Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: bsplichal95 Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Thu Jan 07 2016 01:39 AM
Well as some of you may have seen from my Facebook post that my Dad and I are now the proud owners of my Great-Grandparents old hardware store which was called Splichal Hardware. My family is from Munden, KS and that is where it is. We have always wanted to buy the building back ever since they sold it and had an auction in the late 1980's, but it never was for sale until recently! I wasn't alive then, so I never remember it up and running at all. We are super excited to get to work on it and restore it to its former glory. Plus it is a fantastic spot to fill up with goodies also and just enjoy the building and all the memories and history made in it! Enjoy everyone.

Attached picture IMG_0433.jpg
Posted By: Nicole Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Thu Jan 07 2016 04:37 AM
It's a pretty building--nice brick work!

When you all do start to restore it, keep us updated.

Nicole

p.s. being from a smallish state, how far a trek is that from where your family now lives?
Posted By: Oilcanman87 Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Thu Jan 07 2016 04:41 AM
Very cool. Would love to see more pics of it.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Thu Jan 07 2016 06:29 AM
Congrats!
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Thu Jan 07 2016 09:44 AM
I really like the old buildings in small town America. It is a part of the Nations history, before highway bypasses. If you read The Grapes of Wrath, you can experience this life style? Wonderful building. You should be proud to restore family history. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: JimT Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Thu Jan 07 2016 09:58 AM
Braden- your very fortunate to be able to have this experience with your dad.Does your family have any photos of the inside of the shop in the old days?
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Thu Jan 07 2016 09:12 PM
Very cool building, great brick work. I really love this style buildings. I'm sure that if it's been sitting vacant a long time you've got a lot of work ahead of you getting it ready. Kudos to your family to be willing to take on a large scale project like this. Please keep posting here as you work on the property, would be great to see more pics.
Posted By: gaspumpg Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Fri Jan 08 2016 01:08 AM
Very Very Neat
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Fri Jan 08 2016 02:09 AM
Braden--How exciting a project is this! One can only imagine what you might do with it! It will sure be fun to follow your progress!
After meeting your family at IG, I can readily imagine how much enjoyment all of you will get by tackling this project!
Say hi to your dad for me, I really enjoyed talking with him at IG!
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Fri Jan 08 2016 03:55 AM
Thank you everyone.

We are excited to work on it. Both of my parents are from around Munden, KS, since we live in Hays, it is a 2 hour and 15 minute drive, not to far at all. I go back up there a lot to visit family, hunt, visit with a good friend also in the hobby, and work on the farm! I will have to check with the family to see if they have any pictures of it in use, I sure hope they do. I will be sure to take more pictures this spring and summer when we really start to work on it a lot.

Kevin, I will be sure to tell him!
Posted By: slyle133 Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Fri Jan 08 2016 05:15 AM
Love to hear this. Any pictures of when it was in buisness????
Posted By: advertologist Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Fri Jan 08 2016 04:19 PM
cool story, keep us posted.. ... cool
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Fri Jan 08 2016 05:54 PM
That is really cool!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Fri Jan 08 2016 08:24 PM
Great story! Can't wait to see more!!
It would be very cool to own such a place in a small town. Congrats!!!
Posted By: Done4 Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Fri Jan 08 2016 08:32 PM
Too cool! It's nice that you have friends in town to watch over the building when your family isn't there. Can't wait for more posts.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Fri Jan 08 2016 09:43 PM
Nice building as many have written Braden. Looks to have great bones. Being from the prairies myself, I laughed when you wrote 2.5 hours isn't too long of a drive. We would do that for ice cream back in the day. Looks like you'll have a great Splichal museum with of pumps I would imagine.
Posted By: JimT Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Sat Jan 09 2016 12:53 AM
Braden, it looks like there are two doors. Is there a dividing wall or just two doors into the sales area?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Sat Jan 09 2016 01:45 AM
That is so cool to have something like that to be a family history anchor. Happy for you!
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Splichal Hardware now back in the Family - Mon Jan 11 2016 02:49 AM
Jim, there is two doors. Before it was a hardware store with the open floor plan, the part on the right was the post office of the town!

Thanks again everyone. We are blessed to own it.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk