Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#771769 Sat Dec 04 2021 08:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Wondering if Mobil ever has used a blue outline Mobilgas Special pump plate with the Pegasus drop leg design like the black outline west coast version. Yesterday while at the Winter Dixie Gas meet a young vendor had one lying on a large tarp with multiple signs that were good original signs. I had never seen this version but, there again, I am no expert. This sign had IR-46 on the lower right side. Didn't get a picture but wish I had. It was made of really thick porcelain coated metal. All the Mobil plates I have are pretty thin and flexible but this one was stiff. Thanks for your replies in advance...Dale

Last edited by Dale Stephens; Sat Dec 04 2021 08:46 PM.

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Dale Stephens #771770 Sat Dec 04 2021 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would say fake. Being thick is no good. Pump plates were thin from about the late 30`s and later so they could flex to fit on curved door pumps.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Dale Stephens #771778 Sun Dec 05 2021 07:59 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Dale, check out the unmarked reproductions on the site here, I've posted many repro and fantasy Mobil plates over the years. I assume the one you saw is the one below.
Darin

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=688345

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Dale Stephens #771785 Sun Dec 05 2021 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen that one before. I looks so wrong in blue. The blue also looks a lot brighter than an original blue boarder. The other red flag is the word gasoline. The west coast say gasoline on them. Even the later square ones.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
DWSheffer #771797 Sun Dec 05 2021 05:51 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Yes, that is the one. I appreciate both of you joining in here. I called the young man over to the side and told him that I thought it was newly made and explained to him about the west coast version being black and east coast being blue and that the west coast version, to my knowledge, was the only one with the dropped leg. Also told him I wasn't trying to run his sign down to hurt his feelings. Only trying to educate him so he might not get burned the next time. He seemed to appreciate me doing that. Thanks again for your confirmation....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Dale Stephens #771802 Sun Dec 05 2021 08:15 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
The sheer amount of fantasy and repro Mobil plates on the market today is astounding. I'm glad I bought the bulk of my collection before the wave of junk hit the hobby. Some of the "pump plates" are so tacky I have no idea who's buying this ***** other than decorators!

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved