Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#718609 Wed Oct 24 2018 01:13 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I found this pump for sale on EBay today. I am not the seller, nor am I interested in buying it. But I wanted to discuss the restoration. As background, I bought an M&S 80 restored to Conoco about 15 years ago and earlier this year I sold it to a long time Conoco colleague and I bought a Tokheim 36B. The Tokheim 36B was in red Texaco colors but I fairly easily re-branded it to Conoco by adding a Conoco Ethyl globe and adding "Conoco Ethyl" ad glass. I had to have the "Conoco Ethyl" ad glass custom made by Jim Treadway since it wasn't one of the stock ad glass panels offered by the pump restoration supply websites that I found.

This particular M&S 80 is one of the best I have seen in Conoco. The Royal brand of gasoline was only sold for around 3 years (1957-1960) so it is fairly rare. I am not a globe expert, but the seller states that the globe is original...and it certainly looks nice, must nicer than the reproduction globes that I have owned. The large Conoco triangle decal is the appropriate size (they were large during this time period, and smaller beginning in 1961). The only quibble I have is that the original decal would have been the large triangle, but with "Royal" rather than Conoco on this pump. I am attaching a photo of a Royal pump (from the Chumbley's Auto Care website) that shows the proper decal.

I suspect the person who restored the pump found that a Royal decal was impossible to find, and settled for the similar Conoco decal. I certainly understand since I found that new ad glass (in Conoco) for the Tokheim 36B was not possible unless it was the one or two most common versions.

Overall, I like the pump a lot and if I didn't already have one I would jump at this one. Yes, I could buy a second pump but then I would need a new wife :-)

Andy

M&S 80 - Royal w large triangle logo.jpg Photo - M&S 80 pumps  Indianola, IA (Chumbley's) #1b.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
I
I
buy the second pump

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved