Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Man, I would really consider wet sanding the green off to get down to the original yellow and leave it as-is. There are so many restored pumps out there and very few originals left. Would be good to preserve all the existing pumps with good original paint and markings. It's your pump so do what you want but if it were me, that's what I'd do.

Brian H
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
OP Offline
R
So a bit of progress made recently. I have the computer removed completely from the pump. Its in great shape, save for the dirt and grime. I read on a few older posts that its worth it to haul this to a pay and spray to give it a good pressure washer clean out which I did Saturday. Spent the last day and a half drying and seems in good shape. Still needs a once over with some brushes to really make the numbers pop, but thats an easy project for this winter.

I also got a pair of keys made up for the locks. The originals have been long lost to time (despite how we could find the key chains) and I did not want to go with a generic aftermarket set. For $18.50, it was great value and likely a dollar or two cheaper than the aftermarket ones too!

Up next will be cutting out the rest of the rubber hose and working to remove the piping to the pistons and exchanger. Not looking forward to this too much since I know there is still diesel in here and I am expecting it to be a messy job!

20200930_220755.jpg 20201005_212455.jpg
R
OP Offline
R
So been awhile since I posted.....but definitely isn't a reflection of the work!
I havent had as much time to work on this as I would have liked. We had a cold snap in mid/late October so I havented been in the garage as much. Having a 6 month old hasn't helped my free time either!
But its been nice over the last 6 or 7 days so I have made some more progress.

I have prepped all of the doors and side panels. I was not able to recover the tax sticker unfortunately. But I was able to remove it. The Shell decal also has proven difficult to remove. I am expecting it is a lost cause to remove it while maintaining it unfortunately. I guess I won't be framing it after all. Same goes for the decals hidden under the paint. I havent been able to scrape the paint layers off to reveal it. I am confident it is identical to the NOS decals I already bought.

During the cold snap, I managed to get enough of the 20 mins here, 30 mins there time strung together to scrape off the old paint from the metal. I am going to work on removing the dents as much as I can. I tried a bit of buffing and was happy enough with the results, but the scrapes are still too noticeable. When it cools down in a week or two, I am going to try wet sanding to fix this and have high hopes I can restore them.

I also removed the old hose completely and tossed it. This includes cutting the nozzle end as well. I have had no luck removing the nozzle from the hose as it is pretty seized. I soaked it in cleaner for 3 weeks which rid the gas smell and removed the excess gas and gunk, so thats a plus. Once I get going disassembling the nozzle (man I hope I can), I still need to figure out how to remove the pitting.

I also removed the backplate and today removed the electrical housing. The electrical oump was giving me a hard time as I needed some help to lift it enough to get the conduit removed, but finally got it free. I'm going to clean it as best I can but will strip the wiring and try to get it rewired. Hoping to use the original sockets and switch. The electric motor, I likely will sell as I have no use for it. I was going to remove that and the pistons and keep the guts but the pistons have been leaking and I probably won't get around to rebuilding it with new seals anytime soon. Hesitant to keep something sitting around leaking fluid.

As for new parts, I have been able to get some replacement machine screws to replace some that were broken from removal. I am also going to try to find new rubber spacers as everything on the pump is toast! If anyone knows where to buy replacements, I would be super greatful as I can't seem to find any!

20201110_095129.jpg 20201110_095157.jpg 20201110_095213.jpg 20201110_095221.jpg
R
OP Offline
R
And the top. Ots spotless inside!

20201110_100111.jpg
R
OP Offline
R
So now that its getting nice weather wise here in Ottawa, I am slowly getting back at the pump. I was hoping to get a lot of the little things done over the winter, but mostly just accomplished cleaning up the computer a bit.....which ended up sitting on the floor beside my workbench in the basement.
I've been preoccupied helping an elderly family member sell off some stuff (picking and selling has been something I have done as a side hobby for a couple years, so I was happy to help) which has tied me up more than expected this winter. Needless to say, it is exciting to get back at the pump. My goal is to finish the restoration this summer!

To get the gears going, I decided to start with the ad glass. I love the ad glass in my pump. Not only are mine rare but I think they're super fun and unique. They're definitely weathered which I enjoy. I have been on the hunt for replacements as I had concerns these had a crack, but I have only seen them come available twice in the last 6 or 7 years - both auctions that had ended long before I found them. The rubber from the seals was also a problem because there was a clear residue left. Cleaning them up has helped considerably, but left a bit of a stain unfortunately. The glass itself isn't really chipped or beaten up which is very encouraging. There is paint loss but I am going to leave it as is. The shine is still there when I polish them so no complaints!

20210401_111524.jpg 20210401_111531.jpg 20210401_113945.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They cleaned up nice. I really like these ad glass. I may have been the one who got one or two of the past auctions you saw.

Looking forward to seeing your pump done.

Here are a couple pumps with these ad glass and a U.S. pump like yours.

Shell 70s.jpg Shell, Wayne 100.jpeg Shell premium.jpg

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks! I figured it would have been a big battle to clean them up but for the most part they washed clean relatively easy. Now my only problem is the paint loss, but I think I am going to keep the, as is and not have them touched up.

And thanks for posting those picutres!!!! In the years of looking, I have seen pictures with this ad glass once and it isn't any of these, so its been neat to see them elsewhere. It always surprised me since it wasa popular slogan they had for a few years and you'd expect these would be more prevalent.
It certainly is likely you've beat me to the punch on the auctions for these in the past. I will gave to make sure I even the score up on the next one!

R
OP Offline
R
Wow it's been over a year since I updated!
So not much has happened worth updating. The pump had the remaining parts disassembled last summer. I have even tied up with 2 problems since then. Life, and specifically getting married last fall. But also the fact that I can't find anyone locally who can sandblast and paint for small jobs like this.
So my goal this summer is to get it painted and back together. A tall ask and a Longshot......considering we have a little one on the way in August! And I still don't have anyone to paint. But the hope is that I will find someone anyway and get a start.

The other good update is that I was able to find an auction that actually had the "you can be sure of shell" ad glass in it. And of course I made sure I won it! So I have a spare piece of ad glass to potentially replace the stained on that I already had in the pump. So slowly coming together!

R
OP Offline
R
As if I haven't done anything much In a year!
Well I haven't posted.....I have been busy since the weather got warmer.

I have begun the stripping and body work ao I can get things prepped for painting. I have all my painting equipment compliments of Christmas presents and boxing day/black Friday sales so once this stage is through, I shouldn't have much of an issue getting it repainted and re assembled to finish the project. Ideally this fall but given how little time.i got to it last year I am.just going to go with it.

Here are some pictures of the progress with the top plate stripped to bare metal and any rust removed followed by a coat of primer.
Also have stripped the green paint away from the doors which has helped showcase what's hidden under it. The red striped decal I assumed was a decal was actually paint which was a surprise. Also I was able to tell the layering much more clearly from the 50s orangy yellow to the 60/70s more bright yellow. What was a big surprise was finding a layer of red that covered the whole door at one point and more surprising was that this was between the yellow layers. This was a surprise but also made me think more of how I want to repaint as I had not expected this. I'm also going to consult my pictures from when the pumps were in operation back in the 50 and 60s and see if I can make some decisions.

I also need to find the paint code for Shell red from this Era. I have the PPG codes mentioned on here a few years back but may end up going with Sherwin-williams. So that's something to also do. My other option is getting a Nix mini 3 and trying to do an exact match to the couple of paint swatches in the oump that are untouched by time and the elements.

R
OP Offline
R
Here is the top plate

20230623_104900.jpg 20230623_104903.jpg 20230623_104907.jpg 20230623_104911.jpg
R
OP Offline
R
And here is the work on the doors so far.

20230706_213232.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice progress. The all red door was done sometime in the early to mid 50`s on the Premium pumps.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks!

Yeah I was having a hard time trying to figure out if it was premium or regular that they did this on.
All the more adding to the mystery as I have been repeatedly told that this was always a home heating oil and eventually diesel pump by family members. That said it was very possible this started on the island as a premium pump before being replaced and moved to heating oil. I have to say that this project has also been fun in that it's provided these little mysteries to unravel.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looking good, I like the Gilbarco's, I've done a few of them.
Ken.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks!
I'm biased of course but I always did think Gilbarco had the nicest designs for the most part.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved