Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Ryan Underthun I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Fri Jan 22 2016 12:26 AM
Tuesday I had a runny nose all day and pretty much just felt like crud. I laid on the couch about 7pm and zonked out with a pile of bulldogs on me. My wife got home around 11.30 that night and woke me up. I grabbed a quick shower, and hopped into bed. Once I laid down, I literally could not breathe. My airway was clear, nasal cavities ect, it was just like I was not getting good air. I got up and could breathe ok standing up, but once I sat down or laid down, boom. I could tell my heart rate was quite high, as well as my respiration's, so we headed to the hospital. When we got there they started poking me and prodding me, ended up giving me o2 and a pill to calm me down. They must have done 5 or 6 tests on me, x rays, blood work, EKG test, ect. At about 5.30 am they sent me home with no reason as to what had happened. I turned 40 about 2 weeks ago, I guess this is a sign that I am getting old...

Anyway, I feel ok as of now, but boy was that a scare.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Fri Jan 22 2016 12:53 AM
Yikes. That had to be scary. Hope nothing more comes of it.
Age does kind of sneak up on a guy.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Fri Jan 22 2016 01:15 AM
Any chance it was anxiety? Sometimes stress gets us an we don't even know it's happening.

Just glad they didn't find anything!
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Fri Jan 22 2016 01:15 AM
Dang! Stay healthy Ryan!
Posted By: Done4 Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Fri Jan 22 2016 02:11 AM
Glad to hear nothing was found. Kick back and don't over think it.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Fri Jan 22 2016 01:14 PM
Originally Posted By Steve C.
Any chance it was anxiety? Sometimes stress gets us an we don't even know it's happening.

Just glad they didn't find anything!

The doctor that saw me knew that I was self employed. He did ask me abut stress, but did not think that was the issue. I have had stress from time to time, but nothing lately. I am a pretty mellow roll with the punches kind of guy.

I have a follow up appointment with my regular doctor, hopefully they will find something. I have started noticing little things the past few days now that are not normal. Shortness of breath here and there when doing little things.

Thanks for all the thoughts about me, I appreciate it!
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Wed Jan 27 2016 01:03 PM
Thanks to everybody that has taken the time to send me a PM or reply to this post. I really appreciate it.

I have an appointment today at 11am. Hopefully the docs will figure out what is going on and hopefully it is nothing too bad, LOL. I have to sub for a good friend tonight at ski patrol, hopefully I am out of the docs office in time for that, LOL
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Wed Jan 27 2016 01:19 PM
Scary things, these unknown medical problems! Hope they can find the "probable cause" just to ease your mind! Regular check ups every year have been a big help for me. There has never been anything really bad that has come up, but the peace of mind you get from it makes it worth it! Good luck with it Ryan!!
Posted By: redindianguy Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Wed Jan 27 2016 01:53 PM
Ryan , I Also have a business . Also considered myself very easy going , no cares . BUT I turned 40 and a thing called anxiety showed up . Panic attacks they are called . Hard core chest pain tight breathing elevated heart rate and hearing every beat ,etc etc etc .Everyone gets different symptoms .I am very open about it , there are ways to deal with it . There are worse things to have than anxiety . Everyone has it , its just to what degree it effects you .If I can help by sharing my experience that's what I do . all the best .
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Wed Jan 27 2016 02:46 PM
Thanks guys, I cannot express how thankful I am to have a good group of friends in my life. I just called the doc and I am now heading in a little early due to a cancellation. I will update you guys as soon as I can.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Wed Jan 27 2016 03:44 PM
Hoping for good news Ryan!!!!
As I found out with Melissa on what was just an ordinary Monday morning, this medical stuff can be a great stress in itself!
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Wed Jan 27 2016 04:11 PM
I hope the outcome is positive Ryan. Keep us posted.

Mark
Posted By: Petroholic Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Wed Jan 27 2016 07:36 PM
Sorry to hear Ryan,glad your ok.Any chance it could have been a allergic reaction to something?
Posted By: BryceG Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Wed Jan 27 2016 07:43 PM
good luck Ryan, hope its not something serious. too often are issues chalked up to be stress/anxiety... i hope they are able to find the actual cause.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Wed Jan 27 2016 09:36 PM
Good luck Ryan, hope all is okay.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Thu Jan 28 2016 12:50 PM
Thanks for the positive JU-ju guys, LOL.

So yesterday I went in and saw my new doc. She did quite few tests on me, EKG, blood work, ect. She said my EKG looked great, but my blood work was not. Off to the CT scan I went. After the CT scan, I was told to sit in the waiting room with an IV in my right arm. They wanted to keep it in my arm in case they found something wrong and admitted me to the hospital. After a little wait, the radiation tech came and got me and removed the IV. I thought that was good news anyway. Back to the doc I went, here is the scoop.

My lungs looked great, no blood clots, tumors, cancer or anything that looked bad. My heart looked great, no fluid sacs around it or anything abnormal. The one thing she noticed is that my broncali (Sp?) were quite cloudy. She figured the cloudiness could be from a few different things, most likely a virus. I was given a prescription (that is supposed to give me explosive diarrhea) for it and was told that I should be feeling better in 3 days or so. She said there is a chance that the cloudiness is not viral, so if I am not feeling better in about a week, I need to call and get back in there so they can figure it out.

So that is the scoop, looks like you suckers are stuck with me for a little while longer!

Once again, thanks for all the comments and PM's.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Thu Jan 28 2016 01:03 PM
Hope you're feeling better.
Because you work around paint in a bodyshop,do they think that could be a contributor?
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Thu Jan 28 2016 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By Cold Pizza
Hope you're feeling better.
Because you work around paint in a bodyshop,do they think that could be a contributor?

Absolutely. The doctor said if the meds do not clear it up, that chemicals may be to blame.
Posted By: 63shelby Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Thu Jan 28 2016 03:50 PM
Very happy to hear it's not what we discussed ....hope this medication works and you can move on with life.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Wed Feb 24 2016 10:37 PM
Been almost a month.Feeling any better Ryan?
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Thu Feb 25 2016 01:23 PM
Thanks for thinking of me.

I went in for a follow up on Tuesday morning. The breathing is better, not 100 percent yet, but absolutely better. I have another appointment in a week or so that will do a few more tests to see if we can get it completely back to normal. But for the most part, I feel pretty good.
Posted By: dalin Re: I had a bit of a scare Tuesday night - Sun Feb 28 2016 06:39 AM
Glad to hear your doing al lot better.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk