Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#763437 Wed May 05 2021 01:01 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I've been collecting porcelain signs (also other petroliana) for many years now, although I'm certainly no expert. I'm just wondering if there is any way to identify porcelain signs that have been restored?

Partly answering my own question: If a known original is available, a close examination looking for any color differences, border sizes, manufacturer names and/or patent/copyright markings, and just always being suspicious of signs that are in excellent condition. I realize that some very unscrupulous people will add aging marks, but it seems like those are mostly on completely fake signs and not restored signs.

Just wondering if there's anything I've missed?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Many of the restored signs I've seen have a very high and unnatural shine to them from the top clearcoat. It stands out to me.....
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Agree with DW once you see a sign restored you will notice it next time.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Everyone that I know of restoring signs puts a clear coat over the whole sign (at the least the whole side being restored if only restoring one side). As mentioned above, this stands out. Although matte clears are out there - if you know what you are looking at you can still tell. Getting out to shows and auctions and seeing signs in person and talking to others about them are the best ways to learn. You can always post pics here for evaluation as well....

M
M
If you take a coin, such as a quarter, and tap it on the sign in various places, if un-restored, it will make a metal sound. If the sign has been restored with body filler and repainted, it will sound like plastic. If the sign has been clear coated, it will also sound like plastic. Rubbing the coin sideways over the sign will scratch clear coat, but not porcelain. The eyeball test is the best method. You need to go to shows, swap meets and other venues and look at as many signs as you can to see the differences in real versus restored.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah, I used to restore porcelain signs, and you have to clear coat them as a final step. Dont think you can do it right at all without the clearcoat.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved