Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#497197 Sun Dec 08 2013 07:07 AM
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ok since the broken globe discussion went well I thought I would bring up restored lenses. Restored signs are becoming acceptable more and more in our hobby but what about restored lenses. I know in Matthews auctions a couple of years ago they didn't seem to bring great money. I have only seen one restored lens in my life so I have very limited knowledge of them. I do have a few questions first off let me say this I'm not calling anyone out as I don't no the process and I'm just trying to understand. Unlike a broken lens I know what I have but a restored lens how do you know your getting your lens back? Do they leave some of it original or start fresh, and if that's the case isn't that like repoping your lens? So what does everyone think?

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
s932 #497199 Sun Dec 08 2013 07:14 AM
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Let me say this I'm not talking about one piece globes here as those you can restore one side and leave the other so in that case you know what you have.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #497203 Sun Dec 08 2013 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good discussion Shawn! I always thought that they were able to touch up the lenses.. Years ago the thought was 10% touch up the globe lost 10% value and a 40% touch up lost 40% value. It was Doc Winston auction that I believe was a game changer for restored lenses!
There were several lenses in his auction that had "10%" touch up and Aaron Hop was looking at one and noticed it was restored upside down meaning they stripped all the paint off.
The restored globe market never was same since.
I don't see how you can restore a lens and fade in to match.

I would like to know how they are done!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
s932 #497205 Sun Dec 08 2013 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Somewhere a farmer has a attic , shed loft , etc loaded with a hord of MFA globes waiting for you to discover them Shawn .... I kind of got off subject there , but I have been reading and learning about the globe world on here lately , great topic .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm sorry but my brain stopped at " Restored signs are becoming acceptable more and more in our hobby".
I have yet to see this as a porcelain sign that is restored has not been restored with Porcelain so it's not restored and accepted to anyone I have noticed!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
lets try to keep this thread about restored globes as restored signs can be another thread itself.

I don't own or never will own a restored globe.

My opinion is they have same value as a new repop lens or a cracked lens. Why would I want a lens that has been striped of its paint? I would rather own a cracked lens over a repaint.

Jarvis #497247 Sun Dec 08 2013 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The question EVERYONE should ask in this discussion is how do you strip off the original "fired-on" paint? I would like to say that I believe it is IMPOSSIBLE without breaking the lens. Anyone who knows the old process knows the paint becomes part of the glass when heated in the kiln at 1500 degrees. When the globes would set out in the sun and fade, it would fade from the front of the lens, not the back. So anywhere on a lens that there is fade, would have to be removed. NO blending in could be done. With that being said, I personally believe most restored lenses are made with brand NEW glass. It would take more time for the restoration artist to remove or try to remove the old image than the time to recreate it. I hope no one takes offense to what I have said as this is just my single opinion.

In summary, if you strip a restored sign back down, like I have done, the original image is still there, beat up and all the chips. If you strip a restored lens, you will have your new piece of glass that was started with. Nothing more. I hope T-Way will chime in as to the process and if it is possible to strip an original fired lens without breaking it. I hope this discussion goes the same way and vibe the one on broke lenses did.

s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thank you roger and I hope tway chimes in as well. I also hope it keeps the same vibe.

Shawn Morris
s932 #497461 Mon Dec 09 2013 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Okay - since I was asked nicely! LOL

IMHO it is impossible to 'restore' a lens. ALL the 'restored' lenses I have personally viewed were COMPLETE repaints. I could not see any of the original frit.

As Roger stated, it is impossible to match the faded frit from point-to-point on a lens. Subtle changes in the tone/value of the colors would make it impossible to mix up some paint and have it match across the face.

And there is the added problem of removing ALL the failing frit. Do you just scrape off the loose portions - or do you sandblast up to 'good' color? If you just clean the loose frit off, then you run the risk of more original frit failing. If you sandblast, then you would have a discernible 'edge' that would show through the new paint.

As I stated previously: ALL the 'restored' lenses I have personally viewed were complete repaints. Well, that is not actually correct - all were complete reproductions on brand-new glass!

If you want a reproduction of a rare lens, contact me and I'll make you one done the way they were originally made - and they will be marked so no one gets taken in the future.

A bit of free advice - if you think you want to bid on a 'partially restored' lens on eBay or at an auction. Tell the seller/auctioneer that if you win the piece, you will be cleaning off the paint immediately. If only the stated 'percentage' of 'restoration' comes off - then you will pay for the lens . . . if the entire face cleans off, you will void the transaction.

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #497463 Mon Dec 09 2013 08:13 AM
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Jim that's what I have been waiting to read. I think there are a lot of new members on here that haven't seen one of these and it's great to bring to up once in while so no one forgets just what these are.

Shawn Morris
s932 #497476 Mon Dec 09 2013 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Jim!
You don't see or here of "restored" lenses like we used to.

To any new collector... you can take paint thinner and wipe the backs of about 90% off all the globes and not hurt them. If you have one with loose paint don't touch it!
I clean mine with softscrub and a scotch bright pad both fronts and backs. I wet them first then clean away! I have had some with brown marks and took some 1000 grit sand paper and lighten them up. Again, the originals were frit and fired on the lenses making them tuff.
Some old lenses were painted and those you don't want to wipe with thinner.

If you see a lens that the back is all white and looks like someone has painted it stay away! Be careful of buying lenses with full caulk holding the lenses in. Some did this so you can't take the lenses off to see the back!

Great thread!!!

Jarvis #497486 Mon Dec 09 2013 10:08 AM
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
^ good info right there

-Brian
LSx #497625 Mon Dec 09 2013 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sanding won't remove paper marks by the way.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved