Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: hawkike Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Wed Dec 24 2014 05:52 PM
For those interested in the preservation of historical buildings check this web site.www.saverosselevator.com

This is perhaps the oldest elevator in the state of Iowa.The owners just received a $25000.00 grant to restore it.They need matching contributions.It was built in app.1880.On the other side is a "fairbanks scale" porcelain sign.I suspect the only reason it is still there is because it is up so high that it would be tough to take down with out some high reach equipment.

laugh

Attached picture rosselevator.jpg
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Wed Dec 24 2014 09:35 PM
Nice!
Posted By: hawkike Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Wed Dec 24 2014 09:58 PM
Thanks!--As a kid in the 40's (lived there) i went to the top (inside) more than once! Then it was called fun--today trespassing!

wink
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Thu Dec 25 2014 12:17 AM
We used to climb up in our old small town elevator at night and ride the old rope pull elevator to the bottom.Cheap fun and would scare the ***** out of the girls you got to go up with you. Bat's a flying , the darkness made for loads of fun on a Saturday night in small town America.This post brought back lot's of good memories.
Posted By: hawkike Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Thu Dec 25 2014 04:26 AM
Originally Posted By: buzzy56
We used to climb up in our old small town elevator at night and ride the old rope pull elevator to the bottom.Cheap fun and would scare the ***** out of the girls you got to go up with you. Bat's a flying , the darkness made for loads of fun on a Saturday night in small town America.This post brought back lot's of good memories.

Amen brother!
Posted By: Bnel Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Fri Dec 26 2014 01:18 AM
Thanks Hawkike for the posting, this is Bob from Iowa owner of the Ross elevator. The old elevator looks a lot worse than it did when you were a kid!! I haven't had the guts to go to the top yet since I've purchased it. We're meeting with the contractor again soon to see if we have enough money raised to get started. We may have to wait until spring regardless due to the winter weather.
Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Fri Dec 26 2014 02:12 AM
WOW great stories from the past..I lived in a small town in Iowa but never did that..love it!!!!
Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Fri Dec 26 2014 12:46 PM
Lets see the photo of that Fairbanks Scale sign!
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Fri Dec 26 2014 03:23 PM
Welcome aboard Bob. Good luck in the restoration. Thanks for sharing a picture Hawkike. Climbing up inside sounds like fun when I was younger. Heights never bothered me then. Now just looking at the picture almost makes me woozy.
May our lives glorify God,
Michael
Posted By: hawkike Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Fri Dec 26 2014 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke
Lets see the photo of that Fairbanks Scale sign!

Luke,bring up the website--saverosselevator.com

The picture of the sign should be on the home page.
Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Fri Dec 26 2014 10:05 PM
Thanks!
Posted By: hawkike Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Sat Dec 27 2014 08:35 PM
Just posted some "smalls" on Petro with offers etc to raise a couple of bucks for this project.

wink
Posted By: Bnel Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Sun Dec 28 2014 05:55 PM
Thank you so much Hawkike for doing the auction to raise funds for the elevator, it's greatly appreciated!! Later today I hope to post a few old gas station/general store pictures taken in Ross in the early 1940's.
Posted By: hawkike Re: Ross Iowa Grain Elevator - Sun Dec 28 2014 08:10 PM
Hi Bob,welcome to the site.If you find some photos please post under "general petroleum discussion'Thanks!

smile
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk