Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#761526 Mon Mar 08 2021 03:38 PM
time Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all,

I'm new here, had a pump for a couple of years and I've started working on the project. I've found a lot of info searching ad glass and other signage here, but who / how are you guys getting face plates restored? I have seen gaspump.com but it seems Ron doesn't do custom work.

I've heard reaching out to a local painter / pinstriper is one method. Though I'm guessing that would end up being automotive paint and clear coating. Is there anyone out there that does porcelain face plates specifically? Any idea on ballpark price for restoring these? In addition to restoring the plate rust, I'd like to customize some of the lettering unique to my pump. So it will definitely be a one-off job.

Any advice / direction you have would be helpful. Just getting my bearing on this stage of my project.

Last edited by time; Mon Mar 08 2021 03:40 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm sure people here can give you advice. A picture of what you are doing would really help.

Restoring a porcelain sign is very labor intensive. Only way I know how to do it is match with paint and clearcoat.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nobody restores these that I am aware of. Most of us just buy reproduction faceplates if we are not going to use the originals. Otherwise find a nice clean pair of originals. Would not be cost effective to restore faceplates.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Online Cool
I don't know of anyone who professionally restores porcelain face plates. One low cost solution is to repaint the face with automotive paint and apply a face lettering decal set available from restoration parts suppliers. Such as:
https://www.vics66.com/decals/pump-restoration-vinyl-decals/m.products/260/view/228

PumpFaceDecal.jpg

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved