Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: K W FRITH Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 01:09 PM
Our good friend and Old Gas member Tom Buckles, is enjoying his last day on the job--TODAY! Tom has had an extensive career with the US Postal service in Indianapolis and is headed to work for the last day of his postal career! There will be an informal gathering of employees at a "retirement party" at Tom's workplace and today will be the last day Tom is required to work there!
What does this mean to the gas & oil collectibles hobby???
WELL ITS BIG NEWS! Tom has full intentions of diving into his gas pump parts business, FULL TIME!
If you have ever been to Tom's place, you will realize that there is no shortage of work available. This gas pump parts occupation that has consumed so much of his free time, will suddenly become his main focus, and the opportunities are endless for him! Hopefully, with his main focus on his parts business, Tom will be able to find more time to kick back and enjoy life!
Tom's friends have been after him for several years now, to take the retirement available from his job, and get out there and enjoy his real passion--GAS PUMPS! If you're reading this and have a moment, take time to post a little note and congratulate Tom on this new endeavor!
Maybe I can get over there and talk him into a ride in that crusty old Superbird that sits in his shop! LOL Congratulations TOM!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 01:15 PM
Wow, what a feeling that must be to walk out of work for the last time. Bitter/Sweet I imagine in some ways. But more sweet than bitter for sure.
Congratulations Tom!!!
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 01:26 PM
That is awesome Tom, the day has finally come!
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 01:27 PM
Congratulations Tom ! Dave
Posted By: junknjohn Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 01:35 PM
Tom I couldn't be happier. It will be 5 years January 7th that I walked out of work for the last time and its awesome!!! If it any time you need something to do call me and I'll find something for you!!!!
Posted By: archer2 Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 01:40 PM
Congrats and enjoy your retirement Tom.
Posted By: Bass Master Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 01:40 PM
Congrats. Tom, What a awesome way to start the holidays! Hope all goes well for you in the New Year. I look forward to continued business with you. Brian
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 01:54 PM
Congratulations Tom! It was a bittersweet day for me six years ago come March 1st. Great feeling that last day,but I do miss the friendships I had built working day after day with others.
Good news is you will have plenty time to see those friends if you want.
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 01:59 PM
Tom,

Enjoy your retirement and see you at the shows.

Congrats...

Scott Shipers
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 02:00 PM
Congrats Tom! I've been in free mode for several years now and I can tell you that you'll love it. Just don't make the mistake of working harder now than when you were officially "working"! I've got to get by and see you sometime, especially now that I know you've got a Superbird......Gary
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 02:02 PM
Congrats Tom!
More sweet than bitter for me. I hope you'll find retirement and being your own boss to be very sweet.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 02:31 PM
Way to go Tom. Now go and find those parts I need! Please.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 02:38 PM
Congrats Tom.
Hope to see more of you,and that Superbird too.
Posted By: Toys4Fun Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 02:39 PM
Congratulations Tom! Enjoy your retirement! ... Les
Posted By: PlainBroke Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 02:50 PM
From carrying the mail to diving into gas pumps everyday - talk about a great transition.

Congratulations Tom!
Posted By: BryceG Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 02:58 PM
Congrats to Tom! Talked to him on the phone a few times over the past couple weeks, and each day closer to the final day I could hear the excitement in his voice. I'm envious.
Posted By: dalin Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 03:17 PM
congratulations you've always been helpful when I needed parts years ago, thanks
Posted By: poleman Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 03:35 PM
GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENT ENJOY AND HAVE FUN STRIPPING THOSE PARTS PUMPS !!!!! SEE YOU AT DIXIE IN SPRING
Posted By: Nicole Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 03:51 PM
The most important word in retirement is saying 'No' firmly and politely. When folks hear about a friend or family member retiring, they assume that means they have lots of free time. And if you own a truck, all the worse. You'll be asked to move this and that and the kitchen sink--Free.

At least don't make any commitment promises for at least 6 months, to figure out what you really want to do and who you really want to help. Gotta do things you love (though I am guessing you already got that figured out) and not things you are guilted into.

Say No! The real friends and family members who care about you, will forgive you.

Happy retirement!

Posted By: shawn Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 05:23 PM
Congratulations Tom !!!!. must be a great feeling. always a class A guy to deal with and look forward to dealing with you more in the future
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 07:14 PM
Tom

Congratulations on your retirement I did that 6 months ago and still have no time to do what I want
Bill
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 07:23 PM
Awesome! Congrats Tom. Merry Christmas for sure!
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 08:38 PM
Congrats, Tom! I hope you find retirement and your "now fulltime" venture; fulfilling and very enjoyable!

I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas and a profitable New Year in 2016...
Posted By: Stu K. Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 08:59 PM
Congratulations! Just be safe around those pumps. We are fortunate to have people like you in this hobby.
Posted By: 1PetroFan Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 09:21 PM
Congrats Tom! My fear is what will I do with my time when I retire. Having the parts business sounds like a fantastic way to spend your time. Brady
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 10:16 PM
I'm done! The last day, I finally made it!!! smile smile laugh
38 years in vehicle maintenance, 25 years as the supervisor. I finally made it. Last week was bitter sweet, today?....it could not have been sweeter! Can you tell I'm happy?

Thank you all so much for the kind wishes! I really appreciate it.

I sure won't be sitting on my butt, I already have pump road trips planned. I am looking forward to this next chapter in my life.

Anyone is welcome to stop by for a tour of the junk yard and maybe if the weather is good get the 'bird out for a ride.

I look forward being able to devoting more time on here and helping in any way I can.

Best wishes, Tom.

Attached picture IMG_20151223_35674.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20151223_43136.jpg
Posted By: LOWright Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Wed Dec 23 2015 11:10 PM
Congratulations Tom! ….Enjoy!
Posted By: hancock-oil Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Thu Dec 24 2015 12:15 AM
Congratulations Tom! I'm jealous of retirement the Bird and what looks to be an FM3 T/A
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Thu Dec 24 2015 12:26 AM
Congrats Tom, enjoy your retirement.
Posted By: keithia Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Thu Dec 24 2015 12:32 AM
Congratulations Tom you deserve it. Just don't find all the Sinclair stuff....save me some!
Posted By: eric grinder Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Thu Dec 24 2015 12:55 AM
Congrats Tom..good for you! It's a good thing I'm about to have a mega list of parts I need..lol
Posted By: JimT Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Thu Dec 24 2015 12:56 AM
Congratulations! You deserve it Tom. I hope you have many, many healthy , enjoyable years to do whatever you feel like. Four more seasons for me.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Thu Dec 24 2015 01:01 AM
Okay I'm in line for a ride. The garage looks just like I remember it.

Congrats Tom, I hope you spend the time exactly how you want to. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Hope you have many years of healthy retirement.

The Doneths
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Thu Dec 24 2015 01:09 AM
Congratulations Tom! Enjoy your retirement!!!
Posted By: azjockey Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Thu Dec 24 2015 01:12 AM
Congratulations !! Tom . What a great time to to enjoy the holidays. Good luck on your quest..

Few more years for but looking forward to it.

Gene
Posted By: H1HUMMER Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Thu Dec 24 2015 12:30 PM
Wow ! ditto ALL of the sentiments above ! Congratulations & Happy Retirement

Steve Z
Posted By: Let er' Buck Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Thu Dec 24 2015 05:13 PM
Congrats Tom enjoy yourself you've earned it.
Only 21 more to go for me here at the railroad if I can hold out that long 😳
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Thu Dec 24 2015 05:22 PM
Congrats Tom. You will be busy doing the things you want to now. Richard
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Fri Dec 25 2015 02:46 AM
Congratulations on your achievement Tom .
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Fri Dec 25 2015 04:07 AM
Congrats Tom!
Posted By: wads Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Fri Dec 25 2015 01:17 PM
Congratulations Tom!!! Bet you can almost picture the day you started 38 years ago.
May you enjoy many years of the good life doing what you want, when you want.
Posted By: 72Scamp Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Fri Dec 25 2015 01:17 PM
Congrats Tom, enjoy your retirement. I have 3 1/2 yrs to go, can't wait.
Posted By: Alex Re: Tom Buckles Retirement Day! - Mon Dec 28 2015 02:27 AM
Tom: congratulations. Here's to the next 38 years.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk