Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: hawkike Problems?? - Thu Oct 27 2016 10:22 PM
Having trouble, click on a topic and takes a while to load.
Anyone else?

shocked
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Problems?? - Thu Oct 27 2016 10:39 PM
Yep...
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Problems?? - Thu Oct 27 2016 10:40 PM
I've had the same issue on this site for the past day or so, thought it was my internet connection.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Problems?? - Thu Oct 27 2016 10:54 PM
Same here....very slow at times. Thought it was my internet as well!
Posted By: huskybob Re: Problems?? - Thu Oct 27 2016 11:30 PM
Yep..... for the last couple of days.
I open 3 windows hoping one of them will load and I can look at it till the other ones do and just keep rotating that way.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Problems?? - Fri Oct 28 2016 01:42 AM
Sorry that your response times have been slow.

The Oldgas.com server has only had 2 minutes of downtime in the last 1529 days. We have no control over the rest of the paths along the Internet beyond our facility. There have been recent attacks on DNS routing servers that direct traffic. There may have been one of those attacks on the DNS system that handles our traffic.

If you think this or any site is down, put their address in this diagnostic tool.
http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Here is a report on current Internet performance. There are some problems.
http://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm
Posted By: hawkike Re: Problems?? - Fri Oct 28 2016 03:36 AM
Thanks to all for the replies.

shocked
Posted By: JimT Re: Problems?? - Fri Oct 28 2016 08:51 AM
Me too. I see a small box on bottom let that says "Waiting for adn.ebay" to respond while im waiting. Thanks for asking as I was thinking I got some ad ware or something.
Posted By: intagas Re: Problems?? - Fri Oct 28 2016 10:12 AM
Well at least i know its not on my end.
Posted By: richlube oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 12:35 PM
is it happening to me only?
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 12:36 PM
Working normal here.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 12:54 PM
Read here----> http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=112499&Number=670245#Post670245
Posted By: richlube Re: Problems?? - Fri Oct 28 2016 01:05 PM
it took some time to get here but now i know.
Posted By: richlube Re: Problems?? - Fri Oct 28 2016 01:07 PM
it took some time to get here but now i know.
Posted By: It's for sale Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 01:29 PM

a little humor there , it took three try's and about 2 minutes to load
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 01:35 PM
It has been slow for me as well. Today seems better and it wasn't my ISP.
Thought I had a DNS issue for a bit.

Dan
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 01:38 PM
Still loading slow for me.
Posted By: advertologist Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 01:44 PM
finally, better today .. ... cool
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 01:44 PM
Slow here in North Dakota too, but then, life itself moves at a slower pace here and that's why I live here! LOL
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 02:19 PM
It wasn't that long ago I had dial up computer service. A little slow No problem.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 02:35 PM
Originally Posted By Loyd Pierce
It wasn't that long ago I had dial up computer service. A little slow No problem.

Took me 3 minutes to quote you.
I'm considering going back to it. wink
Posted By: Oldgas Moderator Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 02:37 PM
Depending on the path to certain sites, some sites may load normally and some may be choked by a dDoS attack or outage

Here is a Comcast outage map
http://downdetector.com/status/comcast-xfinity/map/

Here is a Charter outage map
http://downdetector.com/status/charter-communications/map

Here is a Time Warner outage map
http://downdetector.com/status/time-warner-cable/map/

Posted By: Bill jr Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 02:55 PM
It's been slow for 2 days
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 04:05 PM
I also, thought it was my computer...although I did note that it was only happening on this site. I've also been multi tasking by doing other things, while waiting for the page to load. That spinning blue arrow/wheel thing is really annoying to watch.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 04:59 PM
I'm getting that same message as Jim in the lower left corner, "Waiting for adn.eBay.com".

I was going to take my computer in and get it scrubbed as I thought maybe I had picked up an on line virus. This thread saved me the hassle.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By Dave's Garage
I'm getting that same message as Jim in the lower left corner, "Waiting for adn.eBay.com".

Same message coming up for me....I've only noticed it since the great slow down!
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 07:35 PM
It is extra slow here too but my wireless service is a rural service and it is not fast on a good day. I did cuss them a little more than usual when this started though. I guess since a lot of us (I know not all!) on here are old and slow anyway we adjusted pretty quick..... smile GB
Posted By: Steven C. Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 08:34 PM
Slow here also!!!
Posted By: Stu K. Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 09:13 PM
Here also............
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 11:22 PM
Day three here but only about 15 seconds to load. It seems like forever.
Posted By: Tankar Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 11:30 PM
47 seconds to load. Whats up.
Posted By: Nicole Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Fri Oct 28 2016 11:49 PM
Same thing happening here in Maryland...very slow no matter where I try to go on this site--twitter and google are not having the same problems.
Posted By: RedHat Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Sat Oct 29 2016 12:22 AM
So far it seems to only be the For Sale, Petroliana News and WTB threads for me. May be a few more that I am missing.

Frequently Asked Questions, Swap Meet List, HomePage, Offers Bids and Unpriced and a few other tabs all load nice and fast.

Strange...
Posted By: hawkike Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Sat Oct 29 2016 12:27 AM
Every topic slow here,25 seconds to do a reply.S000--what is the solution or is there one.At my advanced age I do not have time to dally!!!

shocked
Posted By: Oldgas Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Sat Oct 29 2016 03:23 AM
Because of reports of forum page loads hanging on a feed from edn.ebay.com, I removed the eBay live listings from the top of the For Sale Petroliana, General Petroliana Discussion and Non-Petro Discussion forum sections.

Let's see if that improves the load times for those forums.
Posted By: RedHat Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Sat Oct 29 2016 03:43 AM
Reporting that, that fix worked for me!

Good eyes by whoever caught the edn.ebay.com feed.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Sat Oct 29 2016 04:34 AM
Looks like, that fixed it. Pages are loading fine.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Sat Oct 29 2016 06:32 AM
Couldn't sleep so up checking in this morning. I think you nailed the problem Jim. All of the forums that still have the Ebay banner working at the top of the page are still slow to load. The ones that don't snap right up.....Gary
Posted By: Speedracer Re: oldgas slow to load pages last two days - Sat Oct 29 2016 07:09 AM
Works fine again. Another thing I noticed for the last few days, was when you did a google search in the lower right and got your results, the little picture next to each result did not always match the article / thread. Several articles had the same picture next to them. (I Hope I worded that so it makes sense). However, that seems to be fixed now as well.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Problems?? - Sat Oct 29 2016 11:14 AM
That worked Jim.
Pages load instantly here now.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Problems?? - Sat Oct 29 2016 11:25 AM
good here too, Must have had to do with all the India ***** showing up on the top
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Problems?? - Sat Oct 29 2016 12:03 PM
Not here, still super slow to load "petroliana news" and "want to buy", the others seem ok but those two choke every time.
Posted By: richlube Re: Problems?? - Sat Oct 29 2016 01:33 PM
up and running here
Posted By: hawkike Re: Problems?? - Sat Oct 29 2016 02:45 PM
Some sites are fast some still slow here on the left coast.

shocked
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Problems?? - Sat Oct 29 2016 11:49 PM
I'm consistent here and even tried multiple devices, "petroliana news" , "want to buy" and "non petro-for sale or trade" "showcase and stories" all take forever to load. It starts then just chokes for 30 seconds or so. All the others load almost instantly now.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Problems?? - Sun Oct 30 2016 02:19 AM
Still bad here in North Dakota??
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Problems?? - Sun Oct 30 2016 04:13 AM
Jim, Some threads are slow again. I noticed these are very slow to load:

petroliana news
want to buy
showcase
on line auctions
non petro wanted/for sale/trade
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Problems?? - Sun Oct 30 2016 11:52 PM
Well I just went thru all of the forums, and everything seems to be back to normal. Maybe even a little faster than originally?
Posted By: Nicole Re: Problems?? - Mon Oct 31 2016 02:56 AM
Yes, thank you Jim!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Problems?? - Mon Oct 31 2016 04:56 AM
I've been in Zion National Park with very spotty or no Internet connection for the past week. I've tried to keep up with things on Oldgas.com as best I could. Apparently the feeds from eBay for the live links at the top of forum pages were being delivered very slow much of the time recently. It may be a malfunction on their end or it could be that they were under a DoS "overwhelming traffic" attack.

So I removed those links to speed up the page loading. but without the income from those links, the expenses to run the site won't be paid. So we have to figure out how to resolve the slowness of eBay's servers that provide what's needed.

Glad to be back, but loved being at Zion.
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Problems?? - Mon Oct 31 2016 09:45 PM
" but without the income from those links, the expenses to run the site won't be paid."

This may be a good time to remind oldgassers that the site costs money to run. I will start another thread to address the topic.

If you enjoy the site and appreciate the hard work Jim does for it/us, please help out and send along a donation.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk