Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#715030 Tue Aug 14 2018 02:52 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I recently acquired a Gilbarco Model 906. There is no ad glass below the window where the main glass or "computer" is located. I cannot find one of the internet to identify it more specifically. I would also like to know what it may have said below the Chevron logo. Can anyone help? Thanks.

IMG_1565.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
belgreenhills #715033 Tue Aug 14 2018 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The ones with out ad glass are not very common. They must have not been popular back when they were new. I like these with out the ad glass. The lower decal would have been a tax amount.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
belgreenhills #715034 Tue Aug 14 2018 06:03 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am not a Chevron guy (I am a Conoco guy) but I will take a stab at this one. Hopefully a Chevron expert will come along and give us both the right answer.

I looked in the Gas Pump Restoration book and am attaching a Chevron page from that book. They show a decal "An SO product" on the bottom of pumps from that era. And I also found a photo on the internet of a pump with that same decal. However, I suspect that the Chevron decal on your pump is from a later era (late 1960's?) and thus you have a pump from the 1950's that was updated with decals from the 1960's when Chevron introduced new logos. I found a photo of what I believe to be the newer logo and they show a sign with "100" below the Chevron logo.

Around 1962, Conoco began using diagonal (and later horizontal) decals on the pump skirt and those decals indicated "regular" or "premium" for example, showing the grade of gasoline. I wonder if Chevron's decal served a similar purpose.

Good luck.

Guide to Gas Pump restoration.jpg Chevron station.jpg IMG_1647.jpg
belgreenhills #715038 Tue Aug 14 2018 08:35 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Wow! You guys are a plethora of information. Thank You. This certainly gives me something to go with. In light of this news, I was considering changing the 'brand' to something else, but I believe I will keep it Chevron. Also, I am a Graphic Designer and can literally make any logo for this. Should I find out what the logo looked like on here originally or remake the one thats on there now? (I have also decided not to restore this pump - I like the patina that is on here)
I do think, I'll replace the rubber and polish the metal trim pieces.

Last edited by belgreenhills; Tue Aug 14 2018 08:37 PM.
belgreenhills #715042 Wed Aug 15 2018 01:23 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Here it is only two weeks after my new Gas Pump Bible comes out and someone posts a picture of a pump that I didn't have a copy of and of course is not in my new book. With your permission I will add it to the next book, but of course it took me 10 years to write the new book so if I live to be 93 there might be a number four.

As to all the Chevron stuff. Too many assumptions are made when it comes to branding a gas pump. Many assume that if the pump has a Chevron decal on it, it was a pump that belong to Chevron. How about the guy who owned his own station and he decided to purchase his gasoline from Chevron. Chevron reps would come out, bringing decals, signs who knows what, they would put all these items on anything including the pump, they didn't care what the pump looked like. Contrary to most belief, Shell, Gulf, Standard, Chevron, etc., did not own every pump that has their decal on them. Many station were owned by local oil/gas distributers, some just owned by mom & pop. Many localities had people who owned a few stations and they just purchased gasoline from a local distributor who gave them the best deal. Here in the St. Louis area there was a company called the Milton Oil Company. Tis company had over 100 stations up and down this side of the Mississippi river. They sold gas under the name Milton and Dixeal but as far as I can find they did not own there own refinery, they just purchased their gasoline from again who ever gave them their best deal.

Don't make assumptions.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #715049 Wed Aug 15 2018 08:48 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Jack, what the heck are you doing thinking or talking about a 4th book? Sounds like grounds for Divorce to me

belgreenhills #715050 Wed Aug 15 2018 09:18 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
To add to what Jack said about dealers and jobbers changing brands, we saw that frequently at Conoco. An independent station owner might be branded (for example) Sunoco and if he got a better offer from Conoco, he would switch and brand his pumps to Conoco. The representative from Conoco would provide him the new signs, logo, decals, etc. for his station and pumps and the dealer would remove the Sunoco signs and decals and replace them with Conoco. It might be that your pump was one where the dealer didn't do a very thorough job of removing the old decals.

In my collecting of photos of Conoco gas pumps, I have run across quite a few very amusing pumps that are probably similar to yours in that they have a mix of decals and maybe even a mix of time periods. Here are two examples for you. The first pump has the Conoco gasoline ad glass from the 1955-1960 time period. The "Kerosene" sticker is out of place and would not likely be on a retail gas pump. And finally, the Red Crown decal is from another company (Standard Indiana?). The second pump has the Royal ad glass from the 1957-1959 time period. It also has the diagonal "Regular" sticker from the 1962-1967 time period....which contradicts the "Royal" which was a premium grade of gasoline. Finally, the Conoco capsule is from the 1970+ time period.

You may have a pump similar to these two....with a confusing blend of decals.

Best wishes.

Wayne 80 - Conoco.jpg Wayne 80 - Royal w Regular diagonal logo.jpg
belgreenhills #715070 Wed Aug 15 2018 02:24 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I found two photos of a Chevron station with the same Chevron logo that you have. The photos are front and back and they serve to demonstrate very clearly the issue you have. That is, the decals are inconsistently applied - notice how one Chevron sign is much lower than the others. Also notice how the horizontal decal "Premium" in the foreground of the first photo is lower than the decal on the middle pump. There also appears to be a horizontal decal across the top of the pump skirt (just below the glass bezel).

Best wishes.

Chevron pumps.jpg Chevron pumps #2.jpg
belgreenhills #715093 Wed Aug 15 2018 09:44 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I’m a graphic designer by trade and I worked up a graphic last night and made it this morning. I hope nobody hates on me, but I took an older chevron logo and modified it slightly.

D545D5C0-5C7F-42B0-A15D-DDB4895E2CC5.jpeg
ConocoRetiree #715094 Wed Aug 15 2018 09:45 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for sharing the pics.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved