Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#684417 Tue Apr 11 2017 12:59 AM
kenr Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I recently purchased this sinclair sign. From my undetstanding it was only manufactured for one year due to lawsuits. So I was wondering if there is a sinclair historian out there that could share there knowledge thanks

$_3 (9)-600x1237.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fairly hard sign to find. field of sign is pretty nice too.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am not sure as to what extent lawsuits came into play. Sinclair was one of the largest industrial companies of the twentieth century, with lubricants for every potential use, one of the broadest lines to be found. Sinclair Pennsylvania Mobiline was a relatively new product in the late 1920s, although I've never seen a firm date as to exactly when it was introduced (see note below). Pennsylvania grade crude oils were considered to make the best lubricants, and any "Pennsylvania" oil was considered a premium product. Sinclair, largely a mid-continent refiner, had used crude oil from Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and other mid-continent oil fields. Somewhere I've seen it suggested that Mobiline was introduced in 1928, as Sinclair's first Penn grade oil. At the time Vacuum Oil was primarily a lubricants manufacturer, and had used the trademark Mobiloil in the U.S. since the early years of the century. In the time period between 1926 and the 1931 merger with Socony, Vacuum was in expansion mode. They were expanding their "Mobil" prefix to other products, Mobilgas in 1929, Mobilgrease, etc. As I've heard, in expanding their use of the Mobil prefix, they purchased from Sinclair any claim to use of the Mobiline trademark, under threat of legal action that neither could afford. It is my understanding the Sinclair Pennsylvania Mobilene became simply Sinclair Pennsylvania in early 1931. I'll see what we can confirm about this interaction between the two companies.

Last edited by Carolinatraveler; Tue Apr 11 2017 06:32 PM.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The book shows the above sign being used from 1929-1931. It also shows the same style sign with Pennsylvania on it being used from 1931-1940. (The Opaline version from 1929-1940. This includes the flat and cookie cutter styles) I have also heard about copyright lawsuits but do not have any good info on it right now. Popular sign, not the easiest to find.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved