Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: TheHorse13 Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Fri Jul 19 2019 06:15 PM
I took a chance on this one without arming myself with recent fake/repo info. From what I know, they aren't churning out repops/fakes of this one yet. What do you think? Real?

Thanks!

Attached picture s-l16004.jpg
Attached picture s-l16003.jpg
Attached picture s-l1600.jpg
Attached picture s-l1600-1.jpg
Posted By: Hud Oil Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Fri Jul 19 2019 06:45 PM
looks right to me,had one a while back
Posted By: advertologist Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Fri Jul 19 2019 07:26 PM
one just listed on ebay for comparison .. ... cool

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-Alemite-Motor-Oil-Double-Sided-Porcelain-Sign/264402871821
Posted By: TheHorse13 Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Fri Jul 19 2019 07:32 PM
Well, I just learned that they now fake this item. It is not real.

3 sellers, all with almost the same Ebay name, all near Chatanooga, TN, are selling this sign. When compared to a known good one, it is clear that the font is wrong on the permit number, letter spacing is wrong, hole size on the grommets are wrong, the stamp in the center is wrong....

I've attached pics of a real one for comparison.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 3.21.33 PM.png
Attached picture Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 3.21.59 PM.png
Posted By: mtrotnic Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Sat Jul 20 2019 12:52 PM
I wouldn't consider any sign "safe" from being reproduced any longer. To much greed unfortunately!
Posted By: TheHorse13 Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Sun Jul 21 2019 10:51 AM
Fortunately, I didn't lose a cent on this misstep. I was able to inspect it in person and that's when it became clear to me that this is a new wave of fake garbage. The larger signs with odd shapes are now part of the fraud game.
Posted By: lancelot75 Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Tue Jul 23 2019 11:09 AM
I agree with mtrotnic with his assessment about signs that may be repo’s so I try to only purchase signs that I can inspect on sight and look for tells as to how they were manufactured. I find this has served me well in my recent sign purchases. I research all my sign and oil related purchases, if I have any doubts I will not make any commitment to purchase or bid on these items. I do have signs which I am sure are 95% real and 5% which I know are repo’s. A small number of them were sold as being the real thing.
Posted By: TheHorse13 Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Tue Jul 23 2019 02:47 PM
I checked today and saw that three poor victims have been taken on this round of fake Alemite signs. One guy got roped for a grand on a buy-it-now. frown
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Thu Jul 25 2019 09:33 PM
It is to the point where if you do not know the seller or can not see the sign in person it is not safe buying on ebay
Posted By: TheHorse13 Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Sat Jul 27 2019 08:21 AM
That really is the truth, Bill jr. I've noticed that the well done fakes, when purposely photographed in certain conditions, are next to impossible to authenticate simply by looking at pictures. In my case, I was able to inspect the item in person which is when the dead give aways were obvious when compared to a known authentic sign.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Tue Jul 30 2019 04:46 PM
Another reason that this will kill the hobby at some point of collecting porcelain. Why pay thousands when you can get a fake for not much. Backlash will be swift after a while.
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Tue Jul 30 2019 08:59 PM
We can only hope that if, probably more likely when, the sign market falters, it happens when all the greedy sellers of known fakes have spent enough money on their stockpile to feel some pain!
Posted By: mtrotnic Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Tue Jul 30 2019 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Craig Osbeck
Another reason that this will kill the hobby at some point of collecting porcelain. Why pay thousands when you can get a fake for not much. Backlash will be swift after a while.

I really hope you are wrong! Expensive baseball cards have been reproduced for years but originals still remain strong. I want to believe that the desire for original signs will always remain strong along the lines of "anyone can have a fake but mine is original". I think there will be enough collectors to compete for originals, well I hope so anyways lol. Time will tell. It's a fun debate.
Posted By: TheHorse13 Re: Alemite oil sign. What do you think? - Tue Aug 13 2019 12:53 PM
Some poor Ebayer took it for $950 on this repo. Ouch...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk