Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Hud Oil Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
H
Ebay # 130441483087 sign, this sign has been popping up at several meets and I was told this was a fake, what do some of the rest of think of it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF THAT IS REAL LIKE I THINK IT IS, IT'S IN DARN GREAT SHAPE!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THEN AGAIN I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING ON IT ONLINE OR IN MY PRICE GUIDE LIBRARY. BID AT OWN RISK.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My gut instinct tells me that its real. In order for repops to be profitable to the maker, they have to have a built in demand and I don't see that here. Mutual was an oil company that used the running rabbit on the globes, why wouldn't it be here on the sign if its a repop?? The back looks suspect tho. I'm no sign expert but use the old rule, If you're not sure---stay clear!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sign looks a little out of round

RANDY
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I have a Sampson sign that is real deal and that looks like the real deal... Tom

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom--Thanks for chiming in! I thought the same. Repops are usually made in large quantity, so as to make large sums rapidly! With the advent of the internet, I believe its put the brakes on the business. We have to keep watch tho and I understand everyones skeptiscism! This sign is more than likely for real and if you're a bidder--just ask the seller to guarantee it!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I know for a fact that some of these turned up about a year ago and they were 100% FAKE. They have the same looks as the recent Indian repops on ebay.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think GMstuff has got it nailed. I held one in my hand that I just missed at a show. At the time I thought I missed a sleeper. I've wondered since then about this sign. Now my gut says run.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...look how crude the Mutual logo in the center is...this thing's a fake...there's one in the upcoming Daniels auction as well...

Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
In order for repops to be profitable to the maker, they have to have a built in demand

...a sign that just looks really old, design-wise, will be in demand - whether or not there's a legion of brand-loyal collectors for that brand...a good story and some old packing materials, dirt and grime don't hurt either...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It just seems that if they were going to the trouble to reproduce it, there would be several all at once that show up, like the oval gargoyle or the Pegasus with no brackets??
They must be well made to have fooled Greg for a while but you guys know your signs better than most of us, so I'll just assume that you're right. My old rule is" when in doubt--throw it out"!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved