Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I thought these cylinder rods would have just dropped out of the bottom but I'm wondering if they too are threaded onto the bottom casting. The top is removed and I've tapped on the rods with a brass hammer, and soaked with penetrating fluid...no luck. Any info out there? I believe this is a G&B pump..not sure.

IMG_20200601_154151.jpg 20210130_185231.jpg IMG_20200601_173000.jpg 20210201_145259.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well we have always just used heat. We have used our torch and heated up the casting so that the rust breaks loose. By heating all the way around the bottom not the rod but the cast iron it expands it. Then put a pair of vise grips on the top portion and it will just twist off but be sure to do it when it is hot not to let it cool off till it is out. It may start to get tighter as it cools and you may just have to heat it up again to get it out. This will prevent breakage of the rods there at the bottom.

Craig
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Put your vice grips as close to the jar base as you can. Work the rod back and forth a small amount before going for the full removal. If the heat has done the trick, it will come out very easy. If it does not, Stop. Try heat again and then wiggle back and forth. If you meet heavy resistance, the rod is not loose and it will twixt off which is not the worst thing that could happen. Drill out and tap.
Joe

B
Boxcar Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Craig, model72... Thanks fellas, will do.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Excellent advise above, I do the same thing often on anything on a pump rusted together really. I go to the torch pretty quickly.

There have been times, if torching isnt working, I will use penetrating fluid after the torch application and let it set for a long time reapplying fluid if I can. You have to let it cool down before adding the pentrating fluid, otherwise it'll smoke badly. I think there is something about torching that opens up the path for penetrating fluid to enter.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Torch method is probably way faster, but my visible pump had its original glass cylinder in place.
Simply took vise grips and attached near rod end(blind hole) and clamped tightly on rod.
Worked the vise grips back and forth using hand power.

At first, zero movement or play, but slowly as the rust got crushed from back and forth pressure rod moved freely.
Slow and steady won the race for me. Did not break off any rod ends in the blind rusty holes.
Your mileage may vary..

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved