Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I have a limited run of Liberty Gasoline & Liberty Blue 15" lenses that I am doing and have some sets that are not spoken for. They are being sold as a set (one pair of each) for $650 plus shipping & insurance. There will be 10 sets sold only. Lenses are silkscreened on 15" double strength lenses and properly marked at the top as reproduction. Pics below are originals which they are modeled after. $50 down payment required to reserve and balance when they are ready to ship (Target April 20). PM me if interested

Liberty Blue .jpg liberty gasoline.png
All Items Offered Must Have Prices

All Items Offered in This Category Must Have Prices.
72 hour bumping rule now being enforced. Please read the For Sale Guidelines.

Please read and follow all the For Sale Petroliana forum Guidelines and Non-Petro For Sale forum Guidelines
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Who doing the lens ?

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
T-ways Graphics

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
I'm guessing these are fantasy lenses and not reproductions of originals?

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
They are pretty close to originals, but there will be subtle variations. The goal was to get pretty close. They are marked reproduction as is expected

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These are reproductions - not fantasy lenses.

Marked with our company name and dated at 12:00 as always.

Even notched at the 6:00 position - just like the originals.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I see all too clearly now why you were "interested" in buying my Liberty Blue globe and instead of asking about condition just wanted close ups of the statue. Sure am glad I didn't send the photos...

Jim at T-Ways is a great guy who always dates his lenses so the repos don't bother me in that regard but feigning interest in a piece to just fake it isn't real cool.

Aaron Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Sorry Aaron, no faking interest. I want an original Liberty Blue. I am still in the market for an original and been buying original globes for 2-3 years and the price I pay keeps going up. I didn't care for your response when I asked for better pictures and that is why my interest ceased. I could have continued to fake interest to get those pictures from you, but I didn't because the focus was surrounding getting the globe you have. We may have been too far apart on price, but make no mistake there was genuine interest. When I find one when I feel the deal is right I will get it. I have also reproduced some Humble lenses through Jim and have been contemplating buying the one Scott currently has because there are some globes that I just want an original of regardless if I have a reproduction. As for the pictures used to create this lense they were either off the internet or from a friend that knew my intentions.

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
4 sets left

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can see where Aaron is coming from if you where asking for pictures then all of a sudden there is the same globe reproduced I would be upset and asking questions.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I can fully understand the perception and have no issues with questions, but there are facts here that he isn't disclosing either while making accusations. Would have preferred a call so he can validate the back story, but I guess he chose to air his perception. I will respond in kind. I don't think Aaron is a bad person by any means and I guess it goes down like this sometimes. I know that many people here have known Aaron longer than me, but in the court of public opinion I deserve the respect of a discussion before being called out publicly as I would extend the same to someone else.

1. I am primarily an original globe collector with 47 original globes including several in the $2k to $5k range. These are the vast majority of my globes now. I used to be repop only until a friend showed me the light and now repop is less than 20% of my collection. So I am not a person that doesn't truly appreciate original globes. You can repop an original globe and put them together and it just seems like the glow is that much better. I have also been reproducing some globes when myself and friends are interested in. Focus is on Texas globes, but with the political climate in this country ***** a bunch of us off the Liberty globes seemed like a nice option as well. I do prefer real globes though.

2. I did inquire about a(singular) picture to better show the see the globe. I have never seen a good closeup and if I am gonna pay $6k+ for a globe then I need to see something better as it is very dark. I would prefer to see in person, but I trust Aaron as a reputable person. He said it was mint both sides and I respect his opinion as an 'Expert' on globes so all I needed was one picture to see what I wanted to negotiate. Although it was going to be my most expensive globe I wanted one but needed more to get me excited enough to spend that much.

2. The response I was given was 'Are you interested in buying the globe?' I was a bit surprised since I have been buying original globes through Scott & Lonnie for 2-3 years and having Scott appraise other originals I have bought. The comment made me feel like some ***** kid that was looking at a new car or something. That response turned me off to the point that I was not going to purse the globe no matter what the deal would have been and I said 'I am gonna pass'. I could have said some BS comment and gotten a picture if that was the focus.

3. This project had been discussed with a few close people for several months along with a Texan Ethyl globe that Jim is doing for me.

4. Although it was discussed several months earlier with some people I could not move forward with the project until I knew what my bonus was going to be and closer to when it would be paid. I also had to get enough interest to start and also the money to pay for the unsold lenses. That whole concept to launch is a few months typically. I don't want Jim spending time on quotes and artwork, if I can't make the project happen.

5. I know a collector and super nice guy near me that had a Liberty Blue and I planned on getting the photo's needed for the detail of the project. These photos were taken last week to get Jim the detail he needed.

If anyone needs references to back up my side of the story please let me know. I am not going to let anybody attack my credibility without all the details.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will acknowledge that I did question Sean when he inquired to buy the globe, my question to him was short and to the point and simply read "Are you interested in buying the globe." Looking back I could have fleshed that out a bit more eloquently, but my concern for this hobby is to preserve the integrity and the history of the pieces we all love dearly. In the past I've been burned by people using images from globes I've offered for sale or shared privately and I move cautiously when offering images, but I did not convey this to Sean at that time.

Sean and I have messaged and this is water under the bridge in my eyes.

Aaron

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Concur. We discussed and it is water under the bridge here as well.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well done to both.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Question: as a globe collector of original globes... Why would you want a reproduction liberty if your trying to or wanting to buy an original Liberty globe?
I don't know any original globe collectors that think reproductions are good for the hobby and even have them made. I understand the need for pump restoration guys but if your buying repop globes for display then it Decorating?

I see repop signs and globes hanging up as decorating and like buying that stuff from target.

Just my opinion
FYI: if I was selling the liberty globe and someone texted me wanting good pics of the statue I would have responded with the same response.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved