miles1 #680287 Thu Feb 23 2017 02:31 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Essco

I feel the same way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sid

Last edited by trifiver; Thu Feb 23 2017 02:31 PM.

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
miles1 #680288 Thu Feb 23 2017 02:45 PM
M
miles1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
So if you buy a brand new pickup truck that you really like and next week the neighbor down the street buys the same truck and parks it in his front yard you still like yours just the same? doesn't bother you a bit because you originally liked it when you bought it?

miles1 #680291 Thu Feb 23 2017 03:15 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Nope my truck 2015 HD 2500 Was the first Lifter Black Chevy Truck sold on the West Coast

Now in Kelso,Wa there at least 6 Black ones and many white ones

Still like mine the same

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
miles1 #680292 Thu Feb 23 2017 03:15 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I think longer in the hobby and the more homework you do the better you can speculate. Lot of info can be learned,how long company was in business,what regions they were in states etc. No not like cars where one can find by vin.numbers yes this is special order one of one. Sorry petro just not that easy,education is your best friend,and yes I somewhat see your point but when I see something emerge that I knew was out there but I thought I would never see come to auction I get excited! Show me three of them in a year and I'm turning flips. Why because I've done my due homework. Your worry that buyers will play out-- well not in the near future.
Through educating myself I know when to get excited! It doesn't matter if its one in ten years,or a half dozen.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
miles1 #680315 Thu Feb 23 2017 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It doesn't matter that more rare items are being auctioned in a short period of time. There are still the same number in circulation.
Just because particular items haven't sold at high profile auctions doesn't mean they haven't been sold. The majority of petro collectibles sell at swap meets, on FB, or privately between collectors.

Rarity and desirability are not the same. Desirability (great graphics, or an item from a highly collectible company) affects value much more than rarity.

Don't discount what new collectors might spend. There are some new collectors dropping some serious cash.

With all of the high profile auctions, more petro swap meets than ever before, and the huge number of items selling on facebook, prices are higher than ever. I just don't see prices dropping because Morphy has so many auctions.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
miles1 #680414 Sat Feb 25 2017 05:12 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By miles1
So if you buy a brand new pickup truck that you really like and next week the neighbor down the street buys the same truck and parks it in his front yard you still like yours just the same? doesn't bother you a bit because you originally liked it when you bought it?

If you want the rare stuff that you do not see very often, then stop buying Texaco and Esso stuff as there's tons of it. Buy Gilmore, Musgo, Grizzly, Wasatch, Chief, or any of the other boutique oil company products, hang it on your wall and enjoy it.

If you're trying to compare what's appearing at auctions to benchmark the rarity of the stuff in your collection then you're looking at it all the wrong way. If you're a collector, then collect what "YOU" want and just enjoy what you have.

miles1 #680424 Sat Feb 25 2017 09:03 AM
M
miles1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
About 20 yrs ago I bought a couple of NOS tin Kelly tires flange signs with the smiling girl graphic. Naturally, I knew there were some in circulation but never really saw any except for an example that Aumann auctions sold (I think back when they did the Iowa auction?)for $18000 something. In October 2015 "A-Ok" auctions in Virginia sold another excellent example that realized $12500. Soon after Morphy, then Meccum, then Morphy and then someone else offered very nice examples and I think the last one realized like $6 or $8k even though it was just as nice as the one that brought twice the money several years and several examples previous.

miles1 #680480 Sat Feb 25 2017 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How many of those Kelly signs had major restoration? I know of at least one that sold at a high profile auction.

How many bidders were still bidding when the price neared 18K or even 12,500? That's the thing about auctions. You don't know if it was 2 guys in a p***ing match, or several bidders that had the same idea on value.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
miles1 #681402 Tue Mar 07 2017 12:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thinking its similar to the stock market..has to crash at some point. Like it or not, general interest is on the decline. This has been discussed numerous times..

miles1 #681411 Tue Mar 07 2017 01:56 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
What???stock market is the best investment I've ever made.Gas and oil is the 2nd best.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved