Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Craig Osbeck shell pump plate - Mon Jul 09 2018 03:53 AM
How to tell if a shell porcelain pump plate without the grommets is real or fake. Has the lettering made in USA at the bottom.
Thanks
Posted By: advertologist Re: shell pump plate - Mon Jul 09 2018 04:03 AM
picture of front & back for comparison .. ... cool
Posted By: hancock-oil Re: shell pump plate - Tue Jul 10 2018 12:24 AM
No picture on my end Randy... Jim
Posted By: advertologist Re: shell pump plate - Tue Jul 10 2018 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Craig Osbeck
How to tell if a shell porcelain pump plate without the grommets is real or fake. Has the lettering made in USA at the bottom.
Thanks

Originally Posted by hancock-oil
No picture on my end Randy... Jim

was asking Craig for picture of sign of subject too compare with

Attached picture therealmccoy (1).jpg
Posted By: hawkike Re: shell pump plate - Sat Aug 04 2018 05:43 PM
I have seen Shell pump plates now being repopped with " MADE IN U.S.A." at the bottom.
Posted By: petrofanz Re: shell pump plate - Thu Jan 31 2019 04:57 AM
Given the quantity of porcelain repops and the number of people making them, I don't see how anyone can be CERTAIN that a specific sign is authentic. To say a piece is "original" assumes you know the manufacturing capabilities and talents of ALL the people making porcelain knock-offs and that none of them could possibly make a sign of the same dimensions and characteristics as the originals, and/or "age" them with that "antique look."

This is particularly true if you consider that many originals were manufactured over a period of time and during those years there was ample opportunity for sizing and screening techniques to vary slightly. In some cases, oil companies used different sign makers to create their advertising, thus creating yet another possibility for slight variations.

IMO, the only way to have porcelain sign authenticity assurance is to buy from someone you know and trust, who assures you the sign is original and was obtained at least twenty five years ago.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk