Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Three from Richfield

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Can't forget about Mobil

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Finally, Flying A

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are some I have photographed in collections or at shows.

------------------
Scott Shipers

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
more................

------------------
Scott Shipers

Scott Shipers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
last few...........

------------------
Scott Shipers

Scott Shipers
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for sharing these great globes everyone! Here is a photo of a very uncommon Shell 400 Aviation Dry on 15" metal to go along with all the other great Shell globes we've seen posted. I've got a photo of the rare Shell Aviation with just the word "Aviation" across the shell that I will post later in the week when I can find it.

Aaron

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-17-2008).]

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Great globes Guys, Don't stop now!

Here is a pretty uncommon pair of Cities Service globes on metal. It is interesting that Cities Service did not start using them until 1947 and continued to use them well into the 1950s well after most companies had stopped using metal body globes.

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-18-2008).]

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
These photos come from long time collector / new oldgas member Ted Czerechowicz from Ontario Canada. Doc had posted these photos in Buys of the week a couple of weeks ago and I thought they were worth sharing here. I have never seen a metal body with a cast iron base like this. Resident pump expert Dick Bennet believes that it was used on a Bowser 97 Square Sentry pump. The lenses are also interesting. They are flat perforated metal and the green paint on them has a sand paper like finish. You rarely see these types of lenses in as good a shape as these. They look really cool when lit up with the light shining through the perforations in the letters. Welcome to oldgas Ted and thanks for sharing your photos!

If anyone has metal body globes they would like to have posted, email your photos to me and Aaron will get them posted for you.

We will dig through our photos archives and try to find a few other pereforated metal globes to add to this post. Thanks to everyone who contributed so far!

Lonnie Hop

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-19-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of other perforated metal lenses on metal bodies.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Over the last few years I have picked up a cracked lense here or there, usually for not much money. Obviously the value on a cracked lense is minimal. I have a shelf in my shed that is 10 feet off the ground and one day I put a few of the cracked lenses on bodies and put them up there. From the ground they look pretty good! Please no JJ jokes!

Seriously though each of these lenses are fairly uncommon. The Mohawk is the orange background version and is seldom offered for sale. Check out the detail on Champion globe. There are only a few of these known of in collections but with the detail on the car, the speed lines, and the dust clouds behind the car it makes for a pretty neat globe up high on a shelf.

If you have ANY metal body globes in your collection plaese feel free to post them or email your photos to me and Aaron will put them up for you.

Stay tuned, we have a number of other photos we will be adding in the next few days. Thanks!

Lonnie Hop

710 Offline
Picture of my Associated wall. If anyone has any 15" west coast Associated globes not shown I would love to know it exists.

(Hey Neil, "Letson")

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Only a few companies ever used jeweled metal bodies. The ocasional jeweled body that has turned up over the years generally would have either Sterling or Dixie "Power to Pass" lenses on it. There are small round holes in the body at the location of each reflector and it has a small brass ring that holds the "jewel"n place. Pretty neat bodies when lit up with the light shining through the reflector.

A few jeweled bodies have turned up over the years that have 4" bases like the one pictured here on the left. These have generally been assosiated with the Winona Oil Company out of Minnesota. Any globe with a 4" body dates to the late teens or early 20s. There was also a jeweled body in a West Coast collection that reportedly had a 7" base.

We have several photos that have been sent to us from other oldgas memebers and we will be posting these in the next couple of days. Thanks for all the great posts so far!

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-21-2008).]

P
P
I sure would like to see a picture of a Sterling with a jeweled body. Anybody?

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Posting these two photos for Saivinsam. Neat pair. I do not recall seeing the "The New Premium Gasoline at the price of Motor" globe before. The Freedom Oil Works globe is one that is seldom seen also. Neat globe with the FOWCO spelled up and down and side to side. Thanks for sharing your photos Sam!

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-22-2008).]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved