Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: K W FRITH Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 03:26 PM
Some of you may remember when I was able to buy my Wayne 50 showcase from an old friend of mine that had found it here in North Dakota, many years ago! It was in bad enough shape, that I started on an immediate journey to have it restored.
I pulled the computer right away and sent it off to Joe for rebuilding, and then I sat down and stared at the pump for a long time, and finally decided that I wanted a better restoration than I was probably capable of, and I also had too many projects! I decided to send it to Nate Schmitt here in North Dakota. Nate has a restoration shop here in North Dakota, and his work is impeccable! His attention to detail is just amazing! He is also a member of this site and has done work for other members too!
My pump had a few issues with some rust deterioration around the window frames, and we decided to have new inner frames made. A few phone calls later, I was able to contract that work out with a master craftsman from California, and we sent off the parts needing copying.
I was also missing the lower doors for the pump, but Gas Pump Heaven had a set in stock for me. I had them sent direct to a porcelain shop that I use in Kansas City, and asked to have them porcelain coated white, rather than painting them. I got another bright idea about a week later and called to see if they could duplicate a black clover and triangle into the panel, and was surprised when they offered to try it. It took a couple of tries to get it right, but the results were great and I now have porcelain doors on the pump with a Cities Service clover and triangle cast right onto the front and back doors in porcelain!
We took off all the parts we wanted chromed, and sent them off right away to be chromed and polished. We also needed new trim pieces on the interior and Ron Scobie had those parts for me, along with the clips for the glass. That left me needing glass, and after a few more phone calls, I was able to locate a person that could get some glass panels made and shipped to me! Looked like we had everything covered, and it was simply a matter of sitting back and waiting!
Well, nothing ever happens fast in the collectibles industry, and this pump was no exception! It seems like there were always little problems that would pop up and slow the whole process to a snails pace. There was never anything that was earth shattering, it was just that there were so many people involved, that any little problem seemed to slow everything down while we waited for the problems to be resolved! It took 2 years from the time we started, until I picked it up about 2 weeks ago! It was very hard to be patient, but good things are always worth waiting for, and I knew this was one of those good things!
With a pump this big and heavy, there are always little things that slow you down, and even the loading and unloading from my truck was a task that had to thought out and some special equipment utilized! When you have a bunch of time and money into a restoration, you tend to be very careful when handling it. We ended up using a car lift to get it into my truck for the journey home, and found a pickup with a Tommy lift to transfer it into, to lower it to ground level again!
After getting it into place, I got a little busy for a few days, but was able to tackle the installation of the glass shelves, and loading all the display pieces into it! Just the shelves and display items took up a whole day! Anyway, its finished for now, and I snapped a few pictures last night. Here they are!

Description: Wayne 50 as found
Attached picture Wayne 50.jpg

Description: Sitting in the truck, waiting to be unloaded!
Attached picture Wayne 50 001.JPG

Description: Finally sitting in my shop!
Attached picture Wayne 50 002.JPG
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 03:28 PM
Here is the finished product sitting where it will probably be for many years to come!

Attached picture Wayne 50 005.JPG
Attached picture Wayne 50 006.JPG
Attached picture Wayne 50 007.JPG
Attached picture Wayne 50 008.JPG
Posted By: pickurt Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 03:34 PM
Great display case!

Kurt
Posted By: BryceG Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 03:45 PM
FANTASTIC!
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 03:45 PM
Looks great Kevin. Congrats.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 03:50 PM
awesome restoration.. ... cool
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 03:55 PM
What they said!!!! Awesome!!
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 04:13 PM
Very nice....
Darin
Posted By: oldwelder Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 04:15 PM
Looks like a work of art!
Posted By: SKomatinsky Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 04:37 PM
Looks awesome Kevin
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 04:53 PM
You sure do set the bar high for the rest of us Kevin. You must be proud of this one. I especially like the porcelain Cities touch.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 05:02 PM
Looks great!
Posted By: vwbusjukie Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 05:02 PM
Now that is nice!!!
Posted By: eric grinder Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 05:04 PM
Killer Kevin..not many if any done in Cities..looks great!
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 05:10 PM
Looks good buddy. Nice display.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 05:15 PM
Very sweet. Great job!
Posted By: Stevo Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 05:32 PM
Outstanding job Kevin!!
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 05:44 PM
When I started reading this thread I expected to see an excellent looking pump; but the finished product is so much more than I expected.

Congrats to all those that had a hand in producing such a gem!

Kevin, I know that I never would have had the foresight to envision such a jewel; great job!
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 05:47 PM
Very nice Kevin! Looks great.
Posted By: Alex Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 06:57 PM
Kevin: Should have been Texaco....LOL
Posted By: dalin Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 07:03 PM
Looks great
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 07:17 PM
Beautiful Kevin! Was the rest of the white on the pump originally porcelain? I assume so if you had the lower doors done. They did an awesome job with the Cities logo there....Gary
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 08:26 PM
Gary-- The rest of the pump is painted steel. I had those panels done that way because of the other porcelain pumps that were done for Cities Service by Tokheim and Erie. I had the contacts to get it done, and I thought it would really add to the pump, so I went with it!
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 08:51 PM
Man , what a nice pump Kevin . It looks so neat loaded with all the goodies . You can just stare at it and take a step back in time . I think you need a model t wrecker now done up in cities to match it . ...and make a mini station inside your shop. Great looking pump !
Posted By: Stu K. Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 09:31 PM
It seems that most projects take much longer that originally planned. That being said, Kevin, it looks magnificent! Since I'm into signs and not globes, is that a standard Cities Service globe or something rare? It's also nice that you had some very nice smalls to stock it with.
Posted By: LOWright Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 10:19 PM
Looks great Kevin! Well worth the wait…..
Posted By: blacktee Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 10:41 PM

Just Beautiful Kevin, how about some lighted photos of the products you stocked it with.

Again an awesome job !
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Thu Nov 12 2015 10:42 PM
Great looking pump Kevin.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 12:15 AM
OH BOY
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 02:06 AM
Nice!!!
Posted By: Toys4Fun Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 04:07 AM
Very nice Kevin! Look forward to seeing it in person some day.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 04:13 AM
Wow, it came out great. Your comment in a past thread "wait until you see how good black and white looks" is right on. It does look awesome in black and white. I still think you Erie 53 would look good in Cities also.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 04:24 AM
Very nice Kevin. Looks great. I just went to an auction last month and watched this one sell for $25,000!!!! Needless to say, I was outbid.

Attached picture IMG_2133[1].JPG
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 05:00 AM
Super nice Kevin
Posted By: JimT Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 10:07 AM
Wow Kevin. It really is quite awesome. The porcelain panels are really something too.
Posted By: ABCTrip Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 10:56 AM
Super nice! Doesnt get much better than that.
Posted By: garagejunkie Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 12:28 PM
one word.....WOW
Posted By: H1HUMMER Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 01:54 PM
Pretty darn spectacular ! personally love the black & white
scheme !

Z
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 02:48 PM
Kevin nicely done. looks good too
Posted By: pumpdoc Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 09:41 PM
Great looking pump. As somebody has already said "you raised the bar for the rest of us ". Thank You and enjoy that awesome pump. Dan.
Posted By: BlkAngus Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Fri Nov 13 2015 10:45 PM
Looks even better in person, dandy pump my friend
Posted By: NateS Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Sat Nov 14 2015 12:12 AM
Nice to see everyone likes the pump. It was the most challenging pump I've worked on so far and it was also a very cool pump to be a part of!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Sat Nov 14 2015 03:12 AM
Here's some pictures of it all lit up!

Attached picture Wayne 50 lighted 2 001.JPG
Attached picture Wayne 50 lighted 2 002.JPG
Attached picture Wayne 50 lighted 2 003.JPG
Attached picture Wayne 50 lighted 2 004.JPG
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Sat Nov 14 2015 08:34 AM
Wow! Never seen a Wayne 50 lit up before. Killer Pump + Restoration!

There is a lot of history in that cabinet!

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Sat Nov 14 2015 03:35 PM
It is awesome. Nice to see it full. Most showcase display pumps I see are empty, only have a few things or have stuff that is not related to the brand the pump is it.
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Sat Nov 14 2015 04:09 PM
Great looking pump Kevin & Nate!
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Sun Nov 15 2015 02:57 AM
very cool Kevin!!!!
Posted By: blacktee Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Sun Nov 15 2015 03:29 AM

Now you're talking Kevin. Very, very nice. I like the mostly white cans at the top. ; )
Posted By: Terry Flannery Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Sun Nov 15 2015 01:36 PM
Very nice! Question, if one in the raw sold for 25K what's this one valued at? Don't hold back here high rollers.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Mon Nov 16 2015 12:42 AM
Terry-- Like any of these collectibles that we covet--its worth exactly what you can talk the next guy into paying for it on any given day--no more--no less!!!
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Wayne 50 restoration done! - Mon Nov 16 2015 12:45 AM
That looks fantastic Kevin!! Congrats.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk