Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#679215 Sun Feb 12 2017 09:24 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
What I have here is a fairly common early Clearvision Pump Co. Toronto visible. But what I've never seen before is a pump like this fitted with Shell badging and the rest of the accessories. All items on this pump were once nickel plated I believe including the castings and cylinder conduit. The jar lid and bonnet are both porcelain. The cylinder I have with this pump measures 12" x 24" which is not normally the original size for a Clearvision or a SSE. I believe the cylinder belongs to this pump as the electrical conduit's threads are nickel plated and has not been cut down. The front door opens to which nothing is behind that would need servicing or required to operate the pump. Maybe an event show display pump???? I'm not sure and would sure appreciate any info if somebody might have knowledge of or an opinion of what this pump exactly is or had been used for.

IMG_20170212_080457.jpg IMG_20170212_080645.jpg IMG_20170212_080719.jpg IMG_20170212_080811.jpg

Daryl
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have no idea but I like it. Cool pump

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
very cool

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
retractable hose?????

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
No retractable hose. The hose outlet pipe is at the rear but can't be seen in pics.

Daryl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just guessing, but maybe someone restored it 25yrs ago and added the shell emblem & had some of the parts nickel plated?? Again just guessing?? Chris

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I'm not terribly familiar with Clear Visions as we just don't see them out this way but I would have to agree older restoration with some real liberties taken. Look at where the paint is chipped/scratched...looks like a repaint to me. I'm guessing someone just hung the extra pieces on there to dress it up. But the porcelain top is interesting.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
First off, thanks to those who commented. Much appreciated. Yes it appears the pump was restored at some point years ago. I'm just not sure many people would go the extra expense to nickel plate the parts and I certainly didn't let the theory of add on pieces not be considered. Since posting this I have been informed that these Canadian pumps were built for Shell and used for display purposes at major cities for grand opening events. They were never intended for dispensing gas only for display purposes and swapped out after the event. Is it true??? I'm not sure and I'm going to try and document this lead.

Daryl
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
That would sure be cool if it was true. Keep us updated!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Display / prototype....maybe they do it with other things. Maybe a concept pump? Who knows???

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would like to know if there is any numbers behind the shell sign or on anything else. Them numbers might give up a patent date. Then we might know if them are factory or note. Just a thought

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
great find Daryl , really interesting . good luck

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a porcelain bonnet and ring and have seen them on normal/regular ClearVisions before. It is my opinion, that this pump has been pimped out by a previous restorer.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved