Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I have had Joe do some of my computers and they turn out great but I have one that works well but the front numbers only are faded and would need to be restored. Now could always just paint and try to get the lettering just right, but there must be a better way. Being embossed is different from the regular flat wheel that We have just use the decal over the whole wheel. Any suggestions ?

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Thu Oct 29 2015 08:36 AM.

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I think painting is about the only solution. If they are just dirty, I have used Fantastic and q-tips which works real well. For painting, do the letters first and when that is dry do the area around the numbers.

ROD [Mich.]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...paint them white, let that dry, then paint the black with a hard roller that doesn't get down into the debossed numbers?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's how we do it.. Paint the wheel with black lacquer first and let it dry overnight. Then paint them with white enamel. Take a fairly firm sponge and dip it in enamel reducer and wipe off the white on the face of the wheel leaving the white enamel in the embossed numbers. The lacquer isn't phased by the enamel reducer and you get a clean and crisp edge to each number unlike you can ever get trying to touch it up with a brush. It takes a little trial and error to hit on the right sponge and I don't remember the exact one to tell you but I think the firm scrub sponge worked the best. With a little practice you can restore the wheels to look like new ones. I have some we've done that I can lay next to nos ones and it's very hard if not impossible to tell the difference. Just takes a little patience, but that's what pump restoration work primarily takes....lots of patience. Good luck.....GB

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
When I did my tokhiem 300 last fall the wheels & numbers were faded. I use a white enamel paint pen that I got at the local craft store . It is a paint pen with a metal shake ball in it and they have different width felt tips. I got one that fit the exact width of the recessed number & set it on the bench and number by number & wheel by wheel re-painted them. Worked great . After the numbers were done I used a black permanent marker to do the outside edges of the wheel . That will take several coats.The paint pen is called a " DecoColor" fine line paint marker 200-S white.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
All great ideas, Thanks

Craig
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun