Print Thread
#455956 Sat Aug 17 2013 08:22 AM
P
prowl1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
My friend has an Exide batteries neon clock the same as the one in the picture. It was his grandpa's and he would like to get it fixed. The main issue with it is the neon light doesn't work. The glass tube is not broken. The transformer/power supply appears to be working, he hooked a light tester up and it showed power, so I assume the gas has leaked out of the light. We are curious what color the neon light should be?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
bring it to a neon shop the have a tester that will tell you the color that was in it

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
W
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
W
You might not be getting the correct output [or any] of the transformer if tube is not broken. I have in stock. Be carefull as the output of the transformer is 2000volt to 5000volt. It is a good idea to change anyway if wires are cracked or brittle. Standard electrical tape is not rated high enough to repair output leads on transfromer. Also check for blackness in the glass at the ends of the neon tube. Blacking shows the electrodes are shot and will no longer light the tube. The tube should light up white for this clock, however a neon shop can test as mentioned above.
Jim

www.PetroRelics.com
Clock Parts, Restorations

Last edited by whiteflash; Sat Aug 17 2013 09:00 AM. Reason: additional info added
P
prowl1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Thanks for the replies thus far.
Jim, the glass does appear to be a blackish color on the ends. I'm not familiar with neon at all, if taken to a neon shop, can the electodes be changed out? I told him to be careful when testing the transformer as I thought it had a high voltage.
Thanks,
Ryan

W
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
W
Ryan

It depeneds on the neon shop. The guy that makes all my tubes says it is easier for him to make a new tube then to re-electrode an old one. All old gas has to be extracted before charging on an original.

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
color of neon would be white.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can't judge the condition of a neon tube just from the color of the electrodes. Take it into a neon shop they will test the tube and take all the guess work out of it.

More then likely it is your transformer.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved