Print Thread
#66836 Fri Jun 17 2005 02:46 PM
P
Pablo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
I replied under this topic posted over in the "General Discussion" section but this section is more appropriate for auctions...

I'm always amazed at the huge disconnect between live auction prices and real world prices!! Seems like the really deep pockets show up for these events and egos become a big factor in the auction results. Granted, a few of these are one of a kind items but some of the more common signs and globes sold for double or triple my guess of "market" value (whatever than is!!). Can you imagine trying to get these kind of prices on eBay??!!

FYI - I like to print out the auction results for future reference. However, if you intend to print the results keep in mind that in previous Aumann auctions the photos disappeared after a couple of days. Then, you have to click them each individually to view the image.

On the $26K Texaco globe > I'm no globe expert but can anybody explain why that Texaco chimney top globe has a white outlined 'T' rather than a black outlined 'T'? The white 'T' didn't come into use until the early to mid 1940's (depending on marketing region). So, isn't this supposed to be an early globe??

Anybody tally up the total take for the auction??

Paul

#66837 Sat Jun 18 2005 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul:

I'm not a globe expert - but I beleive the 'white' T is due to the fact that it's a painted etched globe. There is not really enough room to put the black around the lettering with the etching and make the logo look correct. Maybe Bob (or one of the other globe experts) can chime in and let me know if my guess is correct.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

#66838 Sat Jun 18 2005 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Actually, the white T was used first in the early years of 1910's until the black T was adopted in the early to mid 20's. Then in the 40's, Texaco went back to the white T. I have seen a few other real early Texaco pieces with the white T.

#66839 Sat Jun 18 2005 05:34 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Great info Roger. I didn't know that. You learn something new everyday. BTW, if anyone doesn't know, this globe was used from 1915-1917 according to the globe book...and priced at $5,000-$7500.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved