Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: dodogas What is the deal on Calenders - Tue Nov 18 2003 03:33 PM
I am surfing last nite and I see a Gilmore calendar 1941. Seller is a powerseller. The calendar is full pad, mint and desribed as from an estate. Also desribed as 100% authentic. (note they do not say original) They also have Texaco, Richfield, Union 76,I think Chevron and maybe more. While it is not impossible to have a find of salesman's or makers samples I find that assortment highly unlikely. I think they only had 1941 and 1957 and they started at a buck.
ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THESE??..dodogas
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: What is the deal on Calenders - Tue Nov 18 2003 05:29 PM
I know calenders are reproduced. Be careful.
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: What is the deal on Calenders - Tue Nov 18 2003 06:50 PM
I know that a few years ago a bunch of reproduction Gilmore calendars were showing up. They looked a lot like the one's on ebay now. I too would be careful if I were expecting to get an original one.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: What is the deal on Calenders - Tue Nov 18 2003 06:57 PM
If you notice on a lot of the calendars the year of the calendar does not match the logo from that era. BE CAREFUL ON THESE. Scott
Posted By: Flyingaman Re: What is the deal on Calenders - Sun Nov 23 2003 05:22 PM
These have been around a long time. Back 6 or 7 years ago someone found some blank calenders and got the great idea of making fake calendars. The funny part was the calendars dates were from the 40's to the late 50's and the guy who put the logo's on them didn't pay any attention to what logo was used in what year. So some of them have the right year with the right logo and some don't. Everytime I see them on ebay, I email the guy and just let them know they are fakes.
This is another case of buyer beware.

Do your homework

Craig
Posted By: T-BONE Re: What is the deal on Calenders - Thu Nov 27 2003 02:16 PM
I WAS IN AN ANTIQUE MALL THIS PAST SUMMER AND SAW A NICE LITTLE GILMORE CALENDAR,, BUT IT WAS DATED IN THE 50'S.. I WAS TOLD GILMORE WAS DONE IN THE EARLY 40'S ????RIGHT????
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: What is the deal on Calenders - Mon Dec 01 2003 09:41 PM
I have seen those type calendars as well as suspected they were fakes due to the lack of originality in the design of it: background picture plus plain white calendar pad. It seemed rather easily faked. I have bought original calendars that dont have this particular design. New looking staples are usually a dead giveaway but these too can be "aged". I would ask for a authencity cert!
Mark
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk