Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#219700 Fri Dec 17 2010 09:56 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
It seems like I always get introspective around Christmas.I'm curious as to what others enjoy the most about our hobby,or,what some may dislike the most about it.

Personally,I really enjoy collecting and laying out fun to look at displays that "tell the story" of how they did it.An attempt,in a small way,of preserving pieces of history and presenting them for viewing by people who appreciate that sort of thing.What really keeps me going is when my collection inspires beginners to come into our hobby and then helping them along as they develop their own collections.

There are so many ways to enjoy the hobby.Thank you for your thoughts.BTW,I'm working with a few people right now.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Old Iron #219702 Fri Dec 17 2010 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I love the stuff, and the friends I've met in the hobby...

...I dislike the expense of the hobby, and the liberties taken with historical accuracy...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #219711 Fri Dec 17 2010 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like/love the hunt... the element of surprise when I find something old. I love the meeting of new friends and old friends, whether in person and/or on a site like Oldgas. I love looking at other's collections and hearing the stories relating to the collections.

I dislike .... well I know there are things I dislike about this hobby. I just can't think of any right now.

I've got one,

I dislike ......... being out-bid!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
gulfiend! #219712 Fri Dec 17 2010 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I love the hunt looking for something for a long time and then finally getting it. I like the historical side of it as well. In my own way im saving history. I also like others like all the friends I have made from this site. I hate any reproduction globe, sign, oil can, etc that is not marked as such.

Last edited by s932; Fri Dec 17 2010 10:34 AM.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #219715 Fri Dec 17 2010 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like the history, and the hunt, and the kill, and the people I meet. I dislike unmarked repros, and dishonest sellers, and the occasional blowhard I meet.

s932 #219719 Fri Dec 17 2010 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There's allot to like about the hobby....especially the friendships we've made. Also collecting cool stuff, preserving history, and the thrill of the hunt. My kids were also collectors when I first started collecting. A number of very nice veteran collectors would give cans or other items to my boys or sell them at greatly reduced prices, and offer words of advice and encouragement. We all really appreciated that and I try to pay it forward when I see a youngster showing interest in the hobby.
I don't like reproductions, and downright despise those who make unmarked repros. Its pretty discouraging to chase an original item for ten or fifteen years and once you've managed to buy it along comes a repro (marked or not) that wipes out the value of the original.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #219766 Fri Dec 17 2010 03:32 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The hunt is fun but it’s when you find something you REALLY have to have, that’s what keeps me going. One of my favorite parts of the hobby is to meet other collectors and see their collections. We have met some great people over the years through this hobby, many of whom I would consider friends.

gmstuff #219769 Fri Dec 17 2010 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I enjoy meeting people who share the same interests as us all.

gmstuff #219770 Fri Dec 17 2010 03:46 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I love the items, history, and people I meet. I hate the prices and everyone who relates this hobby to American Pickers. I do watch the show...just to see all the good stuff they pass by, but then again it's just a show.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Fri Dec 17 2010 03:48 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
gmstuff #219773 Fri Dec 17 2010 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like the friends i have met in the hobby. Going to gas shows and talking with friends in person that you normally talk to on the phone or chat with in e-mails. Displaying great pieces and sharing with people not in the "gas" hobby.

Like Bob I don't like reproductions, and downright despise those who make unmarked repros! Its pretty discouraging to chase an original item for 5 or 10 years and once you've managed to buy it along comes a repro (marked or not) that kills the value of my original.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Old Iron #220050 Sun Dec 19 2010 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The thrill of the hunt is especially fun for me. Some of my most prized Sinclair items have came after several years of talking with the owner, the negotiation and anticipation make it fun. Nothing can beat the thrill of opening the door in an old bulk house and laying your eyes on the contents for the first time.
I always like to visit other collections and hear the stories about how the items were found and where they came from...love the stories.
Going to the gas shows and talking face to face, meeting the people you have talked to but never met in person.
Love the road trips. Also helping people with their gas pump restorations. Did I mentions hearing the stories?

Dislikes?....Not enough hours in the day to enjoy it all

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Jarvis #220052 Sun Dec 19 2010 11:03 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
I like the friends i have met in the hobby. Going to gas shows and talking with friends in person that you normally talk to on the phone or chat with in e-mails. Displaying great pieces and sharing with people not in the "gas" hobby.

Like Bob I don't like reproductions, and downright despise those who make unmarked repros! Its pretty discouraging to chase an original item for 5 or 10 years and once you've managed to buy it along comes a repro (marked or not) that kills the value of my original.

100% Correct smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #220069 Sun Dec 19 2010 01:11 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
After being out of the hobby due to self control issues and seeing others with the same problem, I had the phone company string a phone line along the fence post's and trees leading up the road to a hole in the wall I drilled. Some one from the church give us a phone. The kids found a computer in the dumpster and we hooked the computer to the phone line and when studying a medical condition I have that my wife and family dont like I found OLD GAS(hint).
I dont have time or the eye sight or the drive any more to be out on the hunt but I enjoy the heck out of seeing what you all drag in. I dont really know hardly any of you all personaly but I am learning your personalities as you are learing mine. I dont really like large crowds unless I am behind a computer screen. This all is a very good match for me and I really appreaciate what each one of you bring to my life daily. OH ***** I THINK I MIGHT START GETTING CHOKED UP.
Nope I guess not I just had a hunk of hard boild egg caught in my throught
Rick & Jeannie(she likes haveing me home instead of alway on the prowl)

Old Iron #220251 Mon Dec 20 2010 09:19 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for posting your thoughts.I made that post in the hope that newbies would read it and come to realize that as a group we all enjoy friendships,discussing the hobby with veterans and beginners alike,a respect for history and that many of us stand ready to help in any way we can.

For awhile now I thought I was the only only one crazy enough to give away cans,coke bottles,license plates and such to youngsters showing an interest in collecting.Evidently not!!I think that's GREAT!!!

Take it from me.A few beginners will end up reading this post.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved