Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Ryan Underthun RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 11:02 AM
Yesterday was absolutely the worst day of my life. We talked to the vet in Minneapolis at 7.45 am, Hot Rod was doing awesome, up moving around, breathing good, eating good, going potty good. He was pretty much back to normal. We were told to come and get him. I warmed the truck up, loaded up Libby (my female bullie) and my wife and we made the trip.

We stopped by a DQ near the vets clinic and got the staff a cake that said "Thanks, love Hot Rod!". We rolled into the vet office all excited to see our pooch again. We were put in a waiting room. As soon as the doctor came in, I knew something was wrong. My emotions went from super high, to as low as they can get in about .5 seconds.

About 1/2 hour before we got there Hot Rod threw up a little bit. The food and water that he had been eating was not getting into his stomach. He could no longer breath on his own. They inserted a breathing tube and we were able to go in back and see him. He was still alert, and knew we were there. They said that an x ray was needed of his chest to see what was going on. They said we needed to head home and that they were going to need to keep him overnight again. We gave him some kisses on his ears and headed back up north.

We hit Cloquet (about 1/2 hour from Duluth) and the phone rang. The vet said that we needed to turn around. They found namounia in his lungs, and had removed 50cc of fluid from them. They tried many times to remove the tube to try to get him to breathe on his own and he simply could not.

When we got there his condition had worsened. The only way he could breathe now was with a tech using a bag valve to breathe for him. I made the call that we needed to try to remove the tube one more time, it did not work.

I held the paw of the greatest dog in the world while he passed away. I cant stop crying, my heart is broken...
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 11:06 AM
Sorry for your loss Ryan....I know right where you're at during this tough time.
Darin
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 11:07 AM
Sad to hear Ryan,it's hard to to lose a loved family member. RIP Hot Rod.
Posted By: Catauladave Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 11:17 AM
Many of us have been there...I have several times.Go rescue a dog and give him what you both need. It gets better. trust me. Take care Dave
Posted By: JimT Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 11:27 AM
Sorry Ryan.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 11:38 AM
We have lost "best friend" dogs before, but this had to be the worst heart wrenching situation. Rest in Peace, Hot Rod. Our hopes that you and the rest of the family can heal sometime in the future.
Posted By: moore798 Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 12:01 PM
Ryan, Your beloved Libby can help you and your family heal.You can know you did all that was possible and you were there when he needed you. RIP Hot Rod
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 12:04 PM
Sorry to hear that, Ryan...I think we can all sympathize...

I've always thought it cruel, how short Man's Best Friend's lifespan is, compared to our own...
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 12:07 PM
OOoohhh Ryan--- I'm so sorry!
I've had many dog friends in my 66 years and it always brought sadness when they departed, but way back, there was one little welsh Corgi that became my best friend. He was tragically killed by a passing car that struck him when he accidentally got outside and was looking for me. He was so close to me, that he rarely left my side and was always happiest when we were doing something together.
The memories of him will never go away and never seem to fade. Time has made it easier and the memories of him are truly wonderful. We're all here for such a short time, both humans and animals. To have been able to share a part of it with a very special dog is a big blessing. Remember him as he was and go on with your life. If he could speak, he would have told you that and he probably did in many ways. Rest in peace Hot Rod!
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 12:15 PM
Ryan, I'm so very sorry for your loss.
Treasure the memories of all the good times you had with Hot Rod and take solace in the knowledge that you gave him a good home and a good life.
Take all the time you need to grieve, but then take Dave's advice and rescue another dog.
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 12:19 PM
Ryan,

So sorry for the loss. I had to put my 17 year old lab to sleep in July 2014. I too wept uncontrollably and think about her everyday since I had to say goodbye that July day. I feel your pain and sadness and offer my sympathy.
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 12:44 PM
Ryan,sorry for your loss.Hang in there.Time will make it a little better.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 12:44 PM
Thank you guys so much. I cannot believe how hard this is.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 12:45 PM
My sincere condolences Ryan.
I've experienced a similar situation.
Rick
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 01:08 PM
Ryan so sad to hear, was so excited yesterday I showed Hotrods picture to the wife. Time will heal and no words will fix what you are feeling. Be proud that you done your best. I think dogs are as smart as people,sure he felt the love and caring.
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 01:26 PM
So sorry to hear about Hot Rod. My prayers go out to you, your family and Libby. I am fighting back tears because of your loss and also thinking about when Zodiak, our Husky, passed away in my arms. I can now look back and thank the Lord I was with Zodiak when he passed away. It is hard. Pets can have a way of friendship that feels like it goes to your soul.

Healing will happen and grieving is HARD. With the help of your family, Libby, oldgas and God you will get through. If you remember back to January 2010 you guys on oldgas saw me go through the worst part of my life with the accident my son, David, was in. Ryan, Thank you for being one of my friends from oldgas that helped me through my hard times.

Love, friendship and may God bless you, your family, Libby and all those who Hot Rod had an impact on,
Michael
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 01:39 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news Ryan. It's always tough to lose a friend whether human or animal. Because we travel so much anymore we chose not to get another canine buddy after losing our last Schnauzer to old age complications. I had a chocolate lab that was my huntin buddy for thirteen years that developed cancer and I didn't realize how close we were until he was gone. Its always hard to take but you can never lose the memories and years of companionship they gave you. Hang in there....Gary
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 02:46 PM
Sorry for your loss of your buddy , I hate that for you Ryan .
Posted By: Ken Horner Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 05:32 PM
So sorry, I feel your pain. God rest his soul.
Posted By: bustermonty Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 07:09 PM
My name on here is bustermonty after my two dogs both gone now. I've got tears in my eyes thinking about them and you and your loss. It will get better. Take care and love on the one you have left they feel the loss too.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 08:30 PM
I am so thankful for you guys. I know the pain will be less as time goes on. Thanks for all the posts, PM's and even emails. You guys are the greatest!
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 08:43 PM
Ryan, I am sorry to read that Hot Rod, wasn't able to come home...

Funny how attached one can become to dogs and cats... Maybe part of it is because they never judge; Instead they do their best to love their Owners to the absolute best of their abilities...

And when one is down and/or sick: Dogs and cats are more entertaining than the Circus!
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: RIP buddy. - Fri Mar 27 2015 08:45 PM
It's the WORST!!!!
I feel for ya man!
It's amazing how much they end up meaning to us and how they become a part of us.
Take good care.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: RIP buddy. - Sun Mar 29 2015 01:13 AM
Its terrible when it happens, our dog a few years ago got hit and killed right in front of our house, the driver didn't even stop...

I'm sorry Ryan, I know the pain.

RIP.
Posted By: dalin Re: RIP buddy. - Sun Mar 29 2015 05:49 AM
Sorry for your loss, RIP
Posted By: Bass Master Re: RIP buddy. - Sun Mar 29 2015 10:53 AM
Ryan, Very sorry to hear about Hot Rod, Prayers to you and your family. Brian
Posted By: Stu K. Re: RIP buddy. - Sun Mar 29 2015 11:01 AM
I am sorry for your loss. We have a rat terrier that sleeps with us every night and am not looking forward to "that day" sometime in the future.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: RIP buddy. - Sun Mar 29 2015 05:24 PM
Man that hurts Ryan but as others have said time does help. We've had the same happen to us with two lovely dogs and number 3, my avatar, is aging rapidly. And dispite my advice I will feel like you do as will the rest of the family, when he passes on, that's how important they become. Take care.
Posted By: rbonitz Re: RIP buddy. - Sun Mar 29 2015 06:18 PM
Sorry Ryan.... I like my dogs more than 99% of the people around and I know exactly how you feel.

Ray
Posted By: Vermonter Re: RIP buddy. - Sun Mar 29 2015 08:48 PM
Sorry for your loss Ryan. I went through this a year ago with my pup and know it hurts bad.
John
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: RIP buddy. - Sun Mar 29 2015 09:09 PM
[quote=rbonitz]Sorry Ryan.... I like my dogs more than 99% of the people around and I know exactly how you feel.

Ray [/quote
Ain't that the truth!
Posted By: Alex Re: RIP buddy. - Sun Mar 29 2015 09:25 PM
Ryan: Sorry to hear about your loss. Your story reminded me of the long gone dogs I have had over the years....let the long term good memories overtake the short term bad ones.....
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: RIP buddy. - Mon Mar 30 2015 12:58 AM
Feel you pain, loss Benny 1/20/11 and it still hurts.
Posted By: Petroholic Re: RIP buddy. - Mon Mar 30 2015 01:46 AM
Sorry for your loss Ryan.. I fall into that same category as liking dogs more than most people!!! I had three labs up until September and had to put down my oldest,hands down smartest dog I've ever had.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk