Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#324026 Sun May 06 2012 02:39 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I had an interesting group of visitors come by my place.The group included an aspiring graphic artist and a practicing sculpter who works with blacksmithing and other metals.These young people are from Santa Fe and some of their work is shown in serious art galleries up there.

I thought some of you might be interested in their reaction to the displays I have assembled since both are obviously artistically inclined.To say that it opened their eyes to the huge variety of pieces to collect in this hobby would be an understatement.

Of particular interest was that I think they were suprised at the amount of real art,professionally framed,that is scattered out among my displays.The pieces include paper promos from the 20's on up,calendars,posters,cardboard signs and so on that are the work of professional artists from the period.However,I also display more modern works like signed and numbered prints and of course a print of Nicole's work.

I enjoyed their reaction because they seemed to agree with me in that history never stops and that to preserve and to display the history of the gas&oil industry presenting the work of talented artists putting their creative impressions down on paper or canvas is an important part of the process.Just think,before too long a new generation of artists may not even have the opportunity to find out how this stuff related to everyday life.

In any event,getting young people like them interested in the hobby is one of the things that makes me keep working at it.They,or ones like them,are the future.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Old Iron #324041 Sun May 06 2012 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That sounds like a great visit! I wish Bob and I lived closer and I've already told him that if we go out west for a cactus hunt, your place will be on the must-see list.

I'm guessing they got to look at your yard art as well... smile

Nicole #324252 Mon May 07 2012 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wendell, you and others who regularly open your Collections to the Public, are doing a great service to the hobby... A thank you, to you all.

Any time we can get the "masses" interested in our hobby, we all come out way ahead.... Whether they start collecting themselves or they see an item and pick it up. A bit of history is saved each and everytime.....

Plus on a practical side, if you open the eyes of numerous people to collecting and "gas and oil" items. More often than not, you will be surprised at the items that will find there way to you by someone who remembered such an item in your Collection...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved