Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Maxgas **MINT** Pontiac Porcelain Indian Sign - Tue Apr 10 2012 08:51 PM
Hello Gassers,

I recently bought a small collection of what I thought to be all genuine signs. Up to now all have been 100%. All signs were in excellent condition so it was no surprise when I saw his Pontiac sign looking as good as it does. I have posted it for sale but there was a question on its authenticity due to the size of the mounting holes and the lack of grommets. So unless I can be 100% positive on it genuineness I'm removing the sign from the sale block and submitting here to the experts to go over. Please ask any and all questions and I will be more then happy to answer and provide additional photos if needed. All my previous research up to today showed the sign to be accurate for size at 36" and I looked up the fragile sticker and it also seemed to be authentic from the period. Please help us figure this out.

Attached picture DSC00810.JPG
Attached picture DSC00816.JPG
Attached picture DSC00817.JPG
Attached picture DSC00815.JPG
Posted By: powerlube Re: **MINT** Pontiac Porcelain Indian Sign - Tue Apr 10 2012 09:18 PM
Why would it not have grommets?
Posted By: advertologist Re: **MINT** Pontiac Porcelain Indian Sign - Tue Apr 10 2012 09:31 PM
fragile sticker could have been added later.. cool
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: **MINT** Pontiac Porcelain Indian Sign - Tue Apr 10 2012 09:50 PM
Fragile sticker is a postal sticker that would have been placed on a package when shipped and not on a porcelain sign.

Originally this was just an advertising sign (minimal value) and would never have had that decal placed on it.
Posted By: No Longer A Member Re: **MINT** Pontiac Porcelain Indian Sign - Fri Jun 09 2017 04:11 PM
W
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: **MINT** Pontiac Porcelain Indian Sign - Sat Jun 10 2017 02:36 PM
Fragile stickers were for sure used on porcelain signs at least during the 1950s, here are pictures of my Mobile sign which is new old stock never was put up and has the original shipping sticker and Fragile sticker attached . Have a good weekend everyone . Peter

Attached picture IMG_0887.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0891.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0888.JPG
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: **MINT** Pontiac Porcelain Indian Sign - Sat Jun 10 2017 10:43 PM
...I've got an original sign with the remnants of the same 'Fragile' sticker...it's my understanding they would have been visible on the sign between the widely-spaced slats in the crate...and if this sign went on a larger neon sign, it wouldn't necessarily have grommets...
Posted By: No Longer A Member Re: **MINT** Pontiac Porcelain Indian Sign - Mon Oct 07 2019 09:52 PM
Definitely real. I have the same sign with the Fragile sticker on the backside
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk