Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#662897 Mon Aug 08 2016 11:40 AM
T
tbert1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I was wondering about other people's thoughts on Iowa Gas this year.
I was not interested in the auction on Wednesday so I arrived Thursday morning to start looking for the items I needed.
I seemed to be a good show but was starting to die down before noon and people had packed it in early afternoon. Looked like most people had packed up and left early Friday morning. I realize that the heat played a part in people leaving early but for the guy taking a couple of days off of work to go to the show and only get a little over half a day was a little disappointing.
I talked to a few people and they said they were selling some stuff as early as Tuesday night. I love coming to Iowa Gas and looking for some things to finish projects of items to start a new one but it seems like I'm always a day late.
I don't have the time to show up a couple of days early to wait for every trailer to roll in and check everything out even before the vendor has time to unpack.
I don't mean to complain but it just seems the nature of this show. I really don't know if it can be changed. The new format this year didn't seem to help much. It is just the nature of the beast I guess.

Mike

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
tbert1 #662903 Mon Aug 08 2016 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the format was as confusing as ever. the optimism for the new change in format was short-lived due to the last minute change in the setup schedule. something has to be done to correct the schedule, and i think everyone knows it, including the promoters.

the heat did play a factor too... I was setup outside all day Thursday and hardly did any shopping because it was nearly 110 heat index out on the asphalt. It also seemed that overall foot traffic was down a lot compared to last year, but the heat could have been a factor.

I stuck around and setup for a little bit of Friday, but I shouldn't have... there was just no foot traffic at all. I saw maybe 10-20 people roll in.

As soon as setup is allowed, vendors are going to sell and shoppers are going to buy... so trying to control that is impossible. Peotone and CTO both manage to have auctions and still control a schedule, so Iowa Gas should be able to as well.

I look forward to seeing what next year brings! (I dont envy the promoters) I just hope it results in moving it more towards the weekend, instead of taking up valuable work-days.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
tbert1 #662907 Mon Aug 08 2016 12:17 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
It was the worst show there in the last 15 years. This year was poorly planned.
But for me even thou it is 8 hours longer drive I believe that with new ownership that The Check The Oil show will become the best show in the country

tbert1 #662908 Mon Aug 08 2016 12:41 PM
C
C
I'm good with weds auction Tuesdays set up Thursday should be last day.just don't tell me set up is weds afternoon,and change it two weeks before the show. Three day show,in the middle of week leaves the weekend to go to street rod show or the 127 etc.

tbert1 #662910 Mon Aug 08 2016 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
This is all very disappointing to hear.
I can't believe it was the weather,as this has always known to be hot show each year,and still people/vendors show..
And X2 on other shows like CTO & Peotone policing & controlling their format.

What was Iowas room to room trading like this year?

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
tbert1 #662912 Mon Aug 08 2016 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's a schedule:

- Parking lot opens at hotel check in on Friday (usually 3PM?). People can then park and start setting up. The show is 'on' until dusk - or later, if there are lights in the parking lot. Might be better at night anyway, since it would be cooler. Never seen buyers complain that it's too dark in the morning to shop, so it should be fine in the evening as well. Room-to-room that night.

- Show (inside and outside) continues Saturday at dawn. Auction Saturday night.

- No pack up allowed until Sunday morning, at the earliest.

That schedule allows for those who can't take off a week from work to attend.

Promoters: set the schedule and stick to it. Vendors: attend the show and follow the rules.

If you think about it, a gas show is no different than a trade show: you have vendors/exhibitors, and buyers/attendees. There's a schedule, and anyone who wants to participate follows the schedule. It's as simple as that. For some reason unique to this hobby, some vendors feel they can show up/set up whenever they want, and break down whenever they want. All of this criticism, and sympathy, for the promoters - think how much easier their job would be if the attendees/vendors made it easier for them by following the rules, instead of trying to be first to arrive, and first to leave - all the while posting snarky comments on social media, and trashing the promoters in other media.

There are many annual conventions for other hobbies/hobbyists, several of which are much larger and better attended than Columbus or Iowa Gas, i.e., the Comic-cons in San Diego and other cities comes to mind. I'm pretty sure they don't have people showing up two days early, wanting to set up - nor trying to break down their wares and truck them out of the venue while people are shopping - or people showing up on the day advertised for the show, only to find a half-empty venue.

One last thought: too hot in Iowa in August? Maybe it's time for an indoor venue. I would think, being Iowa, there would be some sort of agricultural complex suitable; maybe not.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
souperhigh #662915 Mon Aug 08 2016 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By souperhigh
It was the worst show there in the last 15 years. This year was poorly planned.
But for me even thou it is 8 hours longer drive I believe that with new ownership that The Check The Oil show will become the best show in the country

Wow, I knew this thread would come about at some point.

First the place was packed with venders both inside and out (see the photos I posted) even with all those that decided to do a "wait and see deal". Yes the show was a mess but if anyone of you took time to talk to Ron Or John you would of known that they know the changes they tried could not of turned out worst. It all imploded from every direction and they will make changes for next year. I went there planning to stick to the new rules but once I arrived found that those who always come early and leave early had made up their minds to not follow the new rules.

The best part was I was one of the few who set up on Friday and the weather was great. Foot traffic was low but I was still able to sell $1000 worth of stuff so I cannot complain. I talked to Tommy Buckles out front and he even said he had done about the same.

My biggest gripe to all you guys who didn't set up on Friday and left was we talked to at least 6 different people who came by because the swap meet was advertised through Friday and were very disappointed that only a few of us stuck around. Who knows how many that stopped didn't say a word?

I think a lot of what went wrong with this year falls on the ones that did what they wanted and didn't care about the new rules. Ron needs the show to be there certain days due to his contract with the Holiday Inn and the sales permit on the property. Also that is what he advertised so next year once he figures out the schedule to all you that don't like it, please stick to it or stay away, because the schedule is set by the promoters and not by what days you want to be there.

I think myself that they may have to go back to the fenced in airport parking lot because then they can control the start and end of the show like it should be!

This is just my opinion so don't hang me but as I said (as did Mark) This is the promoters show and he should not have to change the rules just to suit anybody else's schedule.

Last edited by Mike M.; Mon Aug 08 2016 02:26 PM.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Cold Pizza #662917 Mon Aug 08 2016 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Cold Pizza
What was Iowas room to room trading like this year?

It was down a bit but still a lot of goodies to be found.

Plus between Dan Matthews room and the new bar there was a bit more of night life to enjoy...LOL

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
tbert1 #662918 Mon Aug 08 2016 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
If people broke the rules and went against the promoters initial plans by selling too early,why doesn't anyone name them publically on here?
Lets start holding people accountable and curtailing this.

Is that too much to ask?

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
tbert1 #662919 Mon Aug 08 2016 02:47 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Good Thought on that subject. Too far for some of us to go just to find out we were either too late or just wasting time.

Craig
tbert1 #662926 Mon Aug 08 2016 04:00 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
One thought on preventing vendors from leaving early is to get a deposit from the vendors refundable at end of the event.

Last edited by Mills; Mon Aug 08 2016 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling
tbert1 #662928 Mon Aug 08 2016 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
My paperwork said no selling until 6:30 Wednesday night. After the auction.

'Set up' allowed Wednesday. Of course, if you set out all your signs/cans/globes/etc. somebody will buy something.

We have the most difficult spot to occupy in the entire lot (IMHO). We are clear down in the back corner with J U S T enough clearance to pull the big Dodge Ram and the 24' trailer in - if no one is already there. Previous years we have had to ask other vendors to move some of their inventory or even their trucks to give us clearance.

We arrived late afternoon Monday just so we could get in without the hassle.

That's 5 nights of hotel costs + food and beverages for one day of actual sales.

We did not set anything out on Wednesday. We set up early Thursday and had fairly decent sales until about 1 PM, then the heat killed any further foot traffic.

Of course by then, over half the vendors were already gone - or packing up to leave.

We set everything up again Friday morning - and probably had a total of 40 people walk by all day. Some even went out of their way to thanks us for actually being set up. Of course by noon, we were only one of about 5 vendors still set up in the lot.

Since there was absolutely NO FOOT TRAFFIC by 1 PM Friday, we closed up, packed everything and headed out for a long lunch.

I understand this was a 'trial' schedule. But if the show continues to go as it did this year, there won't be hardly any spectators at the show - only vendors selling to vendors.

---------------------

On a related note. I talked to Ron and another big sign collector in the Ballroom on Saturday. Their consensus was the lighter sales had a lot to do with all the BIG DOLLAR auctions that have happened this year. Something like 20 Million dollars of Petrolania has changed hands since January. They thought that limited the funds available for items at the show.

-----------------------

Whatever the problem - too hot, too many auctions, no vendors on Friday - whatever, something has got to change or this show will die a slow death.

Jim

tbert1 #662961 Mon Aug 08 2016 06:35 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This was my 20th year for Iowa and I thought the show was GREAT. I bought nice items, met with old friends, enjoyed the new bar, really enjoyed the room to room swap and had fun. I can't control the high prices, hot weather, or the start or stop times. I just adjust my schedule accordingly. I come to the show because I can and love every minute of it. I can't wait till my 21st show next year!

-Matt
tbert1 #662962 Mon Aug 08 2016 07:07 PM
I did not arrive until Wednesday morning around 10 with the plan that I was not going to set up until after the auction with everybody else. I arrived to find that the show was in full swing and had been for at least a day. I felt like I followed the rules to try to help get the show on track and was given the finger.

Word on the street was that one of the promoters sold a sign well before setup time and everybody outside followed suit. I am not sure if this is 100% true, but I did hear it from about 10 different people. I also heard that many of the indoor vendors were upset as outside vending was a free for all and inside was on lockdown. I am not sure how true this is either, as I was not setup inside. It would be nice to hear from one of the promoters on these two subjects.

I also heard from many vendors that they will not be returning, which is really disappointing.

I think the show itself was good even though it was ultra disorganized this year. I saw alot of people walking around with purchases and many of the vendors stated that sales were very good.

I dont know what the answer is for this show. I can tell you that in my opinion, changing the start time and date, only to lay down and let it go on early was a poor decision. There were alot of ***** people walking around. I am not trying to be a Monday morning quarterback, I would probably run the show much worse.

All in all, a show of this caliber is alot of work. I commend the promoters for putting on a good show, and thanks for all the hard work that is done so that we can all enjoy it! See you next year, on Sunday, LOL

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

tbert1 #662963 Mon Aug 08 2016 07:30 PM
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
Well your always going to have winers and complainers so it hard to win! But I arrived Tuesday afternoon and was thrilled the show was started! I did very well buying and thought the auction format on Wednesday was perfect as those who didn't have any interest in the auction could go out side and buy! Buy the way I was at the first 15 Iowa gas meets including the first one and this show has survived very well with the ups and downs of the hobby! Thanks John and Ron can't wait till next year!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved