Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: johninlongview Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 03:13 PM
I was at the local Buick dealer helping an elderly lady I know purchase a car to save her some money. The owner had this sign
hanging in the back above the grease rack and I was able to buy it. One side of the neon had a crack, so it's being repaired, but I thought I would show some of the pics to you guys that like neon... It's in very good shape with original screws and can. The Buick dealer said that it had been hanging there as long as they had the dealership....I'm hoping to have the other neon back by Monday from the shop....

Posted By: cormy Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 03:17 PM
GREAT sign...lucky!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 03:30 PM
awesome sign, you did good.. cool
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 03:30 PM
Wow! what an awesome looking sign!

It sure was meant to be yours ...

Is this sign considered "CUSTOM"?

Hen
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 03:48 PM
Very nice, original porcelain neon sign. Nothing custom about that one.
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 04:10 PM
Since you mention: "Nothing custom about that one".

Do you or others have seen this sign before?

1- With Neon
2- Without

There is a reason why I am asking ...

Hen
Posted By: aquatic Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 04:21 PM
I have the same sign with neon
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 04:24 PM
Does that answer your question...it's real.
Posted By: marky Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 07:09 PM
just curious what does it cost in texas at your neon guy and is replacing the broken piece or repairing it.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 07:11 PM
Like Dave's score this is a nice piece. Love the size.
Please show us the final result when the neon is all in.
fred
Posted By: johninlongview Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 07:11 PM
Originally Posted By: marky
just curious what does it cost in texas at your neon guy and is replacing the broken piece or repairing it.

It looks like he may have to replace the b and it's going to cost between $80 and $100.
Posted By: marky Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 07:20 PM
man alot of the neon guys out here wont do repair work because of the mercury thats a good deal
Posted By: johninlongview Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 07:41 PM
Originally Posted By: marky
man alot of the neon guys out here wont do repair work because of the mercury thats a good deal

Hold that thought until he's through......From experience, it's usually higher.. ha ha ...The only dealings I had with this guy is I bought a Chevrolet Cameo Pickup from him a year or so ago. He's a nice guy, but when there is a third party involved, I usually expect the price to go up if there is a problem.........Of coarse, at this point, I would have paid several hundred dollars to get this sign working properly.
Posted By: PlainBroke Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 08:06 PM
Color me "green" with envy, fantastic piece John. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sat Jul 20 2013 08:37 PM
Very Cool
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sun Jul 21 2013 01:47 AM
My friend has a porcelain sign advertising the porcelain sign company in Meridian Mississippi that made your sign. He's also one of these guys who NEVER sells anything.

Neat sign.
Posted By: JimT Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sun Jul 21 2013 11:53 AM
Great acquisition John. Congrats.
Posted By: johninlongview Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sun Jul 21 2013 11:54 AM
[quote=Dave Richey]My friend has a porcelain sign advertising the porcelain sign company in Meridian Mississippi that made your sign. He's also one of these guys who NEVER sells anything.

Neat sign. [/quote

Maybe next time your at your friend's, he may let you take a quick pic of the sign...
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sun Jul 21 2013 12:36 PM
WoW John !! Now that's a trophy dealership neon sign. You done good. Keep us posted when you get it back from the neon shop.
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sun Jul 21 2013 02:31 PM
Looks like your being nice in helping your elderly friend paid off big time. Great sign!!!
Posted By: johninlongview Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sun Jul 21 2013 02:45 PM
[quote=Tom Stover]Looks like your being nice in helping your elderly friend paid off big time. Great sign!!! [/quote

Tom, I'm a preacher here and I while I'm not one of those "prosperity" preachers, I do believe that " Whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap"....
YES....It paid off big time!
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sun Jul 21 2013 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: aquatic
I have the same sign with neon

Thank you for the heads up!

Sent you a PM.

Hen
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Sun Jul 21 2013 04:59 PM
Will do, John. I didn't see the name of the company in your pic,just the city, but I can't imagine there was more than one company in Meridian-it's not exactly a metropolis.
Posted By: rumbleseat Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Mon Jul 22 2013 04:17 PM
Wow!
Posted By: johninlongview Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Mon Jul 22 2013 11:14 PM

Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Mon Jul 22 2013 11:32 PM
As they say these days-"Sweet"
Man that was quick turn around on the neon. What was the fix?
Fred
Posted By: Novaman Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Tue Jul 23 2013 12:20 AM
Nice Sign!
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Tue Jul 23 2013 12:37 AM
great sign - those were made by Walker also - and I have owned them in various sizes - some are REALLY big. That is a great size you have for most. Good find!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Tue Jul 23 2013 12:58 AM
Looks even better now!
Posted By: johninlongview Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Tue Jul 23 2013 01:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Looks even better now!

I had the " b " replaced because it was cracked. It's a little differnt color because the other neon is very old, but I didn't want to redo the neon on the whole sign....
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Tue Jul 23 2013 01:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Signs&Neons
I have owned them in various sizes - some are REALLY big. That is a great size you have for most.

What are the various sizes? I am going to look at two that are for sale and the info would be helpful. Thanks
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Wed Jul 24 2013 09:21 PM
sorry I don't have exact dimensions - but as I recall this smaller one (shown in this post) is roughly 7-8' and I had a larger one that the porcelain was split into 2 panels (left/right) and overall size was approx 30" x 12'+. Hope that helps.
Posted By: johninlongview Re: Found this Buick Lubricare Porcelain Neon - Thu Jul 25 2013 11:13 AM
This sign measures 7'-2 1/8 Long x 18" Tall x 9" Deep ( which includes the neon )
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk