Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
BryceG #660943 Sat Jul 16 2016 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I got my confirmation yesterday. In the instructions it states "Attention - Revised Set Up Schedule, Tuesday, August 2nd Setup for ALL VENDORS: Starting at Noon

I too am a little confused here. For me, set up means pulling my trailer into the spot and lowering the gate, I'm open for business. I will keep my trailer gate up till the posted start time. I want to adhere to the rules.

With that being said; Setup for guys that sell smalls ie: cans, signs and stuff like that, which is the majority of the vendors, setup means setting up a tent, tables and then unpacking and displaying their products. I am fully aware of the hard work and time that goes into setting up a booth. It takes time to setup and properly display everything, I get and appreciate that.

But my question is how in the world would a reasonable person expect there not to be selling going on during setup? It's just the nature of the business, it's human nature, the collectors nature, the feeding frenzy so to speak, the convergence of people waiting to pounce on that next treasure that comes out of the truck.

My experience from all the other shows I do is that the show starts at setup. Just my thoughts for whats it's worth

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
BryceG #660949 Sat Jul 16 2016 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting for us as well. We come with two trailers and a U-Haul truck with pumps. We normally unload two of the trailers with pumps and then pull them out if the vending area. So now we can't unload those pumps as they will be visible sitting in our booth and have to wait to 7:00 to unload or can we unload and set them up??

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Maxgas #660978 Sat Jul 16 2016 04:41 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By Maxgas
I'll be there Monday Eating a Zombie Burger. Goodluck!

I'll be there Tuesday Eating a Zombie Burger!
Hope they enforce the new rules. I plan to abide by them. It got old showing up two days early for the show for fear of missing out. As a buyer and a dealer I think the change is good.

BryceG #661011 Sun Jul 17 2016 06:05 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I am amazed how hard they make something . It should start at setup. what ever day that is. Tom you hit the nail on the head.

BryceG #661015 Sun Jul 17 2016 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I'm sitting this year out,and waiting to hear what the consensus is.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
BryceG #661065 Mon Jul 18 2016 06:22 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have been attending IG for 20 years as a non-vending collector. I, too, started going earlier and earlier in years past so as to not miss out. Although the "good guys" state that they will abide by the new rules, it is folly to think that "deals" won't be made by those on the grounds prior to Wed eve. I just hope it's not over by the time I get there Thursday morning.

Dave

Dave
BryceG #661068 Mon Jul 18 2016 06:57 AM
J
J
I think at the end of the day it wont matter, there will always be those who sell regardless of the rules, and guys who miss out on a nice piece cause you dont have it out when they come by, If I could just figure out how to set up and shop at the same time I'd be a happy guy.

tbuckles #661104 Mon Jul 18 2016 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By tbuckles
I got my confirmation yesterday. In the instructions it states "Attention - Revised Set Up Schedule, Tuesday, August 2nd Setup for ALL VENDORS: Starting at Noon

I too am a little confused here. For me, set up means pulling my trailer into the spot and lowering the gate, I'm open for business. I will keep my trailer gate up till the posted start time. I want to adhere to the rules.

With that being said; Setup for guys that sell smalls ie: cans, signs and stuff like that, which is the majority of the vendors, setup means setting up a tent, tables and then unpacking and displaying their products. I am fully aware of the hard work and time that goes into setting up a booth. It takes time to setup and properly display everything, I get and appreciate that.

But my question is how in the world would a reasonable person expect there not to be selling going on during setup? It's just the nature of the business, it's human nature, the collectors nature, the feeding frenzy so to speak, the convergence of people waiting to pounce on that next treasure that comes out of the truck.

My experience from all the other shows I do is that the show starts at setup. Just my thoughts for whats it's worth

Tom.

I agree with this 100 percent.
I think they screwed up big time. Buyers will buy if they see something they want regardless of the rules! They will work deals like "sorry I can't sell it out here meet me in the hotel lobby in 10 min".....ETC Rob

Last edited by Gas Pump Rob; Mon Jul 18 2016 02:45 PM.
BryceG #661172 Tue Jul 19 2016 07:31 AM
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
so pretty much the schedule hasnt changed, they just moved the auction to Wednesday.

I guarantee vendors are packing up and leaving on Thursday late afternoon or evening.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #661177 Tue Jul 19 2016 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My last 2 cents on this. I really don't care if someone buys or sells something before the show actually starts because that's what the pre-show buys have been for years.
My biggest problem and it has nothing at all to do with the regulars who come to the show every year but it has to do with the first time buyers and the locals.

IF YOUR GOING TO ADVERTISE A SWAP MEET FOR CERTAIN DAYS,AND PEOPLE SHOW UP FOR THOSE DAYS....THERE SHOULD BE A SHOW GOING ON.

I believe Ron And John are just trying to make that happen and whether some of you like it of not, this has to happen in order for Iowa gas to continue into the future. I remember back 15+ years to my first trip there and it's why I have been coming back ever since. I want others to be able to do the same into the future so when I sell off my collection, that they are there to buy a piece or two!!!!

So please sellers stick to the rules and let's keep Iowa Gas the best gas show into the future. If your selling please stick around thru Friday! And as I have said many times before...I do a whole lot of buying and selling on Fridays as that's when the deals are made.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #661204 Tue Jul 19 2016 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Mike, I agree 100% with your thoughts. I had a great day of sales Saturday at the CTO show when I was one of the few left setup. I had numerous people ask me where everyone was at Saturday morning, they stated it was the only day they had off.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
BryceG #661219 Tue Jul 19 2016 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We will be set up on Friday!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
BryceG #661430 Fri Jul 22 2016 07:49 AM
S
S
I agree with Mike, coming a long way ,you plan your trip on time, able to get there to have a chance to buy something at the same time as everyone. To much confusion and input this year. If the promoters want this new set up and lets hope they enforce on everyone. If you have the merchandise that buyers want you will have no problem selling no matter when you can set your items out.

BryceG #661434 Fri Jul 22 2016 10:45 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Any vendor setting up outside that has any extra space at their booth(s), I have a couple gas pumps & a handful of small gas pump parts that I am hoping to sell while at the show. I didn't get a space because I have to leave Friday morning driving to make it back to Oregon by Sunday so I can go back to work on Monday. Any possible leads would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

BryceG #662190 Sat Jul 30 2016 01:35 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Just got finished loading my 16' Penske truck full of automotive, oil and gas signs, displays and a whole bunch of cool stuff...Heading out from Massachusetts tomorrow morning...I'll be set up in the courtyard INSIDE in the CENTER of the hotel just down the ramp from the restaurant...Looking forward to seeing everyone there...For you Disney fans out there I'm bringing a couple of really cool collectibles to be given away to the first 3 people to answer the trivia question that I will ask you at the show!...See you soon...Shaun

truck1.jpg truck2.jpg
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved