Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Old Racer Been watching these pumps for twelve years........ - Tue Sep 01 2015 09:24 PM
Been watching these pumps for twelve years........
I drove past this house in a little town called Waupun about twelve years ago. It was in the winter and I spotted a yellow and red gas pump behind the house. I stopped and backed up and saw two visibles next to it. There was a Tok 36B, an American Visible and a Mae West. I went up to the house and rang the bell and asked about the pumps. The lady was very nice, but said they were not for sale. I thanked her and left my card. I watched the pumps for two more years and decided to send them a letter showing my interest. The lady very kindly responded, but again said the pumps were not for sale. For the next ten years I sent them a Christmas card every year. Last week she called me and said "Are you still interested in the gas pumps?" Of course I said yes. The yard has grown up around the pumps, but there they were. The 36B had come from the Peters Oil Co. there in Waupun. I have a Wayne 40 that came from the same company many years ago. We also acquired an Air Whip I have never seen before. The pictures tell the rest of the story.

Before we cut a path:

After we cut a path:

Ready to roll out:

Unusual Air Whip

I love your story!!!! It pays to treat people nicely. The pumps look great! Nice going!

Rob
Congrats, John... Not being pushy; worked out nicely, in the long run....
Yes very long run on persistence John. Nice find(s).
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Been watching these pumps for twelve years........ - Wed Sep 02 2015 12:00 AM
Love the Christmas card idea!!!
great story, awesome pumps !!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a fantastic group of pumps and story John.
Awesome! Nice pumps John.
Posted By: wocopep Re: Been watching these pumps for twelve years........ - Wed Sep 02 2015 01:18 AM
I ll bet the thrill was still just as great even after all those years
Great air whip !
Great items and better story. Congrats. Persistence paid off smile
Rad!!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Been watching these pumps for twelve years........ - Wed Sep 02 2015 02:01 AM
Great story with a happy ending. Love how you handled the deal.
Originally Posted By Signs&Neons
Great items and better story. Congrats. Persistence paid off smile

definitely did ... cool
Neat story and thanks for the pictures . Glad you saved them.
Thanks to Jack Sim, Craig Osbeck and Old Gas, I found the information on the "Air Station". I still can't believe I have never come across one of these before. Of course it is 95 years old. That's older than me or Jack Sim! -- cry

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=628056#Post628056
Originally Posted By Old Racer
Of course it is 95 years old. That's older than me or Jack Sim! -- cry

Only by a year or so... Good to hear you are still out getting this stuff buddy! We need to meet up one of these days, it has been way too long.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Been watching these pumps for twelve years........ - Wed Sep 02 2015 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By Mike M.
Love the Christmas card idea!!!

x2

very good idea.
Great story!! I am sure the annual Christmas card sealed the deal!! J
Posted By: Done4 Re: Been watching these pumps for twelve years........ - Wed Sep 02 2015 02:48 PM
Man. talk about perseverance, got to hand it to ya!
Great story and pumps! What a deal!
Posted By: ABCTrip Re: Been watching these pumps for twelve years........ - Thu Sep 03 2015 11:48 AM
Very nice. Class act handling the deal that way. An excellent role model for other collectors.
Nice work John!!! Leave a few for the rest of us cheese heads to find wink
Kudos to you on your polite persistence and cordial communication.
Thanks for anymore close up photos you can past later on too.
Originally Posted By Cold Pizza
Kudos to you on your polite persistence and cordial communication.
Thanks for anymore close up photos you can past later on too.

Close up coming soon. All pumps will be for sale. Not the air station.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.
I have met some fantastic people both buying and selling Petroliana.
I was taught if you offer a fair price when buying, it always comes back to you.
Originally Posted By Old Racer

I was taught if you offer a fair price when buying, it always comes back to you.

Just the other night I called on a pump for sale north of here. I asked the guy what he wanted for it and he told me $xx. I replied that I would pay more than that for the pump as it was too cheap. I ended up getting all four of his pumps for a reasonable price. On top of that, he is working on getting more. It even sounds like there are a few good ones coming!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk