Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#718092 Mon Oct 15 2018 10:04 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I found this box of matchbooks on the internet the other day, and the Conoco logo is very odd. I have seen an awful lot of the Conoco logos over the years, but I have never ever seen this one. I suspect it is a misprint. The lettering of the word "CONOCO" appears to be in line with similar lettering I have seen, but the letter C logo is very strange. The blue color is also unusual.

Has anybody seen this logo for Conoco before?

Conoco matches - odd logo #1.png (707.7 KB, 232 downloads)
Conoco matches - odd logo #2.png (702.76 KB, 186 downloads)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The paper wrapper says "British Made". Perhaps a British logo, or a different Conoco altogether from the American company.

I should have said the cardboard box says British Made.

Last edited by SandPCollector; Mon Oct 15 2018 10:25 AM. Reason: Added last sentence.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for pointing out the origin of the matches SandPCollector. Conoco began with "downstream" operations (gas stations, refineries) in Europe in the early 1960's but I don't believe they ever used the Conoco logo in Europe. They use Jet in the UK and Germany and Austria, and they used SECA in Belgium. They originally purchased a chain called SOPI in Germany and their original logo in Sweden was ARA Bolagen, while they converted to Jet in the Nordic countries. I know this because I worked in the European downstream division in the early 1980's and I later worked in Europe for four years as well. Thus, I suspect the logo isn't an international Conoco logo but it could indeed be from a totally different company.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I recommend you check out Ian Byrne's map site. He's incredibly knowledgeable on foreign companies, and has extensive information on them if you ever need any. The logo you have above is shown on the Conoco Jet site (http://www.petrolmaps.co.uk/jet.htm), and says that it was a logo that was tested for use, but never used. Very interesting that there were matches made for a logo that wasn't used!

I take it that you didn't buy the matches, but just saw them? Were they for sale? thanks!

Alan

Last edited by mapper; Tue Oct 16 2018 08:01 AM.

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Outstanding find, Alan!! You nailed this one. I was not aware of this brand in the UK, because it was not on any company logo or in any company photographs. In one of my early jobs in 1985, I prepared speeches for our European Vice President and I had slides of many petrol stations in the UK. But none had this "C" logo.

By the way, speaking as a 30+ year Conoco employee who spent plenty of time dealing with European downstream operations - that map site of Ian Byrne is well done. He has a pretty good handle on the history of Conoco in Europe.

I found the matchbook on an auction forum but I am pretty sure it was an old (closed) auction. It may have been EBay or Worthpoint, something like that. No, I didn't buy them.

Andy

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Andy. I was hoping I could have gotten one of those matchbooks for myself.

Ian has an incredible amount of knowledge on both American and European oil companies. He writes feature articles for the CTO! magazine. Very interesting stuff.

Thanks for the post!

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved