Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#294327 Sun Jan 01 2012 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
As we start a New Year, some of us may take a few moments, to ponder a few of the things that we've learned during the past year. Here are a few things, in no particular order, that I have learned...

Cheap paint isn’t.

Never start a plumbing project, within two hours of the hardware store closing.

People don’t care that you’re handicapped. They just want you to get out of their way.

There is no correct speed to drive a Trash Truck. It’s either too slow, or too fast.

Most of the people that have a handicap placard don’t need it as much as I need mine.

An 11 mm wrench can be used on a 7/16s bolt head.

Cats don’t like it when you pick them up by their tail.

When you call the repair shop about your truck, and they tell you that they couldn’t get in contact with you, you need to explain to them that the phone number is painted on the side of the truck with really big numbers.

A little bit of oil and/or grease goes a long way, and is a lot cheaper than most repair bills.

Headlights always work during a pre-trip inspection, but either fail at night or during a DOT inspection.

One loose ground wire can cause about one hundred different problems.

People will say that quality or service, is the most important thing in business, but they always buy on price.

People with cell phones have no problem reading the number on the side of your truck, if you’re driving too slow or too fast.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Thunder, I don't know much about garbage trucks, but boy, that one about "don't start a plumbing job two hours before the hardware store closes", been bit by that predictament more times than I'd like to admit!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Savinsam
Thunder, I don't know much about garbage trucks, but boy, that one about "don't start a plumbing job two hours before the hardware store closes", been bit by that predictament more times than I'd like to admit!

I have done this numerous times!!! I hate trying to play plumber!! blush

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Being a plumber I have learned I like the call to repair your plumbing before you try to fix it.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cost as much to call a plumber as it does to take a vehicle to a mechanic!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Esse's Garage
I hate trying to play plumber!! blush

...Or electrician for that matter.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL about the phone number on the side of the truck that they couldn't find to call. And yet drivers on the road call it all the time to complain.

Tho I'm guessing you do want to know when your driver thinks he or she is doing the Indie 500 in one of your trucks... shocked

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nicole, His drivers are paid by the Hour = NO HURRY!

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
A few on my list;
Doing the speed limit thru Illinois will get you ran over.

Putting things up for safe keeping, means you will never find where you put it.

Sometimes its cheaper to lock your toolbox and call the mech.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Nicole
LOL about the phone number on the side of the truck that they couldn't find to call.

Its a true story Nicole. One of my trucks was in the shop for repairs. I hadn't heard anything from them, so I decided to give them a call. The foreman said that he had been trying to call me, but the recording said that the phone was disconnected. I told him to grab the mobile phone, and walk out to the truck for me. When he got there, I told him to open the door, then close it. When he closed the door, and yes, I could tell it was my truck, I told him to stand back and look at the side of the truck. I asked him "Do you see the name, and number, on the side of that truck?" He said "oh yeah"... I said "GOOD! Try using THAT number!' Then I hung up on him.

I got a phone call from a very appologetic manager, a few minutes later...

Anything Chevron
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thunder, it looks like you have had a very educational year.

Like others I can relate on the plumbing.

My education this year has been:

In my area I have observed in the long hours I spend on the road:
When making a right hand turn from a left turn lane don’t use your signal, it just confuses people.
State Police Mustangs are sportier looking than yours… and very effective at nabbing speeders.
Drivers on I-465 around Indy believe they would be better race drivers than the Indy 500 drivers.

No matter what petrol item you collect, there is no end to what is out there… ever!

The “Petrol Bug” is forever, you can walk away 100 times and it WILL draw you back.

Daschunds don’t like to go out when it is raining.

5 year old grandkids don’t like the toy trucks you buy them to play with; they want the cool looking ones in the cabinet.

The new FMSCA law of no hand held phones does not apply to Intrastate truck drivers. (meaning does not cross state lines).
Indiana has allowable restrictions of Intrastate only for certain handicapped truck drivers that do not qualify for Interstate licenses.

Everyone thinks it is bad to text and drive… of course this does not apply to them.

There is not a single highway in Indiana that isn’t under construction.

Every driver you see on the road thinks They are an Above Average driver.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DB,

I used to work for an agency where crews, paid by the hour, rushed in excess of the speed limit to drive their trucks to the nearest sandwich shop for long breaks, or back to the yard to drink coffee for half an hour before going home.

Not my crew though, poor guys...

Last edited by Nicole; Mon Jan 02 2012 07:20 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Or when my boss sends me out for coffee he'll simply say...

"take your time going, but hurry back!!" LOL!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I used to have our name & number on the vans till the guy called to complain about a driver (me) that had just cut him off. He was actualy racing to cut me off but didnt quite make it. Of course he had just raced around all the people that were in line waiting. I told him I would fire the guy who was driving. LOL
By the way, Garbage day is usualy the day we find the most litter along the road. Is that common for garbage trucks to loose alot? Or are they not doing something right?

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: hillsideshortleg
By the way, Garbage day is usualy the day we find the most litter along the road. Is that common for garbage trucks to loose alot? Or are they not doing something right?

Its our company policy, that all trash be bagged, bundled, or tied. There are more reasons for that, than we have space for here. Its also company policy, to NOT go running after trash, thats being blown by the wind. Why? Our job is among the 10 Most Dangerous Jobs in America! We are four times more likely to die performing our duties, than a Fireman or Police officer. In fact, one of the companies that we work closely with, suffered two traffic fatalities, in as many weeks. BOTH employees, were outside of their vehicles. We work in traffic. That means, we do our job, while dodging cars being driven by people who have no concern about us. Near misses are an everyday occurance. Its not uncommon for a Trash Service Provider, to be hit by a car. Keep that thought in mind, the next time you toss out a loose stack of newspapers!

Which reminds me of another thing I've learned...

People like to blame the Trash Trucks, for litter!

Anything Chevron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved