Next Thread
Print Thread
#790361 Wed Apr 19 2023 06:21 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
So we all know gas pumps are heavy. Has anyone ever actually weighed one? I have to ship an MS70. Anyone know about what it actually weighs??
Also any suggestions on shipping?
Anyone going from Southern Cali to Central Illinois anytime soom

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There are a bunch of existing threads with lots of shipping info.

Click on the magnifying glass icon on the upper right of this page. Then click on "Advanced Search"
On the search page, choose " General Petroliana Discussion" in the forum selection list.
Enter "shipping" in the search term box
Click to select "Search title only"
Click the "Search" button

Jim Potts
Oldgas.com Techie
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Thanks
I checked out Beltmann. Wow! $715!!

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That’s cheap from CA to MI. Try Fastenal too

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted by Steven C.
Thanks
I checked out Beltmann. Wow! $715!!
Here's a thought....can you drive from where you live to the delivery address in whatever State for $715.00? Diesel is running over $4.00 a gallon in most places. Cost to fuel one road tractor is over $1,000.00, at a time. You might think that the freight quote is high but, consider that the truck will pick it up, blanket and stretch wrap it, insure the item and deliver it to the buyer into his garage. All for $715.00? Personally, I think that is reasonable. Consider simply the labor required to do this for you? It might be that you are unfamiliar with this service? That you got a bit of sticker shock but, freight companies need to make a living just like everyone else. I think you might realize that in the long run? I have been shipping pumps for many years. The cost is just part of the business. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Wed Apr 19 2023 03:30 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Try freightquote and uship, they are brokers that have multiple freight companies they work with. You'll be able to find better deals that way and if something goes wrong, they'll be more effective than you dealing with the ship company. You can also buy supplemental insurance through them ($500 and $1000 deductible, respectively). Most shippers have insurance based on weight, and its laughably insufficient, will not cover losses if were to happen. About 3% of freight shipments end up having some kind of "incident".

Delivering to or dropping off at a ship center may save money, not always though. At minimum, avoid residential pick-up or delivery as it will add at least 25% to the cost of shipment. Also make sure that, if using commercial addresses, that they really are commercial addresses and not someone's "home business". Also dont underestimate the weights as they typically weigh the shipments and will charge if you are too low. Also, shipments over 100 lbs require a lift gate (extra money $ typically) unless the pick up and/or delivery addresses have either a fork lift or dock.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Wed Apr 19 2023 08:23 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Gasman. I agree, a lot involved. I don't think quote high at all relative to the task, its just high relative to the value of a/the pump. I'll end up having close to 2k in an ms70.

As for my weight question, I understand depends on the pump, but has anyone ever actually weighed a pump. Are we talking 200lbs or closer to 350ish. Ive lifted several, but I cant really put a number on it.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I usually tell them 300 pounds and had not had a problem yet. The last pump Beltmann shipped for me was $765 or something around that. It was shipped from Pennsylvania to California.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Sounds about right these days. I’ve found that the volume the item consumes on the truck drives the cost up to 1000 pounds. So weight is secondary factor for most gas pumps. Beltman is a good outfit to deal with.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved