Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Project Car auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Donovan Offline OP
OP Offline
Found at an estate sale. They only had 1 other (vintage) sign (non soda). They had many other old collectibles. Wish I knew the story on this.

My wife says I bought someones school project, lol.

If fantasy, why die cut the wood and metal bottle? Solid wood base, about 28" tall and it's hand painted. I can see pencil marks around some letters.

Fantasy piece, pre production piece that never was approved or ? Thanks for any insight.

Collect- Old Bakersfield CA. fence signs, Porcelain Dairy/Soda crate tags and shopping cart signs.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
It's a great piece regardless of whether it's a pre-production piece. Well executed in my opinion, and definitely made many years ago (as in 40+)

I would expect a pre-production piece to have a real counter-part as a production. What I mean is that if there is a very similar production piece out there it would lead credibility to that thought.

I had a pepsi clock a couple weeks ago that was said to be pre-production where the center was a bottle cap and the face was a 50's era pepsi logo done as a cutout and painted. It came from the right area to possibly be that, but without documentation or anecdotal evidence at most I could say it's possible, and I could find no production version similar enough to say it was.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Donovan Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for your thoughts. I agree on their needing to be a post production piece similar to this one. Unless they scrapped the idea and went a different route. We've done that quite a few times in my occupation. Think my next route is to start buying some soda reference books/price guides.

The only kinda similar piece I know of is this one

Collect- Old Bakersfield CA. fence signs, Porcelain Dairy/Soda crate tags and shopping cart signs.
S
S
Cool piece... maybe a prop for a play... I would think a prototype for a display or pre-production piece they would
have silk screened or maybe just printed out the artwork...
As a graphic designer, this freehand painting, to me, doesn't have the "finished look" you would want to take into a company meeting to pitch an idea for. The artist back then
would have/could have done a lot better freehanding the
text/fonts than this.
Still a great piece. Wonder if Royal Crown had a display like this.

Donovan Offline OP
OP Offline
That makes sense. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted By SinclairHC
Cool piece... maybe a prop for a play... I would think a prototype for a display or pre-production piece they would
have silk screened or maybe just printed out the artwork...
As a graphic designer, this freehand painting, to me, doesn't have the "finished look" you would want to take into a company meeting to pitch an idea for. The artist back then
would have/could have done a lot better freehanding the
text/fonts than this.
Still a great piece. Wonder if Royal Crown had a display like this.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved