Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#697896 Wed Nov 01 2017 05:34 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Trying to remove the sight glass from a Tokheim 39. I've got the outside ring with 8 screws and gasket removed. However, the glass itself seems "glued" to the assembly. I've scraped out all the material between the edge of the glass and the recess that the glass sits in. Tried to pry out the glass with no movement. Is there a solvent that will work it's way underneath the back side of the glass to loosen it?
I'd like to reuse this sight glass but it looks like I might have to break it out to remove it. Trying to get it out to clean the brown gas crust lining the inside. Thanks Bob

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Bob,

Believe when I say I've removed hundreds. Yes they stick but I just give them a love tap with a plastic hammer sideways on the outer edge by the dome. If you try to pry with a screwdriver they will crack where you pry.

If my method makes you nervous then buy some Gum Out at the auto parts store and hose it down to loosen it.

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks, Tom
I have the pump horizontal on a work bench. I'll take both suggestions as time is not a concern at this time. Just a fun project.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Like Tom says, hit it with a rubber mallet and they will pop right off. Just make sure you catch them!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the good advice. Hope I have good reaction time! Letting it soak in gumout right now. Bob

C
OP Offline
C
Popped right off on second hit. Great advice, I didn't realize how thick the glass is. Cleaned all the brown haze with undiluted Dawn dish soap. Worked well. Any advice for replacing the propeller? Looks tricky with all the years of rust. Thanks again.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved