Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#238184 Fri Mar 04 2011 12:18 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
In the last couple of years whenever I sell a pump or large sign or anything large to be picked-up,if I don't really know them very well I'll usually tell them to meet me at the local fairgrounds or walmart etc. and do the deal there. I just don't trust people in general as much as I used to. I live in town and yrs. ago everyone in my neighborhood lived there for yrs. and we all knew each other. Today all the houses around me are rentals. Don't get to know any of the renters and don't care to as they usually are only around a few months, a year at most. I used to be in my garage beatin and bangin around till midnight and after with all the lights on and doors open. Now about the only time I raise my garage door is to get my truck out occasionally. I just don't want people around I don't know pretty well anymore. Am I the only one like this or am I getting too paranoid as I get older. :::::::::Ron

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
oillease55 #238185 Fri Mar 04 2011 12:31 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Open up that garage door, just have a Glock 9mm tucked in the back of your pants... with the safety on! Actually I think each neighborhood would be different and you probably know your neighborhood better than anyone else. If I don't know them enough to trust them, I'd probably be a little paranoid too.

CircaDesigns Looking for early AMOCO and SUNOCO items.
CircaDesigns #238190 Fri Mar 04 2011 12:45 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
don't mean to be a smart***, but a Glock 9mm doesn't have a safety.... sorry i just couldn't resist. But always a good idea to have a pistol handy.

oillease55 #238191 Fri Mar 04 2011 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I also live in town and like you Ron used to leave the overhead door to the garage open, even when I took a short trip to the auto parts store or the grocery. For years I never gave it a second thought, I knew my neighbors and they knew me. Now, like you more and more of the surrounding homes have become rentals. I know less than 1/2 my neighbors now and at some of the rentals it is like they have a revolving door on them.

I now never leave the overhead door open. I have a 6' cedar fence in the back and now even lock the side "man" door to the garage. I have been lucky so far, as 3 of my neighbors who have lived in the neighborhood for some period of time have been burglarized in the last couple of years.

As to the age concern, maybe since I am getting older I am feeling a little less secure, because I don't know "the newer" people in my neighborhood?

SO very long story short.... no, you are not the only one feeling this way.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #238198 Fri Mar 04 2011 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow! I guess I'm real lucky as I live in a neighborhood where everything is left unlocked and the neighbors actually watch each others property for any problems!(fire, flood, prowlers)
We leave our keys in the vehicles, the lawnmower sitting out all summer, pressure washer in front of the shop,and the garage door is usually open if the car is being used!
I think that if I lived in a neighborhood like you guys have described, I'd be making major plans to be moving! I just really could not live like that!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Bob Richards #238200 Fri Mar 04 2011 01:34 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Ron I think you'll find your not,the only one. I very seldom lock my doors here,but thats not good habit I know. My neighbors,watch us come and go and keep watch on things. Still when I sell bikes or something big I sometimes,just give someone 10 percent to do the deal,as I don't like people seeing the whole spread. Always afraid they might be shopping,for later visit.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Loyd Pierce #238207 Fri Mar 04 2011 01:59 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
My shop/where I work from, is in the middle of no where in Pa.. I told my brother at his nursery and the guy that rents another building/printing company, always lock up, add and leave lights on, leave radio on talk radio cranked up. What do I know. I am just his little brother that just came back from 25 yrs of working in major cities and traveling the world in a sometimes dangerous job. WELL... my brother got broke in to. Then the printer got his 15k Rhino stolen out of my building he rents. Neither cared what they took. It was the idea that someone messed with their hard work. We now all have a better alarm system, new lighting, steel door frames and bars on the garage doors.
I stay at my shop during the week. They dont laugh at my 40 cal and flashlight beside my bed, my mean dog signs and my video camera signs anymore smile Its not what they take. Its the idea that someone messed with your stuff, that will ***** you off!

always lookin #238273 Fri Mar 04 2011 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I live out in the country, but i also live on the main road 2-lane black top where thousands of cars, trucks and buses pass every day. i'd have to guess that 60% of that flow are locals to the NORTH FORK and the rest are come & go's....visitors....passers-thrus, etc.

I always keep every locked tight and good lighting on at night. I know enough people that keep a watchful eye on my place. Heck, last sunday I got 2 phone calls within an hour about all the people parked on my driveway when i was actually there and knew about it....LOL! it doesn't hurt to check. been here almost 3 years and so far (knock wood) no incidents.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
THE AMERICAN GARAGE #238286 Fri Mar 04 2011 06:04 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
We've actually had a package delivered by USPS stolen right off the front porch. Now we either have all deliveries go around to the back of the house or I have my stuff sent to where my wife works. I have very little trust in anybody around here anymore. All the garages in the alley behind us have motion sensor lights (that's wild when you walk down the street as these row of lights come on one by one) and EVERYTHING gets locked-ALWAYS. It's become a sad world we live in.

........Dave
lordparaffin #238290 Fri Mar 04 2011 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
used to not worry about keeping things locked,but maria is from the city and i get in trouble if i forget to lock up. have had stuff stolen out of my van,when i forgot to lock up.even had a 4 wheeler stolen out of the drive years ago. guess i am kinda trusting,but now try and lock it all up all the time. got adt a couple years ago,just because i didnt want to take any chances and makes the wife feel better.i do have good neighbors who will check if something is going on and i'm not around.1 day my brother parked at my drive when i wasnt here,and the neighbor came and gave him stuff.no complaints from me. agree its a sad world we live in now.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
oldnfuelish #238292 Fri Mar 04 2011 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF they want it, doesn't matter whether it's locked up or not they will take it. Just try to not give it to them, they have to work for it. LOCKED or Buried.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Mar 04 2011 06:23 PM.
oldnfuelish #238293 Fri Mar 04 2011 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ROTFLMAO!!!! One night, we had somebody pull up to the front gates, where he sat there, and blew his horn. He sat out there, without dimming his lights. I walked out front, with my hand on my weapon behind my back. When I asked him what the nature of his visit was, he stepped out, introduced himself, and thanked me for coming out prepared. LOL.

It turns out, he was one of our Deputies!!! He appologized for not calling first. LOL.

It turned out, that some cattle was loose out on the county road, and he was wondering if it was ours.

We live in a rural community, and everybody knows that we are all armed out here. We shoot first, and ask questions later. We are also a "Make my Day" state. So the bad guys, dont really want to play in our sandbox....

I'm in the NRA, and I vote!!!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Thunder II #238297 Fri Mar 04 2011 06:36 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
ID say it doesnt really matter where you are, country or city. A friend of mine has a junkyard down a little dirt road and he and one of his employees live just down the road, well they got broken into one night and someone stole the titles to all the cars and some expensive raceing parts. In the next couple of weeks I noticed some of the vin tags where missing off the cars in the yard. To make it short they found a 1050cfm carb on a old pos truck some guy brought (that was stolen from them) in 2 months later and called the police. The cops got him on a diffrent charge and the guys doing 20 years so they didnt even mess with charging him yet. Usually when I buy or sell anything ill have a friend with me, and the doors always get locked.

Thunder II #238299 Fri Mar 04 2011 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't forget the post on the non-petrol section (page 2 - Sorry! I don't know how to copy the thread address) titled:

Photo tracking possible? Watch This!

My understanding of the thread was if you take a pic with a device with GPS they can locate where you took it. I know from first-hand experience that not all the folks looking at these forums have the best intentions.

I myself got burned by someone crusing on these forums that got my commercial e-mail address from the painting I posted. Now I am getting spam addressed to my husband and I by our names, neither of us have our names on the address. Plus that's an e-mail account I rarely use, except when I am working on a commision with a client, and they wouldn't know my husbands name.

If the person that got my information from that picture is looking at this...please remove my address from your account. I would really appreciate it.

Nicole #238300 Fri Mar 04 2011 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is what Nicole is referring to;
Posted by KW FIRTH;
Here is something that I never knew was possible! This video shows how a location can be obtained from a photo posted online! YIKES if this is true! Anybody know any more about this??

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=7621105

There are is a Few Things that Kevin doesn't know, like how to be 1st instead of close! laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved