Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#322475 Sun Apr 29 2012 09:09 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
This topic gets discussed a lot around here but I don't remember it ever being presented here on Oldgas.We all hear "I only collect pre-1970" or "I only collect pre-war"and so on.

As examples,Steve really concentrates on pre-1930 to go with his old cars.It makes perfect sense to me and his collection is fun to look at;a LOT of old stuff in one place.I,on the other hand don't restrict myself.I display stuff from the early teens,up through the various decades,right on into the 90's.I do it because my collection is dedicated displaying the history of the gas&oil industry and using it as an edcuational toolto encourage visitors to consider entering our hobby.History doesn' stop.Visitors seem to appreciate the development of pumps and advertising over time right on up to things the younger ones recognize.

What do you think?Around here I'm the only one who comes right on up into the 90's I hear a lot of "too new for me".LOL

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
For me, everything starts to get so homogenized by the early 1970s that I have no interest in the later maps and petroliana. The small companies were driven out and the interstate construction boom is over. The large companies had quit giving out interesting smalls in favor of trading stamps in the '60s.

For maps, of course, the most interesting time is the '20s and late '50s, when progress was always being made.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting subject, Wendell.

For me, in the last couple years I have focused mainly on Associated and Tide Water Oil. Along with the Company's that progressed from the merger of the two, up to and including early Getty Flying A items.

Based on my self-imposed criteria, my interests fall mainly along the time-line of the 1920s-1970s...(the later dates because Getty was still selling Veedol over-seas)

I like the "history" prospect of the hobby, but besides some pumps and globes(both of which, I don't collect) not much as survived the period between 1910-1920, IMO. The items that have survived, for the most part are well out of my price range.

For me, the 70s started a decline in Gas and Oil related items. These "newer" items seem to lack the character that earlier items seem to possess.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I collect primarily Texaco. I prefer their logos and items prior to 1972. that was about the time the "variety" of items really started to disappear. And I hated their later Star. Also, for me, it is about nostalgia, I remember visiting my neighborhood Texaco dealers as a kid and liked how their stations were displayed and looked. I also think they did a much better job of marketing in the old days. Just my two cents.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #322502 Sun Apr 29 2012 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally, I like the 20's to late 30's Art deco styling. The quality of the manufacturing, craftsmanship and materials used whether it's a gas pump or other display item cannot be found in the later era's. The advertising, the graphics of the cars, ladies, clothing are reminiscent of simpler carefree times. Even the quality of the packaging that was meant to be discarded from this era is collectible; tin litho packaging.

Being 45 years old I have fond memories of the 70's and 80's. I collect period correct items to display amongst my 70's muscle cars. I will collect and consider just about anything that I remember my parents having or my sisters and I having played with. It's probably my way to escape back to those simpler days and fond memories of my childhood/youth.

I stay away from a lot of the newer stuff simply because it's cheaply constructed and mass produced with very little care, quality control and regard for anyone else and the environment. The corporate world at it's worst!

My collection is a place where I go and escape from the current world to a time when a hand shake and someones word actually held more value then the money in their wallet. Or at least that's the illusion I've created for my self.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Sun Apr 29 2012 10:40 AM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My collection is a place where I go and escape from the current world to a time when a hand shake and someones word actually held more value then the money in their wallet. Or at least that's the illusion I've created for my self.

My sentiments exactly Dave,the handshake and a man's word! It is called "Old School" and I believe we need not apologize for same!
Robert

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Im with Dave. Art deco stuff has the best styling and I really like the history of things made in or right after the depression. I just imagine someone making a sign or pump I have from that era being happy just to have a job. I like some signs from after that era, but pumps cut off for me at 1939.

Kyle DeKoning

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...my 'cut-off' for collecting Gulf is 1970, with very few exceptions...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
The primary brand I collect is Mobil, but to be more precise Socony-Vacuum through the Socony Mobil Co. years of operations. Collecting a company with such a long history could have turned out to be an endless endeavor, so I decided to concentrate my collection on the years 1932 through 1966 when the Pegasus and the flat shield Pegasus logo was used. I have some older Socony items from the teens as well as some Gargoyle items from the 20's and 30's to represent the earlier items the company offered, but I have very few items produced after 1966. When the modern logo was adopted I think the promotional items and marketing just didn't look as good as the older stuff and doesn't really appeal to me that much.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for your responses guys.Actually,I have only a very few pieces from the 90's add most of them are coin banks that look like gas pumps and gas tankers.I put them out on more prominent display after visitors expressed an interest.

The VAST majority of pieces are pre-1970 I think.Isay "I think" because there is an overlap in possible age of some pump plates.From what I know Shamrock plates were made until 1972 and Mobil red "O" plates were made up into the mid-70's.I display both.Also,I display Texaco metal cans dated in the mid-70's.

I started coming on up to a limited extent when so many visitors refered to my place as a "museum".I won't go that far yet,to me it is just still my collection,but I'm moving in that direction.Thanks again.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved