Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#230071 Tue Feb 01 2011 10:02 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I think it's great to see so many new guys and gals coming into our hobby.I also think it's important to encourage them,at the local level,so they don't just give up and drop out.I've seen it happen for a variety of reasons.

Those thoughts prompted me to make this post.Here locally we have a few newbies coming in and are considering organizing a visit to their collections by three or four more established collectors to offer encouragement.

The more I think about it,the more I think it would be more beneficial to them to "turn it around".We could arrange a tour of two or three collections for the newbies to view.The idea would be show them different display techniques,concentrations(globes,signs,cans,pumps etc)ann mainly to show them that it doesn't have to cost a ton to have a fun collection!!

What do you think?Any comments from newbies?Thank you for yout thoughts.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Old Iron #230075 Tue Feb 01 2011 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From how some of the collections have been described, I'm wishing New Mexico, California and Louisanna (and other far away locations I can't imediately recall) were closer to Maryland!

I did contact a fellow Maryland collector/dealer last year and hope to see their shop this spring on my way to Baltimore, plus hoping to make it to the Mason/Dixon show.

Don't know yet if I am ready for collecting but will do a lot of looking. I do need to share a warning Tara sent me:

"If you do start collecting, don't put two globes in a closet together. Before you know it, there will be like 25 randomly around the house. ;-)"

Nicole #230076 Tue Feb 01 2011 10:34 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Seeing other collections is always cool!

Last edited by JimmyD; Tue Feb 01 2011 12:39 PM.
Old Iron #230099 Tue Feb 01 2011 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great idea! Take the newbies to see the older collections. The Pacific north west guys used to tour each other's collections regularly. We've done that here in conjunction with the show in Peotone.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #230104 Tue Feb 01 2011 12:48 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Wendell:
When you do the Petro tour, let me know I would like to see too!
Ric

Wanted: Conoco, Marland, Eason, Cliff Brice, Speedway and Oval E stuff!
DuceCpe #230152 Tue Feb 01 2011 02:57 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
well being only 6 mo into the hobby i am a newbie, i have seen several collections and they are all awesome to view, but BY FAR the best was the " Cherry Wall ", i claim credit if the name sticks...lol, i got to meet Roger for the first time yesterday and all I can say is WOW.

AllenBrown82 #230168 Tue Feb 01 2011 04:22 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
That is a good idea. Another would be welcome them here to try to answer their questions here, which most are good about doing. I do have to say that I am not sure I like the new member intro section. I forget to go there and know I have welcomed most new guys when they just posted a question somewhere.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
AllenBrown82 #230169 Tue Feb 01 2011 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One of the neat things about viewing different collections is seeing what everyone specializes in.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #230181 Tue Feb 01 2011 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is a great topic with all the new people joining this defiantly is showing the good side of our hobby, friendliness. Seeing others collections is always been fun for me. Its a great way to meet some good people and see some awesome collections. Feel free to stop by and see me if your in Missouri heading up or down I55. My collection is small but my door is always open.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #230186 Tue Feb 01 2011 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have always enjoyed seeing other's collections.

For the last few years I haven't been able to travel much, so most of my views have been here on Oldgas or by photos sent to me.

I like to think my attitude is like Shawn's "my door is always open". If you are passing through SW Washington State I hope you will contact me and stop by.

This version of my collection is much smaller than some of the others. But I am a show-off by nature and enjoy meeting other collector's.

I've been collecting for a fairly long time, but in some aspects of the hobby I'm still a newby.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Vermonter #230187 Tue Feb 01 2011 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Vermonter
I do have to say that I am not sure I like the new member intro section. I forget to go there and know I have welcomed most new guys when they just posted a question somewhere.

I'm with John on this one. I dont get around to stopping in, and visiting the New Member Forum very much.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Old Iron #230190 Tue Feb 01 2011 05:25 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Newby Like Nicole said don't know if I'm ready to say I'm collecter, but definitely,like to look alot. Was looking at BIC MAC's sell out stuff last night. So much neat stuff. How do you say OK its over selling out. Got bug,my father, dealt in antiques.Quess it was just a matter of when.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Loyd Pierce #230219 Tue Feb 01 2011 06:08 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Lloyd, I don't know how anyone ever gets to that point of saying I'm done and time to sell out but I understand the reasons. I only hope I never reach that point. I want to be a collector right up to the end!

........Dave
Vermonter #230242 Tue Feb 01 2011 07:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Vermonter
I do have to say that I am not sure I like the new member intro section.

Actually, the Welcome New Member forum has been a big success so far. We are now getting a much higher percentage of new members to post a message soon after they join. Once they post that first message, there is a better chance that they will become more active members.

Thanks to those who do stop by the Welcome New Member forum to greet newbies and answer questions. Extending help with a question, helping to post a picture or just being extra patient are all part of encouraging the next generation of collectors. "Paying it Forward"

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #230254 Tue Feb 01 2011 07:46 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
With in the first year of collecting. I hooked up with two of the biggest collectors out there in terms of Texaco/Havoline. Keith Jenicek (Puretex) from Oklahoma and Erol Tuzcu from Florida. It was the best thing I ever did as far as collecting goes. These two guys had it all, and were a wealth of information, always answering those questions we all have when we first start to collect.

I've sold a majority of my collection now, but you can still visit my web site to see some of it.

http://billstexaco.com/default.aspx

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved