Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: coopersplace From Rough to Respectable Gallons - Sun Sep 08 2019 04:22 PM
I had a dealer drop by on Friday with a rough Buffalo gallon tin that he wanted to see if I could improve its condition. It was quite battered and I couldn't do anything about the scratches and paint loss but it had potential. About a month ago I had bought a Prestone gallon with the intention of taking the bottom off and seeing how much could be straightened. So most of Saturday was spent working on these two to see what I could achieve with my limited ability. I am not a trained body-man but have had some success with straightening certain cans. Each projects is different depending upon the thickness of the metal and how much abuse it has endured. Both took about the same amount of time though I feel that the Buffalo fared better than the Prestone. The latter had way more small dents and some would just not smooth out. When dealing with painted metal surfaces you have to balance how much you want to work the metal before you start to damage the paint. Overall I happy with what was achieved and each job is a learning experience for me for the next one. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture IMG_8663.JPG
Attached picture IMG_8664.JPG
Attached picture IMG_8665.JPG
Attached picture IMG_8666.JPG
Posted By: coopersplace Re: From Rough to Respectable Gallons, 1st photos - Sun Sep 08 2019 04:23 PM
2nd photos

Attached picture IMG_8668.JPG
Attached picture IMG_8669.JPG
Attached picture IMG_8667.JPG
Posted By: Done4 Re: From Rough to Respectable Gallons, 1st photos - Sun Sep 08 2019 04:46 PM
Wow, nice job. Did you cut the bottom out to gain access for the straightening?
Posted By: coopersplace Re: From Rough to Respectable Gallons, 1st photos - Sun Sep 08 2019 04:59 PM
Thanks, yes I use a safety can opener which cuts just on the bottom rim rather than the can body itself. When I am finished I use JB Weld to hold the bottom plate back into position. Cheers, Don.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: From Rough to Respectable Gallons, 1st photos - Sun Sep 08 2019 05:05 PM
Nice work. I saved a 2 gallon by cutting the bottom out to gain access for repairs.
Posted By: RedHat Re: From Rough to Respectable Gallons, 1st photos - Sun Sep 08 2019 08:07 PM
That’s pretty cool, job well done 👍
Posted By: Stu K. Re: From Rough to Respectable Gallons, 1st photos - Sun Sep 08 2019 08:31 PM
Very, very nicely done.
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: From Rough to Respectable Gallons, 1st photos - Mon Sep 09 2019 02:36 AM
Excellent work there. Turned out way better than I could imagine .
Posted By: Speedracer Re: From Rough to Respectable Gallons, 1st photos - Mon Sep 09 2019 07:54 PM
Nice job. They look much better.

-Steve
Posted By: ironheadtom Re: From Rough to Respectable Gallons, 1st photos - Mon Sep 09 2019 08:45 PM
Looks great Don
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk