Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jim Perry #767842 Tue Aug 31 2021 02:17 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Attached (I hope) are photos of the white front (or back), one of the green sides, and top of the pump. I have added the spacing of the holes.

I assume that when the pumps were in use there were no decals, but instead the information was on metal plates screwed to sheet metal.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there any place that sells items specifically for the Bennett 371?

2. So based upon the spacing of the holes in the photos, can someone suggest what was likely on the front/back, and sides?

3. What are the two rather large holes for on the top?

4. I have already purchased the glass globe halves and intend to buy the plastic holder.
a. Do I need a globe lamp stand? (e.g. Gas Pump Heaven Item Number CWS)
b. Do I need the metal snap rings to hold the glass into the plastic holder?
c. The hole in the top is 4 3/8" in diameter. What holds the globe to the top?
5. Now that I know that the 371 and 541 are essentially the same pumps, I was going to buy the computer face that is listed for the 541, but I noticed two things: 1) The long edges of the face seem to be turned up and mine are flat and, 2) One of the two originals has two small rectangular slits for the station owner to read sales volume I believe, has the part number 371-M-400-1, and the other does not have the slits, part number 371-M-400-2. Both originals have the hole for the sight glass bezel, but the reproduction for the 541 with slits lacks the sight glass bezel hole. ?????

6. Also included here is a picture of the Bennett tag. A long time ago someone got happy with some weird green paint. My pump is not going into a museum, but what do you suggest?

Gas pump face.jpg Gas pump sidejpg.jpg Gas pump top.jpg Gas pump tag.jpg

Jim Perry
P and B Motorsports
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jim Perry #767876 Wed Sep 01 2021 06:28 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
"c. The hole in the top is 4 3/8" in diameter. What holds the globe to the top?"

I purchased the aluminum 541 globe adapter from gaspumpheaven.com, which I think comes blank (no hole pattern). Had to drill both the adapter and the pump top to match. Think I also tapped the adapter and attached it with machine screws from under (inside) the top. You could also just use countersunk sheet metal screws from the top.

Last edited by jecos; Wed Sep 01 2021 08:28 AM.
Jim Perry #767884 Wed Sep 01 2021 10:52 AM
C
Online Content
C
Jim, I just recently acquired a 371. Seems pretty much original, from what I know. I'm guessing your holes on the panels are for some sort of metal signage. I think the "Leaded Gas" sign has a six inch bolt hole pattern so that doesn't fit your holes. But the 2 holes on the top were probably for a pricer flag bracket. I have that on mine. It looks like a half inch diameter x half inch high cylinder that I guess some sort of ad item attaches. I've never seen the attachment. Search the archives here to find out more. There are pictures of this item. So I think that's what the 2 top hole are. Bob

Jim Perry #767892 Wed Sep 01 2021 04:10 PM
C
Online Content
C
Correction. I just measured the "Leaded Gas" sign. The hole pattern is 5 inches top to bottom and 6 inches horizontally. Looks like that will fit your panels. And just to let you know the I.D. plate attaches to the access door. At least that's how it is on mine.

Jim Perry #767926 Thu Sep 02 2021 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I’ll do my best for you……

1. Is there any place that sells items specifically for the Bennett 371?

A lot of the common Bennet parts in the 300 and 500 series are used on both, if it is the parts you are talking about here. If you want original parts contact Tom Buckles. If you want quality reproduction parts try Ron Scobie.

2. So based upon the spacing of the holes in the photos, can someone suggest what was likely on the front/back, and sides?

The 5 x 6” holes are definitely for “contains lead” signs. The id tag mounts to the access door. I have never really seen one mounted anywhere else from the factory.

3. What are the two rather large holes for on the top?

I’m not sure, but it seems someone else answered that.

4. I have already purchased the glass globe halves and intend to buy the plastic holder.

For proper terminology it sounds like you bought the glass lenses.

a. Do I need a globe lamp stand? (e.g. Gas Pump Heaven Item Number CWS)

You will need a 6” steel globe holder which can be painted, or you can buy a polished steel or aluminum one.

b. Do I need the metal snap rings to hold the glass into the plastic holder?

No, the reproduction lenses fit into the groove in the reproduction plastic Capco body.

c. The hole in the top is 4 3/8" in diameter. What holds the globe to the top?

You will center the metal globe holder on the opening and bolt it to the top with the existing holes (you may have to drill new ones because the pattern may be different). The globe body is held in the globe ring with three set screws that you hand tighten. Google some pictures, it will help you out.

I will tell you one more piece of advice, if you bought the glass globe lenses at GPH, then buy the plastic body from them. They make their own and I don’t believe they are very compatible with the other ones on the market.

Hope this helps,
Steve B.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Jim Perry #767934 Thu Sep 02 2021 08:26 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
These Bennett pumps are a favorite of many OG guys. As you can see, there are lots of people willing to help other members out. Welcome Back.

J
OP Offline
J
I wonder if someone could post photos showing how the light manifold is positioned in the cabinet, and how it it is held in place? Either a 371 or 541

Last edited by Jim Perry; Thu Sep 02 2021 06:12 PM.

Jim Perry
P and B Motorsports
Jim Perry #767959 Thu Sep 02 2021 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is held in with a small clamp that has only one bolt. The 371 and 541 are different.

ctvO4b.jpg

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
J
OP Offline
J
The deeper I get into this ...

Does anyone have a 371 (541?) nozzle hook for sale? (Actually all I need is the lever.)

Is there a 371 Parts Catalog available? The one shown on Tom Buckles' page seems to be missing p. 5 which has the index for the image on p. 4.

Gas pump 371 nozzle hook.JPG
Last edited by Jim Perry; Fri Sep 03 2021 08:29 AM.

Jim Perry
P and B Motorsports
Jim Perry #768003 Fri Sep 03 2021 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The 541 lever is different. The 541 lever is available reproduction. You can make it work if you can not find an original 371 lever.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Jim Perry #770699 Sat Nov 13 2021 04:46 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Using the photos attached, can someone tell me how the per gallon price was set on the Bennett 371? Seems there are two knurled knob plugs attached with chains.

Is there a separate parts/service brochure for the computer?

Thanks!

20211113_161410.jpg 20211113_161821.jpg

Jim Perry
P and B Motorsports
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved