Next Thread
Print Thread
#659730 Thu Jun 30 2016 04:27 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
This sign was on eBay. I bid on it. Today I received an email from eBay that the item was pulled and the auction ended early. I called eBay to find out what was going on, why the sign was pulled and the auction ended early. eBay said the seller had pulled the sign off from bids and would not give any explanation as to why. Of course, we all know what really happened. At the point the seller pulled the sign, there was 16 bids on it. I proceeded to file a formal complaint with the legal department at eBay. The person at eBay said I was the only person who had filed a complaint. He said nothing would be done unless more people complained. If you had placed a bid on this item, call eBay and file a complaint for the seller ending the auction early. eBay should not permit a seller to end an auction especially when there is 16 bids on it. Thank you

image.jpeg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I was watching it and just checked and see it was gone. Why people pull an item i will never understand.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Larry I've been in your shoes at least a dozen times and eBay doesn't do *****! And the sad part of it is I went over to the Darkside recently as I saw a sign on eBay that I wanted and the seller ended it early when we came to a price. I really hated it happening but I'm sick of losing out on stuff and decided to do what other people are doing. I have had a connection to eBay over the last couple months and they keep coming up with excuses on why not to monitor the re-pop stuff getting sold as original vintage and rare. But they tell me in the near future there may be a way for someone who's bidding on something to make sure they're bidding on a real item but they haven't figured out who to charge for the service. LOL. And if they're going to dance around this subject as long as they have I really don't think they're going to stop people from ending auctions early it's been going on since day one. When I asked the guy what he wanted to end the auction early I felt that I was in a damned if I do damned if I don't situation and I know it sucks for other people but I've been that other person so many times and no one is stopping it. I have never ended any of my auctions early and that's just me and I think I've come out better by not doing it but eBay has no backbone and it sucks to be on your end

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I bid on it but, this is PAR FOR THE COURSE on Ebay...I figured it would have gone over the 4 plus mark. I have complain and the BAY wont do anything.Hope to find one in the wild someday.

Last edited by Keystone Gas Man; Thu Jun 30 2016 05:07 PM.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ebay is a FAR bigger POS than the greedy sellers who pull this SH@# !! Nothing will ever change, they will always be that way because they can...they make more money than any of us can even fathom and can care less about greedy sellers or fraudulent sellers, or even sellers that threaten buyers !!!! true story.. had a seller "basically" threaten me by saying he knew where I lived because he shipped my item to me there ...eBay did not care nor did anything to him because they want to continue to collect his sellers fees every month ! I left it by letting him know me and my multiple assault rifles would love a visit from him anytime !!! PS....I would have won that sign LOL !!!!

Last edited by 63shelby; Thu Jun 30 2016 10:33 PM.

Pete
Mike M. #659765 Thu Jun 30 2016 10:52 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By Mike M.
Larry I've been in your shoes at least a dozen times and eBay doesn't do *****! And the sad part of it is I went over to the Darkside recently as I saw a sign on eBay that I wanted and the seller ended it early when we came to a price. I really hated it happening but I'm sick of losing out on stuff and decided to do what other people are doing. I have had a connection to eBay over the last couple months and they keep coming up with excuses on why not to monitor the re-pop stuff getting sold as original vintage and rare. But they tell me in the near future there may be a way for someone who's bidding on something to make sure they're bidding on a real item but they haven't figured out who to charge for the service. LOL. And if they're going to dance around this subject as long as they have I really don't think they're going to stop people from ending auctions early it's been going on since day one. When I asked the guy what he wanted to end the auction early I felt that I was in a damned if I do damned if I don't situation and I know it sucks for other people but I've been that other person so many times and no one is stopping it. I have never ended any of my auctions early and that's just me and I think I've come out better by not doing it but eBay has no backbone and it sucks to be on your end

2 or 12 wrongs don't make a right ! because it was done to you doesn't make it right to do it to others....Have a lot more to say on this subject but it's wasted words on deaf ears !!!

Last edited by 63shelby; Thu Jun 30 2016 11:05 PM.

Pete
Tankar #659769 Fri Jul 01 2016 03:27 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By Tankar
I was watching it and just checked and see it was gone. Why people pull an item i will never understand.

before the end of the bids, sometimes sellers received a message with a good offer and most of them accept so they sell it off ebay without paying high fees,

there is also a thing, there is mome and more ghost buyers they bid then they won't pay so you had to fill a form to ebay to get back the ebay fees

that's why I left ebay for selling, the last 10 items I sold, all were never paid and I had all problems with them

my advice now when you see an item on ebay contact the seller and make him a fair offer, and offer him to go at his place to pay him directly, sometimes some sellers will agreed on it, that's better than waiing a week hopping to win the bids

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yep Nucky, it is thinking like that that has made eBay what it is today. You are not a solution you are part of the problem.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #659780 Fri Jul 01 2016 07:11 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By KZ1000
Yep Nucky, it is thinking like that that has made eBay what it is today. You are not a solution you are part of the problem.

you don't understand what I mean

- ebay buyers who won the bid don't pay
- you have to fill a claim to get your money back as a seller
- ebay sellers have their items for sale on different websites such craiglist and facebook, they prefer selling it on those sites when they got a good offer instead of paying ebay fees

I don't caution this but my advice as a collector, if you really want the item for you, you have to play like the others and try contacting them before the end of the bidding, if it's not you it will be another person who will do it

The good old days are overs when ebay was great and when the sellers were correct to wait until the end bidding

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...it's gotten to the point where, if it's something I really want, I'll write the seller, tell them about having bids cancelled and auctions ended on me, and ask them straight out: do you plan to let the auction run its course?

...BTW, the seller has other signs listed...maybe a bunch of bids, cancelled right before the auctions end, would drive the point home?

Last edited by gulfiend!; Fri Jul 01 2016 08:18 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I know why they stop auctions just ***** me off when it happens. I have sold over a 1000 items and have been asked to end early and every one sold for more then the offer.my 2 cents. Will never change.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By 63shelby
2 or 12 wrongs don't make a right ! because it was done to you doesn't make it right to do it to others....Have a lot more to say on this subject but it's wasted words on deaf ears !!!

Really, because I'd love to hear more!

You have no clue why I did it but because you pulled me out on this, here you go.
I contacted this seller about the stains in his Purol sign and if indeed he had not tried to clean it. He explained in a e-mail to me that he had not and then told me he may end the auction early or put a buy it now on it because he had been offered 550 to end it. My response in that situation was "what are you hoping to get for it?" The seller never responded till the next day around 12 noon my time. At that time he said he would do 675 shipped and if I was interested he was going to end the auction soon and relist it with a BIN. Not wanting to lose out, I checked the auction and saw his relist and hit the Buy it Now! Yes I was wrong to not ask him to run the auction it's full time, but I bought it thru E-bay and met the price the seller wanted. 2 of the 3 bid's he ended were mine. End of story and I'm sorry Pete that I did such a wrong thing!!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have been in the same spot you have been in and it sucks. However, I have been on the selling side as well. I have got offers that just want me to say "Are you serious?!?!?!?" meaning that they offer me $2000 for an item that is worth $8500. I have gotton all kinds of stories from, "Prices are dropping and that price was valid 5 or 10 years ago." or I can buy those up at Hershey for $1000 every year." I simply tell them "Go ahead and go to Hershey and buy them for $1000, I will buy every one of them for $3500 all day long." They then come up with some ***** story. The other thing is all the scams that go on, people are sick of not knowing if they got a real bid or ghost bid. I think sellers are realizing "A bird in hand is worth two in the bush." Love it or hate it, that is life at this point in time. So my advice is if you really want something, aggressively go after it and if that means "Making an offer they cant refuse", then do it or somebody else just might do it. One more piece of advice; If you decide to make an offer, dont insult the seller. That is a good way NOT to get the item your trying to purchase. You would be surprised at how many people read these forums and dont comment or create a profile.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved