Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Glad I already have the sign and the Grade globe bought years ago. I guess this new environment at these big auctions is a little overwhelming and may take some getting use to. Not sure if I'm just not used to it or I'm just cheap.

Tom

BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Tom R.
Not sure if I'm just not used to it or I'm just cheap.

welcome to the club, haha... I certainly felt the same way while sitting thru the auction.

but for the most part, a lot of the common stuff went for normal prices. I am by no means a 'big spender' and I was able to buy 9 items... 4 of them I plan to resell even. but the really clean oddball stuff sure did go sky high

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
thanks Bryce for the pics fantastic wish I could have been there

Follow the Red Indian Trail
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Bryce, excellent coverage and photos, sure appreciated them, helps see what we missed

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow that looks like a great auction!

Braden Splichal

I thought the Kokles auction was nicely done. I thought the rest was disappointing.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Originally Posted By oiljobber
I thought the Kokles auction was nicely done. I thought the rest was disappointing.

The dealership neon was flat but reserve prices and Vernon Walker retreads will have that effect.

Kim and Mary's collection is "fresh" to the market and "no reserve". Bidders responded positively.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Thanks for the photos, looks like a good auction!

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
thanks for the pictures!!!

Last edited by Jwsloop19; Thu Jan 28 2016 08:06 PM.
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
I guess i was the only one that got the catalog in the mail?

BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
i requested a catalog once I decided to go... they sent me one for free.

if anyone wants a catalog, i have a couple extra that I brought home. just PM me.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Bryce,

I notice some of the items "did not sell": Lot Passed!

Here is one:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/43319342_p36-pontiac-authorized-service-neon-sign

It is because "Reserve not met"?

Thanks,

Hen

BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hen,

those were items in the other days of the Mecum auction, not part of the Kokles collection. i believe many of those had reserves. The whole Mecum Kissimmee event is over a week long, and I only went for the Kokles auction.

K
K
Hello, Kim and Mary here. As I said on the new members page I will provide some thoughts on our own auction and reply to some of the comments here.
First, we would like to thank all of those who participated and supported our auction, especially those who took the time and expense to drive to the middle of Florida. Being self-employed, we had hoped for a successful auction for a retirement nest egg, and you guys (and some Mecum buyers) made it happen.
Secondly, I want to make clear there were no reserves and nothing passed in our sale. As someone stated, our stuff was a stand alone sale on Sunday with only our stuff. Everything sold, and above our expectations for the most part. We attend a lot of auctions, and this was the first time ever sitting at one and not having a bid card - weird but refreshing feeling. As with most auctions, some things brought less than expected, but overall it would have been a challenging day had we had a bid card. For those of you who found it frustrating, please don't hold it against us - we just gambled with no reserve and it was a success.
Why was it successful? In our opinion, there are several reasons. First, it was a fresh to the market collection, never before seen or offered for sale, and going unreserved (you can buy it!). If I say so myself, it was a nice variety of signs, globes, cans, and a few pumps which drew a lot of attention. Secondly, we had kept all of our contacts we had met over the many years and tried to make sure everyone knew about the sale. Thirdly, and I cannot stress this enough, Mecum was a big part of the success. They brought buyers to the table I would have never known and most likely not known to Morphy. They provided Mary and I our own room in a high traffic area. When we arrived they had 15 showcases set to place the globes, signs, and smalls, and wood wall to display the signs. They allowed Mary and I to set up or direct the entire display. It was as if we were displaying our collection for the first time at home, and invited anyone to come visit for two weeks. This is the kind of exposure Mecum provided for us. We also were there for two weeks to answer questions, greet people, and show them the stuff. It was a blast.

K
K
Forgot to include - we are not abandoning the hobby. As a matter of fact I bought an oil can Wed night after our sale so we will still be buying, selling, and collecting. See ya.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved