Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DWSheffer Help with original car artwork..... - Sat Aug 08 2015 12:40 PM
Hello All,
I was hoping with members cross-collecting knowledge someone might be able to help me with this. I know this type of item has collectors appeal so I bought it as the price was right. Does anyone recognize this original artwork as being used in any advertising or illustrations of the time? Dated 1974 in the lower right corner, the piece is still sealed with the original backing and label from the Detroit Picture Frame and Moulding Company, so I feel it is definitely connected to the auto industry either as concept art or ?
I am unable to see if there is any artist signature due to the mat and I don't want to break the seal so it shows that it is all period original.
Thanks for any help,
Darin

Attached picture Car Art 1.jpg
Attached picture Car Art 2.jpg
Attached picture Car Art 3.jpg
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Help with original car artwork..... - Sat Aug 08 2015 06:42 PM
It might be box art for a model kit rather than actual car. It's got the right color scheme for old kit art.

Have you checked under the matting for any markings?

It could also be proof for tire advertising artwork. Lettering would have been added over the top and could have been moved around for proper placement.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Help with original car artwork..... - Sat Aug 08 2015 07:02 PM
I forgot to mention that above Paul...a local collector thought it could be model kit box artwork as well. I have not taken the sealed backing off as until I had a better idea of what I had I want to leave it sealed. I guess I will have to start looking at model boxes to see if it shows up!
Darin
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Help with original car artwork..... - Sun Aug 09 2015 07:38 PM
Look at MPC and AMT boxes.

Last year I had the opportunity to see about 10 original art pieces for the model kits. Super cool and one-of-one pieces only used on a single model kit.
Posted By: tgas Re: Help with original car artwork..... - Thu Aug 13 2015 08:37 PM
It is a Ford concept car. I will do some digging for you.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Help with original car artwork..... - Thu Aug 13 2015 08:48 PM
Thanks tgas...I look forward to any help you can provide.
Darin
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Help with original car artwork..... - Fri Aug 14 2015 11:06 AM
The profile looks like a GT40 with the front nose and the side scoop. The rim looks like a raised GT style, though the center looks suspiciously like a Chyrsler product emblem.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Help with original car artwork..... - Tue Apr 21 2020 11:53 AM
I was going through some of my old threads and thought I would post an update on this one. A friend of mine is a dealer of car literature and advertising, so I had him on the lookout for anything connected to this artwork. Low and behold, he sends me a text one day and there's my artwork in print. Evidently it was created for use in a Kelsey-Hayes advertisement for their Mag Star I wheels in 1965. I was very excited the mystery was finally solved! Originally I thought it was from 1974 but this must have been some sort of catalog number for the piece, I have no idea.
Darin

Attached picture HR Cover.jpg
Attached picture KH Ad.jpg
Posted By: nochevys Re: Help with original car artwork..... - Tue Apr 21 2020 02:50 PM
That's some fantastic sleuthing to find that.
Nice original artwork as well...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk