Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DH44 Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 05:58 PM
Hi all-
We purchased an old Sinclair station several months ago and finally took possession. The station had, unfortunately, been neglected for many years due to lack of funds. We've been working like crazy for 2 weeks to get the buildings emptied out so we could get a handle on what is needed for the renovation. The additional building is probably going to end up requiring more rehab than the station- today the roof on the station is being replaced and when they pulled off the bad roof, 99% of the water damage was restricted to the main office area. So that's being addressed and the roof should be finished up tomorrow. The secondary building is probably going to require significant re-framing.
Part of the original tile roof trim was removed years ago, but fortunately the previous owner just left the tiles on the roof. We removed those and are going to re-do the original tile trim, and found a supply for the original 1937 tiles and have a shipment on the way. The interior of the station was full of clutter, and 90% of that is gone. The paint is coming off quite nicely with a pressure washer, so plans are to re-painting the bay to the original green/white color scheme.
The one exterior bathroom had been boarded up for more than 30 years. We removed the steel plate, and shoveled out loads of debris. After all the junk was taken out, the majority of the stall woodwork is going to need minimal repair to restore. The door is totally gone, but we'll find one to replace it.
The interior of the secondary building had been paneled over the years and pulling that out is a pain, but we're getting down to the original walls pretty quick. Once everything is out, plans are to go back with runners and sheetrock/insulate the interior. Going to leave the ceilings out and sprayfoam insulate the buildings. Then it's time to address the windows. I'd like to keep most of the old metal ones, but will probably go with double-pane insulated ones in the office area.

Attached picture 13.jpg
Attached picture 4.jpg
Attached picture 15.jpg
Attached picture 8.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 06:02 PM
More pics

Attached picture 10.jpg
Attached picture 16.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5642.jpg
Attached picture 17.jpg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 07:12 PM
Cool project. Have fun with it. What's the outside of the overall building look like (unless you'd rather not post)?
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 07:50 PM
WOW now there is a project worth committing time and effort too. Keep us posted on the progress. AND YES enjoy the process.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 09:02 PM
You have made a tremendous amount of progress in a short amount of time! Congratulations!!

Speedracer, here you go! http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=130778&Number=751938#Post751938
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 10:25 PM
a project that will reap many rewards .. ... cool
Posted By: Tankar Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 10:27 PM
Cant wait to see it progress, wish I had your ambition
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 10:31 PM
Great project with lots of work ahead but no shortage of zeal judging by your note above. Should be a dandy restoration.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 12:06 AM
Thanks for the link Jim, I just looked at the pics of the outside..... WOW, is that ever cool !!!!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 01:13 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Yes, we've made good progress- I don't want this project to "drag on" because I already have my eye on the next one...:)
For this one I'm forgoing using a GC- we have a good electrician, good roofer, good HVAC guy, etc.
Today was supposed to be spent getting the roof finished up but it's pouring outside. I'll never complain about rain.
Yesterday they pulled the old roof- the previous owner had stapled a tarp to the ceiling instead of fixing the roof- it was sheets of tin that leaked. But once they stripped all the old roof, it wasn't bad- the damage was confined to over the "office" area- the wood over the canopy and bays is in good shape. After fixing the rotted wood and plugging the holes, we're going back over the whole roof with 1/2" decking before the roof material goes on.

Attached picture 77.jpg
Attached picture 33.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 01:19 PM
Inside, the bay area is cleaning up nicely. Once the roof is finished we'll be doing a lot of power washing to strip the old paint. Yesterday I took a closer look at all the bay windows- and unfortunately the bottom metal is completely corroded/rusted away. So that makes the decision to go with double pane replacements easier, and they will undoubtedly be more energy efficient in the long run.
The old vacuum cleaners were still in the bay in a recessed compartment, but they were beyond saving. Did save the old lift tank and I'm going to refinish it.

Attached picture 22.jpg
Attached picture 66.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 01:26 PM
The other evening I decided to check and see if the canopy wiring was still good. Replaced all 4 of the bulbs (I'll bet they had been burned out for 25 years) and they all work. We're in a debate right now about how to address the tin ceiling under the canopy. There are a couple of rusted patches that I want to repair to keep out birds and wasps. A guy here in town that has old buildings says you can patch them by taking some strips of hammered tin, then inserting them in the holes and epoxy them in place then paint. I am leaning towards doing that, and painting the ceiling white, but the Missus is leaning towards just spraying the tin with a sealer and leaving it as is. I guess we'll decide that after the stucco/tile/paint work is done.

Attached picture 6.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5646.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5574.jpg
Posted By: yeley101 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 06:51 PM
What a cool project!!! I am with your wife.....no paint on the ceiling.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by yeley101
no paint on the ceiling.

fantastic patina .. ... cool
Posted By: Skydog Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Sep 13 2020 05:15 PM
Interesting project! Is this in Dallas?

Greg
Posted By: Young's Union Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Sep 13 2020 05:37 PM
I'm with your wife also. Leave the patina. White paint just says you are trying to cover up something---- just my 2 cents.
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 16 2020 12:13 PM
Update- roof is on! Yay! No more leaking. They managed to get on the decking and tar paper before the bottom dropped out, so a full day of rain happened. Of course that leaked through everywhere, but it actually helped "demo" some of the ceiling in the office area. That is almost complete now- the ceiling is heavy! Metal mesh lath with concrete/plaster.
Looked over the bay windows again and had a 48-years of experience glass man come out and he said "no problem" so we're going to replace every pane of glass in all 6 of the bay/back office windows. And meeting with a glass company this morning to get measurements and an estimate for the office glass re-do.
It's coming along. Having it "dried-in" is a big help.
Should be getting interior and exterior pressure washing done this week or next.
Received my shipment of replacement (original reclaimed) roof tiles last week. Found a guy with 5 million reclaimed tiles and he had everything we needed to replace the tile roof. Now just need to find someone that knows how to install them....

And you guys are right- we're going to leave the patina ceiling smile

Attached picture Demo_ceiling.jpg
Attached picture Roof_new.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 16 2020 12:39 PM
Thanks for the update. It's amazing how much progress has been made so far!
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 16 2020 02:36 PM
Cool project. The original signs are somewhat common but prices on nice clean porcelain is strong right now. I would go with original signs if possible.

Good luck

Wes
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 16 2020 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Wes Maxwell
Cool project. The original signs are somewhat common but prices on nice clean porcelain is strong right now. I would go with original signs if possible.

Good luck

Wes

That's my intention- based on "scars" on the building it looks like I need 3 large (for the canopy) SINCLAIR signs, then maybe 2 vertical Pennsylvania or Opalene. Not sure I'll be able to secure them all, so maybe 2 large then a "ring sign" on the front. I definitely want the "Washing" and Lubrication" ones, though....

Attached picture Signs3.JPG
Attached picture Maybe.JPG
Posted By: ALSS72 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri Sep 18 2020 02:13 AM
That's awesome I could live out rest of my life there.i have a 14'roof topper would look sweet on top of spaghetti there.
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri Sep 18 2020 02:15 AM
What a cool project!!! Keep
Up the good work!

Rob
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 30 2020 12:24 PM
Last week made a little more progress on the station- complete pressure wash of the outside and inside the bays. A lot of the bad paint came off, and subsequent to drying out it looks like it would benefit from another round of spraying inside the bays so that's coming up pretty soon. Shifting work to the windows now- I know it seems like I'm bipolar on some of this but we did decide to keep the old metal windows in the bay, the back storeroom and the bathrooms. Found a local guy that retired with 48 years experience in glasswork and he's going to start replacing every pane in the windows next week. A couple of the windows were rusted out along the bottom, but I think I've come up with a fix that'll work. Spent a couple hours yesterday evening with a hammer and chisel, chipping out the concrete where the metal frame used to be. Used a grinder to cut off the bottoms of the frame and have one of the windows getting close to ready. A piece of 1 1/2" square tubing fits nicely in the hole, and 1/4"x1/4" angle, when welded to the 1 1/2" tubing, will provide a good base for the window to sit on.
I've never seen concrete like the bases of the windowsill. Hard as granite and had all sizes of flint pebbles in it. Made for interesting chiseling.

One of the "good" windows, then the two "not-so-good" ones....

Attached picture Windows1.jpg
Attached picture Windows2.jpg
Attached picture Windows3.jpg
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 30 2020 08:55 PM
Really like what your doing here ! Man” s/ Ladies dream getaway . Thanks for posting your progress . Look forward to seeing more .
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Oct 14 2020 01:03 PM
More progress- window guy is doing great work breathing life back into the old bay windows. They are almost all cleaned out now and, once they're wire brushed will be ready for the new glass.
Had a guy make one full pass through with a pressure washer and a lot of the paint is coming off. Let it sit a couple of weeks and I bit the bullet and bought a pressure washer and have been working my way around the bay again. It's going to be ready for paint pretty soon, hopefully. Working on spec-ing out the bay doors now, it's taking a little bit of work since most of the suppliers are nowhere close to local.
Knocked out the partition wall between the bay and the office and it really makes a difference. Going to go back in the opening with some double-pane glass. Evolving plans again, we've decided to re-do the ceilings in the office/storeroom/bathroom area after foaming. The ceiling will give it a much cleaner, original look and will definitely help with energy efficiency.

Attached picture window_base.jpg
Attached picture wall.jpg
Attached picture open.jpg
Attached picture opening.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Oct 14 2020 02:10 PM
You have made quite a bit of progress! That station is cleaning up nicely. Thanks for the update.
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Oct 19 2020 12:50 PM
More progress- the windows have now been painted and ready for glass to start going in this week. The color really "pops" and will be very nice against the new white walls when they're done.
Also tore out the old "countertops" that were in the office area to get ready for the window replacement- found a few termites so I'm glad I did expose them. Ordering of the bay doors should happen today- talked to the supplier on Friday and they said we're looking at a 3-4 week delivery time.
I took a heat gun to the brown paint on the "Men's room" door and it's beautiful wood underneath, so I am hoping I can get it completely stripped and back to it's original glory. Interesting that the men's room was inside the office area and the ladies room is outside- I guess there were fewer ladies needing accommodation back in the 30's...
I also tried the heat gun on the transom windows- they are ridged glass and, over the years, the owners had painted BOTH SIDES, but the paint didn't melt away like I had hoped. Still working on what to do there.

Attached picture Wall_windows.jpg
Attached picture Mens_Window.jpg
Attached picture Office_demo.jpg
Attached picture Office_2.jpg
Posted By: smokey1 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Oct 21 2020 01:03 AM
First, super restoration project and love your restoring a piece of Americana.
Understand you want original Sinclair, Washing, and Lubrication porcelain signs.

Consider having a local painter/artist paint on the building surface(s) scale sized painted signs.
Then as you can acquire originals, hang them directly over each hand-painted place holder.
Find a local high school art department or local artist that needs some work during CV19 times.

This would provide a nice look/theme on the building while giving you time to acquire all the original porcelains.
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Oct 21 2020 01:27 AM
I'm following. Very cool!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Oct 21 2020 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by smokey1
First, super restoration project and love your restoring a piece of Americana.
Understand you want original Sinclair, Washing, and Lubrication porcelain signs.

Consider having a local painter/artist paint on the building surface(s) scale sized painted signs.
Then as you can acquire originals, hang them directly over each hand-painted place holder.
Find a local high school art department or local artist that needs some work during CV19 times.

This would provide a nice look/theme on the building while giving you time to acquire all the original porcelains.

I’d like to find the original signs- that’s a given. There was a local artist that did a lot of building lettering and murals in a nearby town, but I haven’t seen him around lately. The “sign-searching” will start in earnest pretty soon, but there seems to be a lot of folks out there that are fond of Sinclair stuff...
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri Oct 23 2020 11:48 AM
Glass is going in- bay is almost re-glassed, working his way around. Still looking for a way to get paint off the ridged windows! I think we have decided to keep the transoms and had to order one piece online.

Attached picture newglass1.jpg
Attached picture newglass2.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri Oct 23 2020 03:31 PM
Cleaning out the back room and found 3 nozzles. One is still in the box but the box is falling apart. I guess these are from the 40's?

Attached picture 800f.jpg
Attached picture opw.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Nov 09 2020 02:02 PM
Another update. All the exterior steel-frame glass has now been replaced. The bathroom glass turned out really nice. Spent part of 2 days up on the ladder cleaning the paint off the "marker" tiles- the north wall ones are in really good shape and they cleaned up nicely. I can't believe they had painted over them. Began the process of cleaning the roof tiles- the process is apply stripper, scrape, more stripper, scrape, wipe off, more scrape, etc..... It's going to take a while but the tiles are cleaning up pretty well.
Today the gutters are going up on the back, tomorrow more demo in the secondary building. I was able to find a local young guy that's a fireman and he's been doing some demo- finished up the ceiling removal in the station and now he's gutting the secondary building.
The bay doors are on order and should be in in a couple of weeks. At that time I'll get the "office" glass installed- the countertops are removed and there is just a small amount of water-damaged wood to replace so that should go pretty easy.
I started cleaning the ridged transom glass- what a job! The previous owners painted inside and out. The outside is smooth so that's basically brush on acetone, wait, then scrape with a razor blade. The inside is ridged so it's acetone, rub, acetone, rub, acetone, wire brush, etc... But they are so pretty when cleaned may end up keeping them....

Attached picture BR1.jpg
Attached picture Office_demo.jpg
Attached picture West3.jpg
Attached picture TR1.jpg
Posted By: Skydog Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Nov 09 2020 02:07 PM
Those tiles look great! Nice work.

Greg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Nov 09 2020 03:06 PM
Every time you post photos of your progress my back hurts! Seriously, I am really impressed with how much you have accomplished as well as how nice all the completed work looks. I wish you much continued success and look forward to the next update,
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Nov 10 2020 02:53 AM
Amazing job every time I view your progress it impresses me . Can’t wait to see it finished .
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Nov 10 2020 03:49 AM
Thanks, guys. It's progressing faster than I had hoped. More demo tomorrow, and sometime this week a new "ladies room" outside door should be in. I really can't wait for the exterior paint- it's going to really make it "pop".
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Nov 15 2020 10:12 PM
ABSOLUTELY, one of the coolest projects I've seen done with an old station. You are doing a FABULOUS job on the restoration, congrats! Would be my dream to be able to do a restoration as that! Wish I lived closer as I would help you for free!. Will keep watching, and keep up the GREAT work!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Nov 23 2020 01:56 AM
Not much progress the last week as "real work" has ratcheted way up. I was at the station one day, though, and a friend drove up and said he had an old picture of the original station. I was glad to get it, now I know what the signage looked like. Too bad there was a camper in the way!
I did manage to locate enough 4x4 green tiles to replace all of the broken ones, so that was a win.

Attached picture Actual_Pic.jpg
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Nov 23 2020 04:41 AM
That is cool that you got an original picture. The gas pump looks like a Bennett 371 or 541. Sinclair used Bennett pumps more than any other manufacturer.
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Dec 10 2020 02:35 AM
Was able to get a little work done on the bathrooms. The men’s room is going to get fresh paint and the old sink and toilet seem to be useable.
The ladies room “napkin” dispenser and paper towel holder may be salvageable too- going to take some detailed photos, then see if I can get the rust off and repaint them.
The bathroom door was installed today and I got it all caulked up- hope to get the wood primed tomorrow if real work allows it.
A piece of ridged glass will be ordered for the transom.
Still waiting on bay doors and glass.

Attached picture 5D0BA2C2-F549-46A8-A2A6-058532D1AC0F.jpeg
Attached picture 4097E1E9-25BC-40CE-B22C-98F23F818DA9.jpeg
Attached picture EB9240BC-F161-4C3C-AF94-7960DE983A69.jpeg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Dec 10 2020 03:20 AM
Thanks for the update! I am enjoying watching the progress you are making, although I know you have to be even more pleased than all of us keeping tabs. Keep up the good work!!!
Posted By: JackJ Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Dec 10 2020 04:09 AM
What a great project. Well worth the doing. I look forward to your updates and have enjoyed every one of them. Thanks - Jack J.
Posted By: Skydog Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Jan 07 2021 08:13 PM
Any updates for us?

Greg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jan 11 2021 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Skydog
Any updates for us?

Greg

Things have been slow with the holidays and work. I did get a call that the new bay doors are in and they want to install this week. Have to make sure the welder is available to build the center support. Been having an exceedingly difficult time finding anyone to do some framing and put the ceilings back in. Slow going, but that seems to be the common case- it's sad how hard it is to find someone that actually wants to work and then follows through....
Posted By: fuelboy Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Jan 12 2021 10:37 PM
This is really cool to see unfold. I just drove through Dallas this past Saturday and would've loved to see this. But... just came from Tulsa headed to Houston and was already tired and wanted to beat that weather that was on the way.
Posted By: Skydog Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Jan 13 2021 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by DH44
Originally Posted by Skydog
Any updates for us?

Greg

Things have been slow with the holidays and work. I did get a call that the new bay doors are in and they want to install this week. Have to make sure the welder is available to build the center support. Been having an exceedingly difficult time finding anyone to do some framing and put the ceilings back in. Slow going, but that seems to be the common case- it's sad how hard it is to find someone that actually wants to work and then follows through....

I totally understand your issue, it is hard to find contractors that are willing to take on a small job for a one time customer.
Good ones are tied up with builders that keep them busy, till they're not...
This happened to me in 2009, I closed my Cabinet shop when the bottom fell out of new housing.
Show us those doors when they are in!
Greg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri Jan 22 2021 11:09 PM
Doors are in! Should be finished up tomorrow.

Attached picture 3B8214ED-19B5-456A-B15F-6DDAE5B988C9.jpeg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Jan 23 2021 12:43 AM
Looking good!
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Jan 23 2021 12:53 AM
That sure set’s that front off . Looking good and you sure have a gem there .Can’t wait to see it finished . I am jealous you are getting to live your dream . Love the updates . Keep on keeping on .
Posted By: keithia Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Jan 23 2021 03:52 AM
Awesome project and looking good!! You can even see where the Washing and Lubrication signs were at!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Jan 23 2021 07:04 PM
Finished up- really nice job on the fit. The doors are chain-host operated. The doors help dampen the road noise considerably.

Attached picture C1E2665E-9C70-47D0-8F24-067C34A84C66.jpeg
Attached picture EBAB1DA2-0371-4B8F-988B-49B776ACA3DE.jpeg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Jan 23 2021 07:20 PM
huge project - big results - most big exterior projects look too be complete,

you appear too be rounding 2nd base & heading too home on exterior work .. ... cool
Posted By: BrianH Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Jan 23 2021 08:12 PM
Looks great! I'm really enjoying following your progress on this. Kudos to you for taking on this project.
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed May 05 2021 11:12 PM
More pictures please, we're dying here!! LOL!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu May 06 2021 11:43 AM
Sorry- it's been a while since I posted but work, Snowmageddon, materials availability and grandkids have been in the picture. We're making really good progress recently, though, and I've actually been able to take some time off and work alongside the contractor this week. Electrical is partially done in the station, met with a plumber yesterday and we got everything lined out. Met with a concrete guy Monday and he's going to start in 2 weeks. My contractor and his son have been kicking butt this week- I'm heading over there in a little while and will get some outside pictures. Lots of effort has been going into the accessory building which is really good because I was thinking we would do the station first then work on the building next door. It's really coming together now.
ADA-compliant bathroom is a pain. The size is ridiculously large and we probably were grandfathered in from needing to do one but I did not want to have the city come in after construction and say we had to add one...
Here's a teaser photo- this is the front from the inside Wednesday morning. Wait until you see Thursday morning!

Attached picture 1.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri May 07 2021 01:46 AM
Good progress today- some pictures follow.

First one- Front windows/door before we started ripping them out. You can see where they had built up over the windows with cinderblock and put on some hideous brickwork.
Second one- Glass out and cinderblocks ready for the taking.
Third one- inside back window that was completely rusted out and blocked in- removed and then we moved the adjacent window into the slot and are going to cut a door to the courtyard in place of the window where we removed the good window. Only cracked one pane getting it out.
Fourth one-all the storefront and frontside windows/transoms ripped out and framed in. Glass man came by and measured for the replacement windows/transoms/front door.

Attached picture 1.jpg
Attached picture 9.jpg
Attached picture 3.jpg
Attached picture 14.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri May 07 2021 01:51 AM
Some more pics:

1. Bathrooms gone and ready for revision
2. Interior bathroom demoed and plumbing ready to remove
3. Front of the building- the beautiful row of green tiles at the bottom were covered! And we're gaining lots of light by opening up all the windows that were concreted over.

Attached picture 4.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Attached picture 15.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri May 07 2021 01:53 AM
Hope to get the door cut out tomorrow- renting a concrete saw. Once that's done and framed in it's time for building new interior walls.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri May 07 2021 02:14 AM
You have been busy! A heck of a lot of progress has been made. It must be quite a kick when you find some hidden gem like the green tiles. Thanks for the update and continued success!
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon May 10 2021 01:16 PM
Keeps looking GREAT and thank you for the update! Come winter, when it is way too cold up here in Maine, I'll come down and help, and just sleep on the floor in my sleeping bag! LOL! Continued success!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu May 13 2021 01:13 AM
Making good progress this week. All the rotten rafter ends are cut off and replaced. I'll get a pic tomorrow. Still have to put a beam down the middle. It's a miracle the whole ceiling/roof didn't collapse in the building.
Having to move the power meter from it's current location. The previous owners added on to the building and instead of moving the meter, they just built around the supply lines. It's another miracle the whole metal roof didn't get charged up and zap somebody. So I climbed up there with an impact wrench and removed a ton of screws and we're going to pull off the old tin, move the power meter and replace the roof.

Attached picture 16.jpg
Attached picture 18.jpg
Attached picture 20.jpg
Posted By: fuelboy Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri May 14 2021 12:32 PM
I'd think by now after the roof you probably won't have many more big surprises lurking anywhere?
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri May 14 2021 03:58 PM
One would hope- but I’ve found out with these old buildings- they’re like onions-you just keep peeling back layers and each layer makes you cry a little bit more!
But I hope you’re right- although I am a little cautious about getting too cocky since the plumbers haven’t started re-running all of the lines/sewer/gas yet.
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu May 20 2021 08:25 PM
Big week. Got the power turned off and the meter is being relocated and the roof torn off today.
Spent a large part of the week addressing the structure. After all of the rafter ends were replaced there was up to 3" of sag in the center of the building. Call to the local builder/top-notch welder and we installed both a wooden 12' beam and a 28' 10" steel ibeam. Rented a scissor lift and got lots of help and jacked up the beam, and the ceiling, and got the ceiling straight and strong. Not going anywhere now, hopefully.
Also started tearing off the old tile-replacing stuff and have the tile roof specialist lined up to come out sometime this week or next to get an idea about rebuilding it.

Attached picture 24.jpg
Attached picture 25.jpg
Attached picture 26.jpg
Attached picture 23.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu May 20 2021 08:27 PM
New windows in the secondary building today. Waiting on the doors- they are slower than windows for some reason. Also got the big windows removed in the station and are framing them in for final glass measurements.

Attached picture 28.jpg
Attached picture 29.jpg
Attached picture 27.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu May 20 2021 09:06 PM
You have been busy! That is a whole lot of progress. Thanks for the update.
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Jun 01 2021 05:26 PM
Another update- hit it pretty hard last week. Going to pull the roof off the add-on because the previous owners had put a roof on top of a roof. And not your typical "roll-out-another-layer" roof. The original roof was 3/4" decking with shingles. That had some rotten spots, so they built an angled roof on top of it with 3/4" decking and tin. Since we're putting the AC compressors up on it, I wanted to remove the weight and rot of the old roof(s). Whenever the rain lets up that should be torn off and re-framed and re-roofed.

Friday and Saturday we pulled out the old windows and transoms. I wanted to save them but they were too far gone and they had termites in them. Got the exterior and the interior ones re-framed and the glass man came by Monday and measured for the new glass. Going to go with the double-pane like the other building.

Attached picture 6.jpg
Attached picture 10.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Jun 01 2021 07:16 PM
You have been getting after it! Regarding termites in Dallas, I was told when I moved here "It's not if you're going to get them, but when". Keep up the good work. I know we all enjoy seeing the progress you are making.
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jun 21 2021 12:11 PM
More progress in the last couple of weeks. Plumbers finally had some time and spent the better part of 2 days sawing and jack-hammering the concrete floor out to replace and re-run and add drains for the new toilets and sinks. The concrete was thicker than they thought it would be so it was slow going.

New toilet drains and tie-in to outside sewer, and where the kitchen sink and handwashing sink are going.

Attached picture 10a.jpg
Attached picture 11.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jun 21 2021 12:12 PM
The station windows and the secondary building doors came in and they were installed. The installers shattered one of the interior pieces of the double-pane window and had to order a replacement. The windows really look good.

Courtyard door- still waiting on the sidelight glass.

Windows in for the station. will be trimming them out pretty soon, hopefully

Attached picture 7.jpg
Attached picture 5.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jun 21 2021 12:13 PM
Prep work for some of the concrete work is in progress- waiting on the plumber to re-route the main supply line before the forms are built.

Attached picture 1.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jun 21 2021 12:15 PM
Got the portion of the roof to be re-tiled ripped off and we're hoping to get the tile guy out this week to figure out how to prepare the roof for them to install the tiles.

Attached picture 9.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jun 21 2021 12:18 PM
I selected one of the least-visible broken tiles to experiment on. Was able to chip out the busted tile with a hammer and chisel and only sacrificed a little of the surrounding plaster. I figure I'd rather replace plaster and grout than break some adjacent tiles so the tile replacement is going to be slow going. Mounted the new one with a good dose of tile adhesive and now will go back and grout and re-plaster around them. But it looks pretty good and I think it's worth it to replace the broken ones on the front of the station.

Attached picture 12.jpg
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jun 21 2021 12:28 PM
This is and has been one of my favorite threads . Awesome job and appreciate the time your are taking to document the process . Always eager to see the progress .
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jun 21 2021 12:34 PM
Thanks for the update! Ditto what buzzy56 says, I think a lot of us enjoy seeing the progress you are making on this station renovation.
Posted By: RedHat Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Jun 27 2021 04:25 AM
Really awesome to see this kinda of love and dedication given to an old and deserving piece of history. Fantastic progress!
Posted By: FlyinJenny Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Jun 27 2021 05:47 AM
This is going to be stunning when finished. I hope sometime when I'm up in Dallas I can drive by and appreciate this beauty in person. That tin ceiling is fire!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jul 19 2021 11:13 AM
Another update- got the west parking area poured and completed Friday while dodging rain showers. The concrete guy did a really good job. Now all the concrete work remaining is the "courtyard" area and he should get to that this week or next, hopefully.

Attached picture b.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jul 19 2021 11:16 AM
We got a lot of work done this weekend. I spent some time up on the ladder replacing broken tiles. My legs are still rubbery from going up and down the ladder. Each one of the tiles has to be chiseled out by hand so the surrounding plaster/stucco doesn't suffer too much damage.

Attached picture 6.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jul 19 2021 11:18 AM
I think I'm done on the west side- all the tiles that I am going to replace are replaced. Still have to go back and grout them. I think they look pretty good, 4 on this side had to be replaced.

Attached picture 9.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jul 19 2021 11:22 AM
The roof over the addition to the secondary building was was a disaster. The original roof didn't have enough slope, and it was rotted. Then the previous owners added another roof over it, and it rotted. So they shaved 2x6s and put tin over the whole mess, and it leaked. All of the old roof was ripped off and a new roof built. It was made heavy-duty since the AC compressor is going on top of it.

Attached picture c.jpg
Attached picture d.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jul 19 2021 11:26 AM
I spent all day yesterday in the bathroom. And no, it wasn't due to bad burritos for lunch. The wall between the interior men's room and the exterior ladies room was a water-damaged, termite-devoured mess. A sledgehammer, couple other hammers, grinder and shovel and wheelbarrow and the wall is gone. Going to re-frame the wall and foam insulate it.

Attached picture 7.jpg
Attached picture 8.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jul 19 2021 11:27 AM
All gone now.

Attached picture 10.jpg
Attached picture 11.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jul 19 2021 11:28 AM
Was able to salvage the original sign for the men's room- the varnish/paint on it cleaned up nicely.

Attached picture 2.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jul 19 2021 11:35 AM
Hope to get the windows and doors that are remaining in sometime soon. The HVAC equipment that we ordered is in and at the shop, ready for installation when it's time. The interior bathrooms in the secondary building are framed and electrical is in process. I'll get some photos of the framing when I get by there today.

I've learned a lot on this reno. Mostly, though, I've learned don't say what you're going to do until after you've done it. Every step of the way things change for a variety of reasons and what you thought would do changes. But overall, it's been a blast.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jul 19 2021 01:47 PM
All I can say is WOW! It is more than impressive to see what you have accomplished to date. Thanks again for the update. I eagerly look forward to the next one.
Posted By: petropumps Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Jul 20 2021 04:19 AM
This is fast becoming one of my favorite threads. Thank you for sharing!
Posted By: ChestnutsDad Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Jul 24 2021 12:49 PM
Quite a project. Should be great when finished!
Posted By: red_green17 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Jul 28 2021 02:50 AM
Like many on here, I love following this! Hands down one of the coolest projects I have seen!
Posted By: JackJ Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Nov 25 2021 12:53 AM
Been awhile since we've heard from David on his amazing Sinclair Station restoration. I hope it hasn't derailed for some reason. - Jack J.
Posted By: kjsplichal67 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Nov 25 2021 09:18 PM
Awesome work!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Dec 01 2021 02:58 AM
Hello everyone. Sorry for the long pause but I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger. On top of the reno in the last 3 months we have also started renovating an old oil storage building into an office/apartment, decided to retire at the end of the year, moved the in-laws, and emptied out and sold our house and theirs all while still working full-time. It's been a real juggling act but the end is in sight as we have moved from Dallas area and are up here full time now.
So where to start. I haven't been taking as many pictures because I keep telling myself I need to then don't get around to it! Oh well. Here are some that will hopefully show the progress.

First- finally got the tile guys out and installed the run over the bay doors! I think they look pretty spiffy.

Attached picture 11_30_1.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Dec 01 2021 03:02 AM
Brought my tractor in from the ranch one day and decided to see if I could pick up the lift. Voila- it worked. Had a local metal maestro come out and straighten one, cut the ends off, then I spent a few hours grinding the ends and still have some paint cleanup to do. We're going to weld up two braces along the piston and I had some old bridge beams that I took to a local woodmeister and he planed them, joined them and epoxied them into a table top. So the lift is going to be a 10 foot long pub table.

Attached picture 11_30_3c.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Dec 01 2021 03:03 AM
More work on the lift and the soon to be table top

Attached picture 11_30_3.jpg
Attached picture 11_30_3b.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Dec 01 2021 03:05 AM
Finished replacing and re-grouting all the face tiles on both buildings and had the buildings foamed and the sheetrock is done.

Attached picture 11_30_14.jpg
Attached picture 11_30_4.jpg
Attached picture 11_30_9.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Dec 01 2021 03:07 AM
[Linked Image]This week the tin ceilings are being installed. Took for-frickin-ever to get the tin tiles made and delivered. Doing black in the main room and kitchen, also in the front two rooms of the station. White is going in the bathrooms in both buildings.

Attached picture 11_30_7.jpg
Attached picture 11_30_10.jpg
Attached picture 11_30_11.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Dec 01 2021 03:16 AM
This is the inside of the box building when we finished demo. The walls are framed and the floor is covered and the bathroom and storage walls are up. I'll try and get some pics later....

Attached picture 11_30_12.jpg
Attached picture 11_30_13.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Dec 01 2021 03:20 AM
Also been doing some work at the ranch and taking care of the cows in my "spare time". Going out there is now only a 15 minute drive and it's a great recharge.

Attached picture 11_30_5.jpg
Attached picture sunr.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Dec 01 2021 03:25 AM
So I hope that gives a little bit of an update. Hopefully the tin ceilings will be finished this week, then foam the ceiling in the bays, then get the HVAC units finalized, trim out, plumbing finished up, etc.etc.
It's really coming together and looking good. Can't wait for the paint!
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Dec 01 2021 01:59 PM
Thanks very much for the update. You have been busy! It is fun to watch along as this project progresses. Thanks again!!
Posted By: JackJ Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Dec 02 2021 02:54 AM
Thanks for the great update and pics. Fun to watch the progress. - Jack J.
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Dec 02 2021 02:21 PM
Fantastic work, and thanks for the update and pictures! ALWAYS anxious to see the changes! Merry Christmas to all! Mike
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Dec 04 2021 03:03 PM
Congratulations you are living most Petro nuts dream ! Lucky man you are for seeing it and pursuing it . Can’t wait to see it finished . Do you plan on living in it ? Just curious what the long term goal is ? Thanks for the updates .
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Dec 06 2021 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by buzzy56
Congratulations you are living most Petro nuts dream ! Lucky man you are for seeing it and pursuing it . Can’t wait to see it finished . Do you plan on living in it ? Just curious what the long term goal is ? Thanks for the updates .

Not really sure yet. Probably have a cafe or something in the one building and some kind of "hang-out" in the station. Kind of taking it slow and seeing what makes the most sense....
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Dec 06 2021 07:24 PM
Whatever it becomes it sure will be a draw . Coffee/ deli/ Homemade soups some simple but hardy stuff .
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Dec 23 2021 02:34 AM
Still plugging along. Got notice today that the signs are ready to ship. Can't wait to get them up if we ever get to the painting stage! I super-sleuthed out a company that was able to make the signs by using the small "eBay SINCLAIR" sign as a go-by, they duplicated the font and used my pictures from old stations and the dimensions I provided based on the marks I measured on the station and made the signs. They really look good....

Attached picture signs.jpg
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Dec 23 2021 12:47 PM
Signs look nice and will look even better on the building. What are they made of or how are they produced? Pained tin, vinyl wrap, porcelain?
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Dec 23 2021 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
Signs look nice and will look even better on the building. What are they made of or how are they produced? Pained tin, vinyl wrap, porcelain?

They are porcelain- I looked into paint and vinyl and they both wouldn’t last in this weather.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Dec 23 2021 06:17 PM
whoever did the signs did a fabulous job,

those are going too make the station pop .. ... cool
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Dec 30 2021 05:21 PM
WOW!!!! Signs look killer, and porcelain no less! Can't wait to see them on the station also! Can you post the name of the company here?
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Apr 12 2022 02:54 AM
Has something happened to the guy restoring this old station, as he hasn't posted any pictures since December? Just wondering as I love the work he's doing!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 01:54 AM
Sorry for the lull in posting, but it's been absolutely crazy since December.
I retired the end of December and we sold out of our house and sold out the in-law's house and all of us moved up near the station.
Got pulled off the station for 2 months turning another building (an old oil-barrel and tire storage building) into an office/apartment.
We're almost through with all the carpenter work and the painter is supposed to start prep this week.
I'll get together more pictures but here are a few.

Attached picture image21.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 01:55 AM
That's the storage building that was turned into the apartment/office. Covered most all the walls with shiplap.

Attached picture image22.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 01:57 AM
Finally got the lights and fans hung in the bays.

Attached picture image18.jpeg
Attached picture image5.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 01:58 AM
Fixed the old men's room door and stained and re-hung it.

Attached picture image17.jpeg
Attached picture image8.jpeg
Attached picture image12.jpeg
Attached picture image7.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 02:00 AM
I cleaned and stripped and chipped the lift to where I wanted it. Coated it with 6 coats of poly and now I'm waiting on the painter to finish before I mount the top.

Attached picture image19.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 02:01 AM
I had some leftover barn wood so used it to make a counter front for the building. On top of the counter is the beam I mounted above it.

Attached picture image6.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 02:04 AM
We also had some leftover plaster lath wood from another building we own that we stripped out in 2015. The building was built in 1893 and I had kept a bundle or two of the plaster lath strips so I spent some time planing them down, then stained them and mounted them to the ceiling to close in the new AC unit and also above the alcove in the station.

Attached picture image15.jpeg
Attached picture image13.jpeg
Attached picture image14.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 02:10 AM
The alcove ceiling- and I had an old set of horns that had been laying around for years so I gutted them and mounted some LED lights inside and they are going in the alcove to be a downlight.

Attached picture 67089112299__D463FAA2-618A-45D3-BD95-102993B650CC.jpg
Attached picture image16.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 02:14 AM
Here's a better shot of the interior of the accessory building. Hanging over the counter is an old bridge beam I had planed down. Then we routed out a channel and I mounted an LED strip to provide light for the countertop.

Attached picture 0.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 02:16 AM
Last week got the strip behind the station concreted in. Had two local boys build me a gate/fence out of sucker rod and used an old drill bit that sat on my desk in the office for years to finish it off.

Attached picture image4.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_6933.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6934.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 02:19 AM
I needed a coffee bar for the building and had a couple of beams left. So I took one and got the grinder and stripped it down and then polyurethaned it. I'm going to have the boys build me two sucker rod brackets to hang in from the wall.

Attached picture 3.jpeg
Attached picture 1.jpeg
Attached picture 2.jpeg
Attached picture image4.b.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 02:21 AM
Sorry the updates have been scarce. Tomorrow it's time to empty out a lot of the lumber and supplies and tools and get ready the painter. I'll keep up better with progress photos, promise....
Posted By: Rocadog Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 02:33 AM
Holy smokes - you have been busy! Amazing progress!
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 12:01 PM
Thanks for the updates . I Really admire your vision and dedication to this project , Cant wait to see the finished station . My favorite on the site .
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 01:28 PM
One word. WOW! Thanks for bringing us up to date. Keep up the great work.
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 03:20 PM
Thanks, guys. It’s really coming together now.
The biggest struggle I’ve had is with these dang windows. They’ve had 80+ years of film, crud, and who knows what else baked into them. I’ve probably spent more time on trying to get them cleaned than anything else in the whole project!

Attached picture D19BE2A3-AB35-4E77-8FB2-DF6912B1DA37.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 03:22 PM
I’ve used every chemical available, gone down them with a razor knife, and even tried to use a wire brush on a grinder to get them clean and they just keep getting worse!
These I was able to get clean because they hadn’t been painted over before.

Attached picture 0FA59866-7E30-40CD-85BB-4B26E91F9FA9.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 03:28 PM
Got the cabinet built for the front alcove and one for the back of the office- they are wired for drink machines or a coffee maker

Attached picture 4AD57E74-57E3-400E-B580-106A279C6470.jpeg
Attached picture 4DA71988-694C-4257-B0E9-31A8CC4A0603.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 03:33 PM
Yesterday the window trim guys came back and trimmed out the interior using the same aluminum as the outside. That seemed to be the best solution for covering up the old plaster and wood around the new windows.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 03:37 PM
After not seeing some pictures for so long on this great restoration, was hopeful you and family were OK, and that it was just that life gets in the way sometimes. Glad to see that was the case! Thank you for the update, it's looking great! Love to see all the progress as it is happening! Thank you!
Posted By: Skydog Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 06:01 PM
Thanks for the update, really looking forward to seeing the signs in place!

Greg
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 06:51 PM
Great job. We all are enjoying your project. Thanks
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Apr 13 2022 07:57 PM
You can try Muriatic acid with water to scrub them it works good on porcelain signs I use it on stubborn ones . Need to be careful though wear chem gloves goggles and mix correctly sequence wise . Google it . Good luck
Posted By: Tankar Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Apr 14 2022 04:35 PM
Alot of work and $$$ but will be so worth it when done. Very nice
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Jun 20 2022 05:36 PM
Hope all is well here, as we've not had any new great pictures in months! Always love seeing progress on it!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Jun 26 2022 12:00 AM
Yeah sorry been getting a lot done. Paint is almost finished and it's looking great. All the HVAC is installed and operational. Next week or two it's floor sealing time in the station. Then final plumbing and that's everything but outfitting both buildings....
I'll try to get some photos up soon. Here's a teaser of the inside of the bays. We were able to color match the green using an old shelf board we demoed early on. And one of the outside- I painted the hose hangers and bay bumpers red since when I stripped off the old paint the original color was red.

Attached picture IMG_7014.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7035.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Jun 26 2022 12:06 AM
very nice restoration -

should be on the historical building list .. ... cool
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Jun 26 2022 01:17 AM
That is one eye catching building! Thanks for the tease, looking forward to more.
Posted By: Mllrtym Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Jun 26 2022 03:58 PM
Looks Great, it will really pop when you get the signs on the building!
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Jun 26 2022 05:26 PM
As they Say looking good in the neighborhood ! Always look forward to you updates . I Can’t wait to see the finished building I know it will be awesome . love the Tex green wall .
Posted By: Rocadog Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Jun 26 2022 05:35 PM
Congrats on a whole lot of hard work that is showing in these pictures - cheers!
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Jun 26 2022 05:46 PM
Looking GREAT! Thanks for the update on progress.
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Jun 28 2022 12:57 AM
Almost through with the exterior paint on both buildings- waiting on the sign guy to call me back!

Attached picture IMG_7068.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Jun 28 2022 12:59 AM
WOW!
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Jun 28 2022 02:41 AM
Looks fantastic! Keep up the GREAT work!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Jun 29 2022 03:00 PM
Couldn’t resist- I had an old horn set lying around so I made it into a light for the station…

Attached picture 8AA22DA3-1520-4740-8B90-7B3286E2EE87.jpeg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Jun 29 2022 03:27 PM
cool addition .. ... cool
Posted By: Mark8216 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Jul 05 2022 02:44 AM
Thursday I was driving down the road on our way to Lake Texhoma and saw this great looking old station and said to myself, “I’ve see that station before” and it clicked it was yours DH44 and I had seen it here on Oldgas! Your station is an eye catcher from the road for sure! Keep up the good work! We snapped a picture as we drove back by this afternoon.

Attached picture 592C17E4-41A7-42CD-9072-FD42DA2240BE.jpeg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Jul 12 2022 02:24 PM
Got the floor epoxy down yesterday. Decided to go with red on the pipe bollards. Still waiting on the sign guy…..

Attached picture E28504A1-91AF-4CF7-B615-FE48567F4531.jpeg
Attached picture FEFE9E74-06E4-4604-8A09-D3A236662B7F.jpeg
Attached picture CB3D8868-D9DE-4090-AF1E-FF84CC6B5DD6.jpeg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Jul 12 2022 04:57 PM
I'm always impressed to see how much progress you continue to make on this project. Thanks for sharing this with us!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Aug 24 2022 11:36 PM
Signs are up!

Attached picture image4.jpeg
Attached picture image0.jpeg
Attached picture image1.jpeg
Attached picture image2.jpeg
Posted By: Tankar Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Aug 24 2022 11:51 PM
Looking great
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Aug 25 2022 12:09 AM
awesome restoration .. ... cool
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Aug 25 2022 12:11 AM
That looks fantastic!
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Aug 25 2022 12:17 AM
Congratulations ! A Work of art well done .
Posted By: Mllrtym Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Aug 25 2022 03:16 AM
Wow, you should be proud of how you have brought back this great station. I knew the signs would make it pop!
Posted By: Rocadog Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Aug 25 2022 03:53 AM
David - thanks for the update…looking killer! Kudos for the journey!
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Aug 25 2022 02:06 PM
Wow, we now get a modern look back in time! Looks great!
Darin
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Aug 27 2022 11:16 AM
Looks better all the time and as one gentleman said, the signs just make it pop! Thanks for saving the old place, and for posting pictures!
Posted By: mcgas Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Aug 27 2022 02:58 PM
Looks Awesome! Thanks for keeping us updated!
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Aug 27 2022 04:35 PM
Amazing!
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Aug 28 2022 02:39 PM
Great looking station. Signage really looks good...
Posted By: Skydog Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Aug 28 2022 06:33 PM
Looks wonderful, you should be proud!

Greg
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 29 2022 12:51 AM
Well you have obviously impressed us..but what is the local community's traction to all your hard and excellent work?
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Aug 30 2022 12:30 AM
Most everyone is very appreciative and very complimentary. There are a few that make comments like "looks good but will it serve a purpose". Oh well.
Still trying to determine what's the best fit for the buildings. Small communities are tricky when it comes to what they think they need (or want) versus what the demographics will actually support. It'll be something fairly soon, though- just a slow and deliberate process.....
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Sep 03 2022 02:48 AM
Mr. DH44, been watching your craftsmanship and progress on the Sinclair station, and just wanted to say that I wish you all the best in what you do with it for a business. Heck with any naysayers!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri Sep 09 2022 08:24 PM
Bay #3 going up! This will be a covered/enclosed seating area but with a roll-up door in the front to match the other 2 bay doors.

Attached picture 7DBFF9E8-BFF7-475F-8229-E8F8C5985CB2.jpeg
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Feb 04 2023 05:36 PM
Hasn't been an update since September, hope everything is OK! Miss seeing some progress!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:08 PM
Sorry for the lag in posting- been real busy with ranch things, grandkids, holidays, family, etc etc.
Pretty much done with both buildings except for furnishing/outfitting for whatever goes in them. Still working on the intra-building area and I'm getting ready to install the back door and start building the back wall.
Picture dump follows....

Outside the station.

Attached picture IMG_7453.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:09 PM
Front of the second building

Attached picture IMG_7452.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:10 PM
Nice long white wall- going to have an "Instagram-type mural" painted here probably...

Attached picture IMG_7451.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:11 PM
West side of the station

Attached picture IMG_7439.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:11 PM
HVAC bank and back of the station

Attached picture IMG_7438.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:12 PM
Covered area- sliding door and wood accent wall going up there in the back of the framing

Attached picture IMG_7442.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:13 PM
Front room of the station

Attached picture IMG_7430.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:14 PM
Back room where the coffee bar should go

Attached picture IMG_7431.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:14 PM
Front bathroom

Attached picture IMG_7429.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:15 PM
Back room looking front

Attached picture IMG_7433.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:15 PM
Back room

Attached picture IMG_7432.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:16 PM
Looking into the bays

Attached picture IMG_7434.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:17 PM
Looking from the bays back into the office/front area

Attached picture IMG_7435.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:18 PM
Secondary building bench

Attached picture IMG_7444.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:18 PM
Counter area

Attached picture IMG_7445.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:19 PM
Coffee bar I made

Attached picture IMG_7446.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:19 PM
One of the bathrooms

Attached picture IMG_7448.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:20 PM
Looking back to front

Attached picture IMG_7450.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:21 PM
Storeroom/washing area- waiting on sink and equipment, refrigeration, etc. depending on use

Attached picture IMG_7449.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:22 PM
So that's about it- easing into usage and working several different angles.
And also looking for the next project- maybe another station.... smile
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:32 PM
WOW! I can't even imagine how much work it took to get this station looking as great as you have made it. Congratulations on a job well done!
Posted By: Rocadog Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:54 PM
Holy Smokes! What a fantastic finish…can’t wait to see what you decide on usage!
Posted By: 1PetroFan Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Feb 06 2023 10:55 PM
Amazing what you have accomplished!!!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Feb 07 2023 12:12 AM
awesome restoration .. ... cool
Posted By: Tankar Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Feb 07 2023 12:20 AM
Very nice
Posted By: archer2 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Feb 07 2023 08:33 AM
It looks great! Thanks for all the postings.
Posted By: redmike Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Feb 08 2023 11:20 AM
Thanks for the photo update. SUPER job, the place looks fantastic. Shows how and why hard, professional work can be so gratifying! Good luck!
Posted By: smokey1 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu Feb 16 2023 05:28 AM
Someone earlier in this thread asked about the Sinclair porcelain signs that were fab'd.
They look really nice.

Would love to know sign company and city they are located?

Thank you in advance.
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Thu May 11 2023 09:38 PM
Well, looks like I may need to start a new thread!
Details coming soon……
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sat Aug 26 2023 05:48 PM
Still dabbling with this one until it cools off enough to get going on the other one. We’ve had a couple of meetings in here and some of the older folks were a little iffy getting up the one step! So I had one of these extra and decided to give it a try as a handhold for the step.

Attached picture IMG_7872.jpeg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk