Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Ohio Oil Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Fri Mar 27 2020 02:01 AM
If you're like me you've got more time at home right now. I thought it might be helpful to post up some projects we're doing at home to provide some relief...so I'll start...sanded and resealed my workbench today...hope to knock out more stuff this weekend.

Attached picture 20200325_163951.jpg
Posted By: Tankar Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Fri Mar 27 2020 02:10 AM
Looks great
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Fri Mar 27 2020 04:52 PM
I love the workbench!
I just got done with a coronavirus project myself. Several years ago I remodeled our basement to be a Petro display room. I must have been so excited to hang up signs, that I never got around to finish off the three windowsills. I cut the oak boards and moldings, put them in and applied the finish in the last couple days. Yay!

Attached picture IMG_20200327_113743~2.jpg
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Fri Mar 27 2020 07:28 PM
No one is calling me for plumbing........
I am actually catching up on Veeder Roots

Attached picture 1939 Veeder Root .jpg
Attached picture brazzell 002.JPG
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Fri Mar 27 2020 07:45 PM
Here is my Coronavirus Home project and its to drink all these Beers and listen to old country and rock and roll music . Cheers

Attached picture IMG_2237.JPG
Posted By: Bass Master Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Fri Mar 27 2020 08:04 PM
Finally got around to making my own set of "corn hole boxes"

Attached picture KIMG0415.JPG
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Fri Mar 27 2020 09:03 PM
Man that is awesome ! Great work now into production. smile
Posted By: Bass Master Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sat Mar 28 2020 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by buzzy56
Man that is awesome ! Great work now into production. smile
Thanks, been making them for a few years, finally got around to making a new set for myself. Anybody else make them?
I would be interested in seeing others, and could show more of what i have done if there is interest? Would start a new thread
dont want to hijack this one.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sat Mar 28 2020 10:17 PM
Another day in Social Distancing. Worked at the food pantry today sorting through over 500 pounds of donated retail meats in 13 boxes. I pulled out 50 hot dog packages and other small items from the boxes on the right to go in the boxes on the left. We usually buy a package of hot dogs and a pound of hamburger for each recipient family to go with a nice load of donated canned goods, produce and some meat. Our supplier said no hot dogs or hamburger may be available when we need them. I pulled these items out to supplement the 120 packs of hot dogs we have to come up with 170. Don't know how many families will show up for food with all the newly unemployed.

Also did a mock-up of the work flow for distribution day, keeping volunteer positions 6 feet from one another. We are changing to a no-close-contact drive-through distribution to protect volunteers and clients from spreading the coronavirus. Probably 80% of all the people involved are high risk for age or health issues. Wife and I and our friends and relatives are all doing fine so far. Trying to stay that way and help others to do the same.

Attached picture PantryMeatSorting.jpg
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Mon Mar 30 2020 07:26 PM
Finished it all up over the weekend.

I know you guys are working on stuff ... let's see it!

Attached picture 20200327_102320.jpg
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Wed Apr 01 2020 07:28 PM
Come on you guys, there's got to be some of you making use of your time at home during Shelter in Place restrictions. I had this Walk sign for years, hoping to find its mating Don't Walk sign. I gave up and wired the sign to a motion sensor and hung it on the garage inside wall. Any time there is movement in the garage, I get illuminated permission to "Walk."

Let's see your projects!

Attached picture WalkSign.jpg
Posted By: ALSS72 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Fri Apr 03 2020 11:45 AM
Finally installed the light I bought at Hershey a few years back. And to keep the wife happy installed hardwood flooring in spare bedroom and painted a couple of rooms.

Attached picture IMG_20200306_173819114.jpg
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Fri Apr 03 2020 10:13 PM
I stay socially distant in my garage most of the time anyway but it has really cramped my travels this year as we would normally be at our place in Florida right now catching fish. Hoping by the time the ice is out up north this has all eased up or the fish up there will get a break too. But, since we are all confined to home it is a great chance to do the things we tend to put off. Last week I reworked the top of my tool cabinets and mounted rings and lights for twelve globes where only six sat for years. I have had the set of five Apco globes in boxes for a long time and needed to make room for those to display together and this was a good space for them. Every time I squeeze out another place for globes I say I’m through buying more since I’m out of room to display them. 😂 Seems I always figure out another corner to put more.....GB

Attached picture 33DA6174-8431-4769-8B16-6C9BB3F3927A.jpeg
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sat Apr 04 2020 01:42 AM
Good looking garage light, ALSS72. Envious of your workshop wall there, Rabbitman.

Not an accomplishment to compare to any of the above posts, I found an old double-end brass tire chuck to go on my restored Revere island pole.
I had it all along in my stash of priceless petro junk.

Post what you're doing during Shelter-in-Place

Attached picture tirechuck.jpg
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sat Apr 04 2020 08:20 PM
Working on two projects Bennett 150 clock face pump and a Hastings Casite thermometer that needed a little TLC !

Attached picture 19CD49DC-7A21-4A43-9348-D88AACF389B9.jpeg
Attached picture 1D749619-124D-4479-AE50-4D5FB9AB5C21.jpeg
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sat Apr 04 2020 08:25 PM
Panels

Attached picture 89C963BA-C403-4729-B46D-267F6AB85D12.jpeg
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sat Apr 04 2020 08:27 PM
Top panel

Attached File
Attached picture 596E5BFE-060F-46EB-8E7F-050463F69619.jpg
Posted By: yeley101 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sun Apr 05 2020 12:23 AM
Here was my quarantine project I just wrapped up. I have had this pump for awhile.......a rare Wayne 861/40, manufactured in 1933. According to the Pump Blue Book, only 300 were built. These pumps had components of both the Wayne 861 clock face and the Wayne 40 computer face pumps. There were a few unique parts, mainly a special bezel that was exclusive to this pump. It needed a few parts......luckily I live near Tom Buckles, so was able to go over there a couple times and pester him for what I needed! I also rewired the electrical conduit while it was partially disassembled.
Fun project, but now seriously considering Wasatch Man's idea!!

Attached picture IMG_2625.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2627.JPG
Posted By: ALSS72 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sun Apr 05 2020 12:34 AM
That pump looks great Eric.
Posted By: coopersplace Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sun Apr 05 2020 12:40 AM
With some of my free time I have been doing some woodworking though not the kind you would normally associate with the term. I have been doing what I call dry scraping. I have two 1920s wood boxes from the Imperial Oil Company. Both were covered with a fair amount of dirt and grease that covered up a lot of the writing. Taking a rounded end x-acto knife blade I have slowly scraped away this grunge to reveal all the lettering again. I realize that some people prefer them left alone but I don't. It is a time consuming process but in my view the results are worth the effort. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture IMG_8912.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9022.JPG
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Fri Apr 10 2020 05:13 PM
Wife and I built a farm table this week for my sons new house, pics later as we just poly'd it.

Finishing a pump restoration. I bought it back around 1990 from Terry St.Clair. I disassembled it back then and tinkered with here and there as I restored and sold many others, bought signs, sold signs,and jumped in and out of the hobby a few times. This pump was always "the next project" that was just never finished. Finally got it painted this week.
It is an Erie 10 with original GULF cast plaque below faces. Can't wait to finally reassemble and display it proudly in my new room above garage, which is also being finished in rough cut pine during this down time.

Attached picture 20200410_125058.jpg
Attached picture 123951.jpg
Attached picture 123_1002.jpg
Attached picture 123_1001.jpg
Posted By: Larry P Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sat Apr 11 2020 06:22 PM
No more fading pine boards! Think I'm going to used galvanized roofing on the ceiling next.

Attached picture G1.jpg
Attached picture G2.jpg
Attached picture G3.jpg
Attached picture G4.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sat Apr 11 2020 10:08 PM
Eric, your pump is outstanding!
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sun Apr 12 2020 02:13 PM
This is off topic but what I find pretty amusing when I look at pictures of every ones collections I see that a lot of you guys have O.C.D I have it really bad , everything has to be clean organized set strait right in its own special place . The problem with that is people see that and start messing with you. It could be your daughter who will put an empty beer can up on a shelf so you can just barely see it behind an oil can then wait to see how long it takes for you to notice . Or your friend comes over and moves your visible pump handles off center when your not looking . Then you have the new collector guy come over for the first time and has to pick everything up and handle it plus put it down wrong . I could go on and on .
Posted By: yeley101 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Mon Apr 13 2020 09:38 PM
Thanks Les, thanks Al!
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Tue Apr 14 2020 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by yeley101
Here was my quarantine project I just wrapped up. I have had this pump for awhile.......a rare Wayne 861/40, manufactured in 1933. According to the Pump Blue Book, only 300 were built. These pumps had components of both the Wayne 861 clock face and the Wayne 40 computer face pumps. There were a few unique parts, mainly a special bezel that was exclusive to this pump. It needed a few parts......luckily I live near Tom Buckles, so was able to go over there a couple times and pester him for what I needed! I also rewired the electrical conduit while it was partially disassembled.
Fun project, but now seriously considering Wasatch Man's idea!!
Its been working for me but I have to admit its just on the weekends .

Attached picture IMG_2291.JPG
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Tue Apr 14 2020 12:49 AM
I think I'd enjoy the glow of a Wurlitzer more than the glow of a fire too, lol. Looks relaxing Peter.
Darin
Posted By: minuteman Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Tue Apr 14 2020 01:47 AM
I can see pumps and signs thru the door Peter, your in the wrong room. LOL
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Tue Apr 14 2020 02:16 AM
Good eye Kim , besides the garage that other room is my favorite room .
Posted By: Young's Union Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Tue Apr 14 2020 02:24 AM
This 110 volt siren has been apart in my shop for over a year needing some spare time to restore and reassemble. Got it done and have been running it at 7 PM nightly in tribute to caregivers and first responders across the nation!

Attached picture FED 1.jpg
Attached picture FED 2.jpg
Attached picture FED 3.jpg
Attached picture Federal  siren.jpg
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Tue Apr 14 2020 02:13 PM
Earning quarantine points today ... detailing her Acura.

Attached picture 20200414_101114.jpg
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Tue Apr 14 2020 11:51 PM
Here is the table my wife and i built last week for our sons new house.

Attached picture 20200412_104104.jpg
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Wed Apr 15 2020 05:03 PM
Killer work, Rick!

I saw a craftsman at a flea-market selling one like yours except with a "Killer" 1900-era HEAVY + ORNATE CAST Base. They sure made quality stuff back in the days. They did not care about weight

He said he wanted $2500 (or will keep it) since the Base is very-very hard to find. Went back at the end of the day, it was gone. He told me the person that bought it, wanted it BAD.

I can not find the picture.
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Thu Apr 16 2020 06:03 PM
Working on "Goldie", my rusty-gold Git-Her!!
"Why", you ask?
I saw it for sale for $200 and was drawn to it because my Dad bought one almost exactly like it, brand new, when I was a kid. It was totaled by being t-boned going through a intersection, when we had a green light, while I was sitting in the back on our way to school one day. It's how they discovered I have scoliosis and probably impacted my spine at a young age advancing the Degenerative Disc Disease that I have. Because of DDD, I do projects at about 1/8th to 1/10th of the speed that I used to and I'm doing this build as probably my last car build because of how hard it is to bend and stoop and crawl around a car that I'm working on. Gas pumps are so much easier to work on than cars!!
Through writing this, I'm discovering that I'm kinda doing it as a proxy to strike back at my disease and to 'win' a battle against it while having a great "trophy" to drive and enjoy as the spoils!
It's a 84 Ford LTD II wagon and is apart of the "fox body" family of Ford vehicles so, parts from any 79-2004 Mustang basically just bolt in. It has 76,000+ original miles on a 3.8 v6 with AOD trans. It broke down and sat unfixed for MANY years.
I'm trying to do this build as in-expensively as I can while installing high quality parts, so, because there are soooo many Mustangs that have been built up and then wrecked or whatever, I'm finding the parts for it, used, on the internet when I can. I'm also selling off or trading the parts from it that I won't be using and using the money towards parts for the build.
A example is that I am taking out the entire dash to put a 97 Cobra Mustang dash into it, so, the Dash pad and instrument cluster was shipped to a person who shipped cash and a set of used Hotchkis rear control arms back to me in trade. Another example: I took the AOD auto trans out and sold it then used most of the $ to purchase a set of c-clip eliminators that were NOS, for the 8.8 rear that I have.
Many parts are coming from the donor car, a wrecked 97 Cobra Convertible with 119K on the odo. It was hit hard in the rear but it was a high hit from a 4X4 truck so the suspension and important parts were spared. My oldest son will be buying the engine and 5 speed from me, on the cheap for a family deal, and using it for his project car.
I want to be able to tow my flatbed car hauler with it so I'm installing in spring air bags on the rear.
I'm never going to be able to race the car that I built 10+ years ago, so I'll be using the 99 Cobra engine and some of the other parts from it since I bought most of them new, installed them and have never used the car because I ran out of funds to finish the car after starting "The Man-Cave Shoppe".
I'm planning on finding a low mile 6R80 6 speed auto trans from a 2013ish Ford v8 vehicle because they bold right up to Cobra/Modular v8s and can handle 400+hp/tq stock from the factory.
Hopefully I'll finish this car in less than 5-10 years,,, ha ha ha

Attached picture 00R0R_7IkM4LECx48_600x450.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20180909_191045.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20180914_141804.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20191110_152215.jpg
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Thu Apr 16 2020 07:30 PM
Dave that is quite the "hybrid" Ford you have there. It will be a good memory test in the near future when you get her done. "Yeah the dash is from...and the tranny is a ?"
Good luck.
Posted By: T-way Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Thu Apr 16 2020 07:44 PM
One of my projects for the shut down . . .

I've had these lenses sitting in a raw body for years and decided that I needed a patinaed body to display them in.

Especially since one is an original lens with some significant wear-n-tear (and it's the only original lens known).

So I spent some time and using a few colors of rattle can paint put a few coats of paint on the body.

Then after everything dried, I used some wet-or-dry sandpaper (wet) to remove/age the finish.

Making one side a bit more aged than the other.

After the sanding, I significantly thinned some black One Shot and wiped down the entire body to add some grime to the paint.

Then, using One Shot again, I added in some 'rust' - mixing some sawdust with the brown to give it some texture.

And . . . finally I shot everything with some matte finish clear to knock down any shine and to seal everything up.

Oh, and this is an aluminum body.

Attached picture Franklin-Original.jpg
Attached picture Franklin-Reproduction.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Fri Apr 17 2020 12:50 AM
So glad to see you guys getting stuff done. Tonight I’m in our great room/garage listening to the Traveling Wilburys, having a cold beverage and enjoying a cigar because I can. HA! It’s been sometime that I have done this, we must do the little simple things that get us through the day. Please be safe everyone and take a moment to enjoy what makes you smile, I’m ear to ear right now. I think my ears hurt, not from the smile or the loud music.

Attached picture CB285ED3-C718-488A-AC20-5ABAD2381B73.jpeg
Posted By: ALSS72 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sun Apr 19 2020 05:25 PM
Finishef building and decking the bridge this morning ,
Now will have to skirt and do the railings

Attached picture IMG_20200419_123604459_HDR.jpg
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sun Apr 19 2020 07:43 PM
What is the under structure of the bridge? Looks like metal beam of some kind to me. Just wondering because I have a similar bridge situation and I like how yours is shaping up.
Posted By: ALSS72 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Mon Apr 20 2020 11:41 AM
They are 4"x6" road way steel guard rails that have the arc that worked perfectly for my application.the span is 22' and I use treated 2x6" lumber with self tapping screws fasten to the steel.crossed framed and added Trex decking too top it off.
Hope this helps,thanks ,Al
Posted By: oldpumpjack Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Mon Apr 20 2020 02:20 PM
Now you need to create some weight limit signs. Good job.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Mon Apr 20 2020 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by ALSS72
They are 4"x6" road way steel guard rails that have the arc that worked perfectly for my application.the span is 22' and I use treated 2x6" lumber with self tapping screws fasten to the steel.crossed framed and added Trex decking too top it off.
Hope this helps,thanks ,Al

Thanks, Al. That should be nice and strong. Looks great too.
Posted By: BrianH Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Mon Apr 20 2020 03:28 PM
Al,
I would love to know where you get those arched rails. I have a similar area around my pond where I could use a bridge like this. Would love to know where I can get those steel rails. Your bridge looks great.
Posted By: ALSS72 Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Mon Apr 20 2020 10:24 PM
Thanks guys .Brian I got the rails from my buddy who is an excavator.he has a stock pile of all sorts of items .salvages everything. You may be able to stop by your local town or highway department they may have a scrap yard with old guard rails kicking around.
Have fun with your projects.
Posted By: Alex Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Tue Apr 21 2020 02:11 AM
I was running out of room on the Texaco can shelves...so, I tore it apart, added a shelf and designed it so I could create another shelf behind it and maximize the shelf space. Then I sated rearranging cans and kept finding a boxes of cans that I didn't have room for. So, I had added 10 feet of shelf and have already used about 7 of it. I have also left some spaces for cans I am looking for....anyway..kind of during and after picture. Ialso took down the signs that were blocking the view....

Attached picture Texaco Rack Empty.jpg
Attached picture Texaco Rack Full.jpg
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Coronavirus quarantine home projects - Sun Apr 26 2020 06:35 PM
I had my friend do this custom "Flashing Stop Sign" while doing "social distancing". Shipped all the parts to Keith.

Keith built a custom bracket to hold the "STOP" signal to the "Brass pole". I found the Brass pole at a flea market.

Also, provided the flashing circuitry that runs off a 12V supply.

I wish I had the "talent" of Keith's.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Yjzz0xZgo

Attached picture Front.JPG
Attached picture Bracket.JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk