Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#402146 Sun Mar 17 2013 08:50 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

We are about to build up a fuel tank truck using a 1937 GMC C&C and an old tank we have.I'm thinking about doing it in Magnolia because they were here in NM,but I have no idea what color/colors they used or even if there was a company standard back then.

I usually try to stay true to history around my place,so does anyone have any idea what color/colors they might have used in the late 30's - early 40's?I don't want to do just another red tanker truck on this one.Some of the books I have on tanker restorations/build ups show multi-color paint jobs.

I'm thinking about working with the colors on their globe with maybe a green cab with a white tank or a white cab with a red tank.

Does anyone know?What do you think?I want this one to be kind of special and eyecatching foe outdoor display.Who knows,maybe local jobbers did what they wanted to back then .Thank you for your thoughts.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Old Iron #402155 Sun Mar 17 2013 09:34 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Hi Wendell,
My only thoughts are that by 1937, (if you're wanting it to be absolutely date correct) Magnolia had been a branch of Socony-Vacuum for several years and I would surmise any tanker made/used at that point would be your standard red S-V tanker with Mobilgas/Mobiloil markings, possibly with "Magnolia Division" noted somewhere on the unit, like I've seen on General Petroleum trucks of the same period. I do not know this for a fact, just speculating as S-V had pretty strict standards for everything else by that point to unify the Socony-Vacuum "empire" and consolidate all of the lesser branches into the company standard.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #402162 Sun Mar 17 2013 09:58 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Darin.I kind of thought that was where we were going,but I wasn't sure on the date.I didn't mention it,but there is another one,a 50's Chevy C&C and a tank for it that will go Texaco if we build it up;that will take care of red.

I guess I'll have to go another brand,maybe a local jobber where i don't have to deal with standards.Or maybe Deep Rock;I've got their paint standards,blue and yellow,from the 50's or so.It might be a stretch to take those colors on back,but I might get away with that much.

Old Iron #402170 Sun Mar 17 2013 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do it in Malco. I like the graphics and colors.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
MATT ALVAREZ #402174 Sun Mar 17 2013 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think, Matt is correct! When I think of vintage New Mexico Oil Company's; Malco Oil is the one that comes to my mind....

IMO, a large blue Thunderbird on a vintage fuel truck would look fantastic!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved